Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Renewing Silver status – your help please!

• alexacohen 1 post

Obviously i cant get through to speak to anyone at BA but i wondered if any of you can help?

I want to know how I can renew silver but im confused about all of the reduced tier points info.

I currently have silver. My tier point collection year ends in June 2023 and my card expired in July 2023.

I have been told by someone on the chat that if i dont have 450 tier points by December, I will be downgraded to bronze and then i need to earn 600 points still? that can’t be right can it? any help would be much appreciated!!!!

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

Rob did an article on this recently but basically you need to earn 450 TPs between your TP year end and 31/12 to retain, or obtain Silver. In fact, I think if you already have Silver it’s been reduced to 300 but I’m not sure if that’s for everyone or they just targeted members with certain TP year end dates. Plus your 4 BA flights, of course. From 1/1/23 it resets to the old collection number, so 600 TPs for Silver.

But you won’t be downgraded to Bronze on 1/1, that’s not how it works, you will stay Silver until next July if you don’t re-qualify. BA talk a lot of rubbish.

ZoeB 88 posts

So you can either earn 450 tier points before end December to earn Silver (covid reduced the requirements )
    or earn 600 tier points before June 2023 and earn Silver.
    Otherwise you will drop to Bronze next summer

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

Some people were being offered Silver retention for 300 TPs, so worth checking if that’s going to affect the OP.

WaynedP 258 posts

Your Silver status will last until end July 2023. From 1 August 2023 to 31 July 2024, you will drop to Bronze status, unless you re-earn Silver status between now and 8 June 2023.

To re-earn Silver status for the year 1 August 2023 to 31 July 2024, you will need to accrue 600 Tier Points (and fly 4 “BA” flights – meaning typically on a British Airways liveried aeroplane, but some Iberia flights booked with a BA flight number also count as “BA” flights, so fact-check for yourself if you intend to pursue) between 9 June 2022 and 8 June 2023.

As a concession, if you manage to earn 450 Tier Points (plus the 4 “BA” flights) between 9 June 2022 and 31 December 2022, you will successfully qualify for Silver for the period 1 August 2023 to 31 July 2024. Consider it a goodwill gesture offering accelerated status (for this year only) from BA if you will.

However, if you have fewer than 450 Tier Points on 31 December 2022 (or haven’t flown the 4 “BA” flights) then you will have to make up the shortfall to 600 TPs AND 4 “BA” flights between 1 January 2023 and 8 June 2023 to re-earn Silver status for the period 1 August 2023 to 31 July 2024.

WaynedP 258 posts

Some people were being offered Silver retention for 300 TPs, so worth checking if that’s going to affect the OP.

Only for Tier Point collection end date between 1 July 2022 and 30 September 2022, so OP just misses out on that one by the looks of things.

VinZ 142 posts

I’ll have 440 TP next week – how do I get the 10TP I need before end of Dec to retain silver? Any tips?

Froggee 887 posts

I’ll have 440 TP next week – how do I get the 10TP I need before end of Dec to retain silver? Any tips?

The cheapest day return flight you can find. 2 x 5 tier points = 10.

I’ve been recommending Jersey recently but you could e.g. spend a day in Edinburgh on the 8th of November for £86. It is generally warm and sunny up here at this time of year. You may wish to bring a sweater in case the plane is cold but Edinburgh will be a balmy mid 20s most likely.

Terwri 23 posts

Geneva day trip on a Sunday. I got my required 10 pts for just over £100 and a pleasant few hours in gva ( 6 mins by train from the airport)

VinZ 142 posts

Fantastic! Thank you both

yonasl 952 posts

Use google flights, you can search for a departing point only (i.e.: London) and filter for One World Airlines (be careful no to use Vueling).

For instance, this would be weekends in Nov.
    https://www.google.com/travel/explore?tfs=CBwQAxokagwIAxIIL20vMDRqcGwSCjIwMjItMTAtMjAyCE9ORVdPUkxEGiQSCjIwMjItMTAtMjRyDAgDEggvbS8wNGpwbDIIT05FV09STERwAoIBBAgKEAFAAUgBmAEBsgEEGAEgAQ&tfu=GgA

Or Sat 26 Nov. (same day return)
    https://www.google.com/travel/explore?tfs=CBwQAxokagwIAxIIL20vMDRqcGwSCjIwMjItMTEtMjYyCE9ORVdPUkxEGiQSCjIwMjItMTEtMjZyDAgDEggvbS8wNGpwbDIIT05FV09STERwAYIBBAgKEAFAAUgBmAEBsgEEGAEgAQ&tfu=GgA

tiriavpo 312 posts
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.