Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Returning Customer SUB / Member Since…

• FatherOfFour 274 posts

My wife had a Gold rewards card which she cancelled in March ’20. No other Amex apart from a supplementary. She has applied for and received a new Gold card, but it says Member since ’18 on the front. No SUB tracker on her app (IIRC, this was temperamental and came and went as it pleased). and her OLD cancelled card still shows in her online servicing account.

Is there any concern here that she might not be eligible for the SUB?

Luca M 391 posts

When I have closed Amex cards in the past these have dropped virtually immediately from my online account / app.

The fact that her old card still show would suggest that her card was not cancelled at all in the first place. Do you/does she have a copy of the letter confirming cancellation? Amex always sent me one.

travelwell 52 posts

The lack of tracker seems strange but it’s standard to put the original join date on new cards. Mine has it on but I still got the SUB

FatherOfFour 274 posts

Thanks – reassured about the original join date on the card showing.

The original card does say “CANCELLED” with an orange dot against it, so I think the account did close. I believe she got a paper closure statement too.

In my experience, I have had to manually remove cancelled cards from the app and have usually left this a few months, especially if expecting a refund on something.

Luca M 391 posts

The lack of tracker seems strange but it’s standard to put the original join date on new cards. Mine has it on but I still got the SUB

Again, as far as you never interrupted completely your relationship with Amex (you always had at least an Amex Card) member since will stay as the original year (and will only get a new one if you have got a Centurion Card, where the membership year for that card only, will be when you first got it). My understanding is that when you cancel all your Amex cards and then re-apply after a considerable gap, your “member since” will be reset (in USA this looks to be different and you can ask to back date to a previous member since year as the membership since is actually reported to the credit agencies over there, instead of the real credit account opening date for each card).

Edited: it looks like the OP wife card is indeed cancelled but potentially left available to download statement and the likes. This may be the reason, that although no active card account was there, the system see continuity of membership, and this at the same time could cause issue in earning the bonus. Definitely worth a call

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.