Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• megoi 18 posts

Offered 35k MR on my Platinum Card via chat. Said I was disappointed as never had a retention bonus and told it’s based on spend.

Was quoted this “(35k MR = £157, over 25% of annual fee)” – I found their valuation interesting.

That’s based on their £4.50/1000MR statement credit burn rate – £157.50 to be precise.

Ahh – that makes sense Andrew. Just highlights the poor value of redeeming points in that way.

Andrew J 769 posts

Offered 35k MR on my Platinum Card via chat. Said I was disappointed as never had a retention bonus and told it’s based on spend.

Was quoted this “(35k MR = £157, over 25% of annual fee)” – I found their valuation interesting.

That’s based on their £4.50/1000MR statement credit burn rate – £157.50 to be precise.

Ahh – that makes sense Andrew. Just highlights the poor value of redeeming points in that way.

Indeed – if you want to burn MR you can get £8.00/1000 going to Nectar via BA.

Happeemonkee 23 posts

I was offered 35,000 MR today via chat but pushed back. Agent came back with a final offer of 50,000 MR which I accepted.

Harry Hightower 20 posts

I would definitely ask. I got one for my platinum cashback recently as I asked. None received before

What offer did they give you on the cashback card? I’d never thought to ask on that one before!

CarpalTravel 363 posts

I was offered 35,000 MR today via chat but pushed back. Agent came back with a final offer of 50,000 MR which I accepted.

That really is decent, may I ask (without wishing to get you to reveal too much info) what reason you gave for cancelling and how you pushed back (e.g. perhaps saying it wasn’t quite enough to convince you ?). I am planning to cancel mine and then get the business one in 6months, but would stay if I can get similar to you.

TGLoyalty 533 posts

That really is decent, may I ask (without wishing to get you to reveal too much info) what reason you gave for cancelling and how you pushed back (e.g. perhaps saying it wasn’t quite enough to convince you ?). I am planning to cancel mine and then get the business one in 6months, but would stay if I can get similar to you.

I’ve just had 50k to stay (initially offered 35k but said it’s not enough could they do better) and I was very honest that I was cancelling because I’m not using the insurance / priority pass because I’ve had no international travel but would rather not cancel and sign up again when it restarts.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

I’ve just had 50k to stay (initially offered 35k but said it’s not enough could they do better) and I was very honest that I was cancelling because I’m not using the insurance / priority pass because I’ve had no international travel but would rather not cancel and sign up again when it restarts.

Thank you very much for sharing. Mine would be the same (genuine) reason for cancelling and the rest is also true but it would not have occurred to me to of said it! Thank you.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Thank you TGL, really appreciate your sharing that. That is the same (genuine) reason I was going to give but wouldn’t have thought to say the rest, which would also be true. Thank you.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Thank you very much for sharing. Mine would be the same (genuine) reason for cancelling and the rest is also true but it would not have occurred to me to of said it! Thank you.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Guessing the disappearing post bug has been fixed then…. 😉

Guy Incognito 20 posts

I’ll see what they offer (if anything) as we’re going to cancel our business Platinum. They’ve just cut our credit limit significantly and got rid of the FX premium rewards. We had it mainly to hoover up points through ad spend and FX, and in the last week they’ve basically taken both of those away. In theory we can pay down the card every 10 days or so but that’s a huge hassle.

For reference, we put what I consider a relatively significant amount of spend on our card (last year it was circa £1.5m, and would have been higher but for credit limits) and a fair amount more than that on FX. If they kept FX and gave us a proper credit limit we would have done £5m+ this year.

jh1092 2 posts

Offered 50k to stay via chat on 14th February, which I accepted.

shub 87 posts

Accepted 35k to stay as well today via Chat

Gary 293 posts

Called Brighton for Amex Plat retention bonus. CS advised only had card for 6 months, so could only offer downgrade to gold. Is this usual? Is it matter of trying overseas call centre/chat? Or wait for a few more months?

BAPP is still our main card and been for years. Could justify holding Amex Plat for full year if offered bonus, but otherwise will just move MR and call back to cancel.

shub 87 posts

Called Brighton for Amex Plat retention bonus. CS advised only had card for 6 months, so could only offer downgrade to gold. Is this usual? Is it matter of trying overseas call centre/chat? Or wait for a few more months?

BAPP is still our main card and been for years. Could justify holding Amex Plat for full year if offered bonus, but otherwise will just move MR and call back to cancel.

I only had the card for 4 months or so and was offered 35k, you could try different time or chat after few days I think.

Faker 10 posts

Member since Feb 2020, got retention offer in 2021 around late feb.

Contacted them through chat to enquire about any retention offers – was told that I only have the following two offers available on my card:

1. Change the cards annual fees to monthly billings
    2. Switch to the American Express card

Very disappointing but will try again next week once the first anniversary of my last retention offer is up (maybe the system adds an offer then) and probably call them instead.

If anyone else had similar experiences would be good to hear their thoughts and if they succeeded later.
    F

Gary 293 posts

Wondering if having a different Amex card most transactions go through (BAPP in my case) sabotage any chance of good Amex Plat retention offers as Amex knows there is really no custom to retain?

Ps OH who is also main BAPP cardholder for some years closed Amex Plat recently again with no retention bonus offered.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Nadeshka 14 posts

I called up to cancel, genuinely, as I’d received the 70000 offer and having cancelled/postponed another trip couldn’t really justify the fee. Got the card in August.
    Was offered 75000 retention bonus, which really surprised me, I wasn’t expecting anything! Definitely enough to stop me cancelling for now.
    No idea what the metrics they use are – I have two other (free) Amex cards and spend hasn’t been much over the sign-up minimum spend.

TGLoyalty 533 posts

Wondering if having a different Amex card most transactions go through (BAPP in my case) sabotage any chance of good Amex Plat retention offers as Amex knows there is really no custom to retain?

Ps OH who is also main BAPP cardholder for some years closed Amex Plat recently again with no retention bonus offered.

I hardly spend on my platinum. Mainly when there are offers and the odd other transaction

Unique 15 posts

Contacted via chat and was offered 50K. I pushed back to check if they would offer any more but was told that was the most so I accepted.
    First time requesting a retention offer. Held the account for 4 years but currently spend is now on my BAPP.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Offered and accepted 50k, didn’t push for more as that is good for me. I’ll be cancelling my BAPP next month after many years of trusty ownership. The price increase of the card coupled with BA’s redemption tax hike has killed that for me, at least for now.

Fraser 53 posts

No points offer available (I was told I would have been offered this it if it was available, maybe too late?), but did get the choice of Gold free for a year, or Platinum with monthly instead of annual fee payments.

twoclicks 6 posts

Can I ask about how to kick off the conversation? Do you just call and say you’re thinking of cancelling, and then ask for the retention bonus?
    Grateful for any pointers!

Andrew J 769 posts

Can I ask about how to kick off the conversation? Do you just call and say you’re thinking of cancelling, and then ask for the retention bonus?
    Grateful for any pointers!

Exactly that. I was offered 50k earlier this week.

Yuff 40 posts

Offered 50k today, have had card since October.
    Points in my account straight away

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.