Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Singapore hotel recommendations

• steve7612 32 posts

We’re looking at doing a 2 night stopover in Singapore and want to treat ourselves to one of the nicer hotels. We want to book through Amex platinum fine hotels to take advantage of 4pm checkout as we have a late flight departure. We have narrowed down to Raffles, mandarin oriental or the ritz.

Does anyone have any first hand experience staying in any of these? Raffles is a bit more expensive that the others and the mandarin appears to be having a refurb (we are travelling after the refurb).

Froggee 897 posts

Raffles was above my pay grade but is generally well regarded and certainly has the most cachet.

I love the Mandarin Oriental and in my view it’s well worth paying up for lounge access. I also like the fact that I once checked in there with a senior colleague and got welcomed back with an upgrade to a full suite whereas he got a standard room. Our Singapore office changed location which meant that the list of hotels we had locally sourced corporate rates with changed. After trying the new ones I just took to booking the Mandarin Oriental via our UK travel agent as I much preferred it. It meant about 15 minutes barrelling through shopping malls and MRT tunnels in the morning but I felt it was worth it for a good night’s sleep and a room I was happy in.

I was never a fan of the Ritz Carlton. The rooms are bigger than the Mandarin Oriental but I never found it as “comfy” if that makes any sense. Also I invariably found there to be a weird toilety smell in the bathroom. And I swear it wasn’t me.

However I had a colleague who hated the Mandarin Oriental with a passion although mainly because the elevators freaked him out. He’d stay at the Ritz Carlton every time in preference so your mileage may vary as they say.

For what it’s worth, if it’s just a couple of nights and you’re new to Singapore I’d pay up for Raffles as it is quintessentially Singapore. But I’ve never stayed there!

steve7612 32 posts

Thank you for your detailed post.

yorkshireRich 186 posts

We loved the Mandarin oriental when we stayed a couple of years ago (for one night). We booked again for our honeymoon but due to covid, it was cancelled.

We looked at it again for when we go next March and the price as drastically risen. I have noted that it seems just a set price everyday so I assume maybe once it opens again, the prices may go down.

Supergers49 225 posts

We are just back from Singapore last Saturday. Though we didn’t stay there this time, we have found Raffles to be our favourite hotel and would highly recommend a courtyard suite.

I have never stayed at the Mandarin Oriental, however during our recent visit virtually none of the room lights were on in the evening. With all the other hotels you could see a density of room lights switched on, especially those rooms overlooking Marina Bay. However, in the MO just 1 or 2 on that side of the building (and barely more on the others). My assumption at the time was “refurb” and that appears to have been the case. I share this not as criticism but as intel, e.g., if you are booking for Q4 onwards you could safely assume the Bay view rooms will all be refurbed, alternatively there might be continued disruption within the hotel.

We stayed at both IC hotels during our recent visit, and though clearly not in the same bracket as Raffles, MO or Ritz… with Ambassador you would get 4PM checkout. We thoroughly enjoyed both hotels. Robertson Quay is more modern, well appointed and has a nice location on the river but with smaller rooms. However personally I would select the Middle Rd IC due to its larger rooms, pool and proximity to Kampong Glam, Little India and the MRT.

steve7612 32 posts

Thanks, yes it appears the MO is being refurbished currently and that’s a very good point about ongoing work and disruption. My heart says Raffles but just want to be able to justify the cost.

Supergers49 225 posts

That was easy for me. My mum and dad stayed there in the 70s when they first emigrated to Singapore, so had to return to take photos for my mum… clearly I could have done that without being a resident, but where’s the fun in that 🙂

The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

You might want to compare it against the valley wing at the Shangri La, which I thought was very nice and is on FHR I believe.

I’ve never stayed at Raffles but the place always seemed to be crawling with visitors simply because it’s so iconic. As a guest I’d worry about feeling like an exhibit in a zoo.

Jill Kinkell 154 posts

We decided to stay at the Pan Pacific. Not a FHR but has a fantastic top floor club room , great panoramic views and lovely food. Going back again later in year. Raffles long bar for a SS. Thought the room rates ridiculously expensive.
    Staying in MO in HK on return trip.
    Whatever you book I’m sure will be memorable

u07ch 63 posts

Of your choices RC is a top rate luxury business focussed hotel. Whilst Raffles is a first rate tourist hotel; though it is also full of tourists visiting the shops and bars so despite the calm you want sometimes it’s a bit frustrating. Stayed at Ritz Carlton in December and February and as it was pre pandemic and was still is excellent afterwards; Club Lounge especially so. Good quality food and drink pretty much whenever you want it. The hotel is full of art; has a decent pool and if you book a marina facing room you get a view of a spectacular skyline view. Internet speeds were also 200mb/s which is esoteric but matters to me. Desk is good size; windows are huge; some rooms have baths with windows that face harbour or city. Lobby can be busy especially at start / end of day for people going to meetings in the hotel.

