Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Refund of negative balance

• as02 22 posts

Hi. I currently have a negative balance on Gold card because of some refunds. I’m planning to close the card and perhaps downgrade to a free MR card (just to retain the MR points balance). What will happen to my negative card balance if I do so? Will it be refunded to my bank account? Or will be it transferred to the new card’s balance?
    I would ideally like the former as I don’t plan to use the MR card at all.

as02 22 posts

I also have an active BAPP card. Will transferring the negative balance to that card be an option?

Reney 770 posts

i have previously managed yo get the balances transferred to another card or pay out. Just decide and ask them.

as02 22 posts

i have previously managed yo get the balances transferred to another card or pay out. Just decide and ask them.

How much was the amount? Will it be an issue if it’s as high as £2,000?

John 1,001 posts

There’s no issue. If you do nothing they will eventually send you a cheque or refund to your direct debit bank account, even for £1

truthbetold 130 posts

Previously could transfer refund from a closed account to an active account , but Amex now refusing this and insist on sending to bank account or a cheque (how 1999!)

Sadly it took several chasers to find this out, first guy agreed to transfer the credit and a week later it hadn’t been done. Now it’s 10 business days to receive the payment.

Chris 3 posts

I cancelled my Amex BA card, and direct debt, in 2022. It took about a year of them sending me statements before they finally issued a closing check. I didn’t bother to chase them for it.

ChrisBCN 237 posts

I always think it’s just easier to spend on the card to get the balance back to 0, if you go a little over then the DD will take it.

You could even buy things like Amazon gift card for yourself.

BBbetter 649 posts

Ask them for a cheque. Will be sent within 2 weeks of cancellation.

sm 179 posts

Closed gold card over 2 years ago and have reapplied for a new account to get SUB but noticed on my cancelled card there’s a silly £0.67 owed to me. I’m hoping this will not affect my eligibility for SUB? 🙏

davefl 1,225 posts

I would expect that if you had a positve balance your account can’t be closed.

Did you not receive letters in the post reminding you of this? They sent me one every month until I asked for the refund.

BBbetter 649 posts

An account can be closed and still receive a refund or credit.
    Receiving refunds is a routine event, nothing new, even for closed cards.
    That will not impact your sign up bonus.

truthbetold 130 posts

I thought it was routine until Amex started asking for proof that a small partial insurance premium refund was genuine. Is there some scam going on around card refunds that I haven’t read about? Seems odd that Amex are being so difficult over peanuts.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.