Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Railcard discount for IHG bookings

• dst87 264 posts

I’m unsure how many people know about this, but I don’t see it mentioned.

If you are a Railcard holder, you can book many IHG hotels with a 20% saving on the best flexible rate. In my experience the saving is legitimate, albeit typically a little less than 20% from the member rate.

I’ve found some hotels / dates where the rate doesn’t show up, but that seems uncommon. It doesn’t seem restricted to UK or European properties either as I’ve seen the rate for hotels in Canada too.

In theory the hotels should ask for proof of eligibility at check-in, though in my experience that hasn’t happened yet. You can browse the rates here: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/models/sandbox/railcard?true=000#term

A Two Together railcard costs only £30 / year, or just £10 of Clubcard vouchers.

Oh, and the bookings still earn points and can benefit from status.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    _aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

*clicks like / thanks button

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

Never knew that.

Page has the old IHG Rewards Club wording on it but the prices should be fine. In my experience, IHG has a fixed ‘partnerships’ rate which it offers to multiple organisations – Leeds Utd supporters got it at one point, British Swimming was a partner too (may still be) etc.

dst87 264 posts

In my experience, IHG has a fixed ‘partnerships’ rate which it offers to multiple organisations

That sounds right to me. While the Railcard wording is listed on the search form, the rate displayed is a fairly generic “Partner Rate” or something like that.

Possibly explains why hotels don’t bother asking for proof. I doubt they’d even know whether something you showed them was valid or not!

ChrisC 956 posts

Checked this a couple of times but this offer hasn’t worked for me at present. Maybe because I booked direct months ago and forgot to check using the railcard link!

Of couse important to check the cancellation criteria as advance bookings have a longer cancellation period before check in than BFR . Plus advance rates usually require a refundable deposit.

Interesting it works for non UK as well. Must check that out.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    ChrisC 956 posts

Just tried it for two bookiongs for the De Witt in Amsterdam and the IC in San Francisco and it does come up with the “Preferred Partner Rate at least 20% Off” in the description

Rate is 20% of the non member Best Flexible Rate (which works out out to be about 18% off the member BFR). IHG always quite discounts based on the non member rate,

BFR cancellation is 1 day before arrival. It’s 3 days for the promo rate. Refundable deposit required on the promo rate.

dst87 264 posts

Thanks for updating with the terms. I find 3 day cancellation window is almost always sufficient for my use (exclusively leisure travel) but I can see it being a problem for some.

I thought I’d read that deposit would be taken at three days before arrival, though that hasn’t actually happened for me in practice (on any rate supposedly requiring a deposit; I’m not sure why!)

Aston100 1,388 posts

Just tried it for two bookiongs for the De Witt in Amsterdam and the IC in San Francisco and it does come up with the “Preferred Partner Rate at least 20% Off” in the description

Rate is 20% of the non member Best Flexible Rate (which works out out to be about 18% off the member BFR). IHG always quite discounts based on the non member rate,

BFR cancellation is 1 day before arrival. It’s 3 days for the promo rate. Refundable deposit required on the promo rate.

Chris, I can’t find any dates between May and December this year at any hotels in Amsterdam.
    What dates did you pick, just so I can check what I’m doing wrong.

ChrisC 956 posts

August Bank holiday weekend. last weekend in October wmd weekend before christmas (Thur – Mon bookings)- all at the De Witt

I followed the link in the first post so used web version of IHG as it pre populates the discount code which isn’t selectable otherwise.

Aston100 1,388 posts

August Bank holiday weekend. last weekend in October wmd weekend before christmas (Thur – Mon bookings)- all at the De Witt

I followed the link in the first post so used web version of IHG as it pre populates the discount code which isn’t selectable otherwise.

Thanks, got it now.
    I’m seeing about 10% – 15% reductions.
    I’ll keep the link saved, might come in useful one day.

Thanks @dst87

dst87 264 posts

For what it’s worth, I’ve been able to search for these rates using the mobile app, too. I think after doing a search while logged in on desktop it I was able to tap “Best Available” on mobile app search and change to “Corporate Rate” instead. I may have had to manually enter the rate code… if so, that’s 786996886.

ChrisC 956 posts

just tried that. Even comes up as ‘railcard partner rate’

Task fot the weekend is to recheck my existing bookings and see if I can save some cash

Thanks for posting the reminder

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    ChrisC 956 posts

Checked into the IC San Francisco on Tuesday evening.

Wasn’t asked for any proof (I’d brought my railcard with me) that I qualified.

Of course that might be an omission on their part and I wouldn’t necessarily rely on every hotel not asking.

dst87 264 posts

I’ve checked into two different UK-based hotels now with the railcard rate and haven’t been asked either time. I have my railcard digitally anyway, so I’ll always have it to hand if I am asked.

Olly 242 posts

Is this offer still working? If so do you know the url? The link from the OP no longer works for me – just get an error page

Olly 242 posts

Found one though the rates don’t appear to be discounted vs. those shown in the app https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/news-offers/offers/ihg-hotels-resorts/

dst87 264 posts

If you choose the corporate rate option and enter 786996886, that’ll apply the railcard rate.

The rate is not available for all dates at all hotels, so if you don’t see the rate mentioned that’ll be why. At least in the app it tells you that the selected rate isn’t available.

AnotherUser 182 posts

Thanks for the helpful thread! I’ve found some hotels are taking the deposit quite early. If I do need to cancel a week or two in advance, they just have to refund the deposit?

John 1,000 posts

Thanks for the helpful thread! I’ve found some hotels are taking the deposit quite early. If I do need to cancel a week or two in advance, they just have to refund the deposit?

Yes, if that’s what it says.

I’ve noticed some new types of rates where you pay a deposit of the first night’s rate (for stays of more than one night) – the deposit is initially refundable but after some point it becomes non-refundable.

Though the hotel I’ve booked on this rate hasn’t taken the deposit despite being past the non-refundable deadline, but I can still cancel the whole stay and by the terms I would owe them only the first night’s rate. Then there’s a further deadline after which I would owe them the entire stay’s rate no matter what.

dst87 264 posts

Adding here for anyone curious – I just used the Confirmable Suite Upgrade voucher on a Railcard booking and that did not cause any issue, so this rate appears to be valid.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Is there an updated URL? the original one no longer works for me.

Thanks.

ChrisC 956 posts

Aston try via the rail card web page as the link to IHG does change.

Or just add the code to the “corporate code” box in the search engine – 786996886.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Aston try via the rail card web page as the link to IHG does change.

Or just add the code to the “corporate code” box in the search engine – 786996886.

Thanks Chris. The code worked.

ChrisC 956 posts

Just be aware to have a rail card on you when you check in.

I’ve not been asked for it yet but want to be prepared in case they do.

I also use mine for the novel concept of buying train tickets.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Just be aware to have a rail card on you when you check in.

I’ve not been asked for it yet but want to be prepared in case they do.

I also use mine for the novel concept of buying train tickets.

Indeed.
    I have a two together Railcard as I no longer have a car.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.