Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Shocking treatment after cancellation

• memesweeper 1,255 posts

I was booked with Singapore KrisFlyer miles onto a transatlantic flight with United last week. I could not check in online, and, smelling a rat, decided to head for Heathrow an hour ahead of my already ample time I’d left for checkin. I was looking forward to the lounge too, apparently not bad in T2, and I’ve never travelled with United.

On arrival I discover the flight is cancelled. As a regular on these forums, and having picked an obscure (and in the event of problems no doubt low priority), route to book I was expecting, as I walked from checkin to the customer service desk, no end of wrangling as the airline would doubtless try and route me via Houston in six days time in economy, or refer me back to Singapore, or just refund me. Shockingly they immediately handed me a ticket for the almost identically timed BA flight. No threat of legal action or in-airport sit in required. Just the minor inconvenience of a trip to T5 and the same lounge as ever, which trades off against a superior A380 and the best club seat on the plane to boot (56B).

On my return I made use of United’s generous same-day change policy, which applies to redemptions, and allows any sane route to your final destination to be booked same day. Note, this couldn’t be done on the phone, and the first checkin desk person inadvertently put me in Premium on the changed long-leg. Second time at checkin, when actually wanting to fly, this was noticed by me and fixed by them, again without delay, drama or legal threats.

Empowered people at the airport, even at outstations, and a commitment to putting things right seems to be United’s culture. Makes a huge difference to customer experience. After my experiences with European carriers in similar situations I’m still in shock.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Impressive service and good to read such a positive post for a change. Thank you @memesweeper Empowered staff at airports, not the need to call a contact centre, now that’s an idea.

Lady London 2,045 posts

Absolutely shocking @memesweeper 🙂

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,083 posts

BA also empowers its staff in those circumstances but we rarely hear about them doing so!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.