Four seasons is another nice choice if you want luxury and to be closer to shopping on Orchard/ Scotts roads.

Capella is a long way from the hustle on Sentosa but it is outstanding and a fantastic place to relax in the jungle. If you just want to relax this should be high on your list.

Shangri la and Krunthep wing are nice rooms are a bit twee for me and I prefer the RC lounge; and the buffet evening meal is fabulous; the gardens are nice for walking around but Singapore is full of gardens so im not sure the bonus. Its a ways away from everything you might be going to.

Michael C 669 posts

We stayed at the RC in a Marina Bay view club room – just spectacular at night, always left the blinds open!
    The lounge options were among the best I’ve ever seen, and ever-changing throughout the day (always with champagne).

I also think the MO is gorgeous, though the rooms really are a lot smaller; however, at least a few years ago, it did have for me the best Sunday brunch!

Agree with @Jill Kinkell about the PanPac – even though I haven’t been post-refurb! The lifts and lounge alone are worth it. Looking forward to seeing their new hotel this summer.

Surprised the Fullerton Bay hasn’t been mentioned, excellent throughout.

Raffles will of course always be THE classic, but I do wonder if you’re not better off doing the Long Bar cocktails / tea in the Tiffin Room, as opposed to staying there.

Oh, and the Goodwood was v cute way back when!

Sure @SamG can give more up-to-date advice.

We’ll be in the new Hilton flagship in a few weeks – will report back!

SamG 1,644 posts

Personally I agree with others staying not to stay at Raffles, I think it is ridiculously overpriced since the refurb !

I am kinda +1 on the Ritz-Carlton, it’s a very good location (get a room with a view), the hotel hard product is great (their art collection is amazing!) and they’ve redone their F&B recently, the bar is lovely for a late cocktail. But perhaps it’s because I’ve only stayed for work I feel like it’s quite a business vibe ?

Excited to see what the M.O is like after renovation , could be an option. I haven’t stayed but I believe the cheaper rooms are small there as others have said.

For more holiday vibes I too like the suggestions of a decent room at the Pan Pacific (love their buffet The Edge!) or the Valley Wing at the Shangri-La

SamG 1,644 posts

If you have any hotel points Singapore can be a great place to spend, hotel rates are still quite nuts. I stayed at a local chain place recently for work as it was the only option available on our corporate rates. They wanted 350 quid a night publiclly and honestly it was no better than a Premier Inn, very little public space, no room service etc. The big chains were 500+ pn!

Supergers49 225 posts

If you have any hotel points Singapore can be a great place to spend, hotel rates are still quite nuts. I stayed at a local chain place recently for work as it was the only option available on our corporate rates. They wanted 350 quid a night publiclly and honestly it was no better than a Premier Inn, very little public space, no room service etc. The big chains were 500+ pn!

Quite, we recently stayed in Singapore for 11 nights, 5x IC RQ + 6x IC MR, and the average rate across the stay was 37k per night, which was virtually half the cash cost for the advance non-refundable rates. Combined with IHG Diamond Breakfast and flying Club Suite on a Companion Voucher it was a remarkably good value holiday.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Following this as SIN is definitely on my bucket list – I had a great aunt and uncle who lived there in the 50s and 60s and they always made it sound so glamorous (after they retired to Morecambe, lol).

BlueLabel 14 posts

We visited last summer and stayed in the Shangri-La Valley Wing, as well as the Intercon on Middle Road and Shangri-La on Sentosa. We booked the next room category down with Emyr for a guaranteed upgrade to the Valley Wing. It felt very exclusive with its own entrance and breakfast in the Summit Room, plus Veuve Cliquot all day in the lobby. Large suite – the decor is a bit 1990s but it’s well maintained.

Service was generally good, although we had an incident with the inclusive afternoon tea when they brought over two cake stands while my wife and daughter popped to the loo. My son and I duly scoffed the lot, and ordered two more stands only to be told that the two stands were actually for four people. Even when I explained our mistake they wouldn’t bring any more. My wife thought it was hilarious so we didn’t push but it was just a bit awkward!

Overall an exceptional trip, with BA F each way 🙂

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

We visited last summer and stayed in the Shangri-La Valley Wing, as well as the Intercon on Middle Road and Shangri-La on Sentosa. We booked the next room category down with Emyr for a guaranteed upgrade to the Valley Wing. It felt very exclusive with its own entrance and breakfast in the Summit Room, plus Veuve Cliquot all day in the lobby. Large suite – the decor is a bit 1990s but it’s well maintained.

Service was generally good, although we had an incident with the inclusive afternoon tea when they brought over two cake stands while my wife and daughter popped to the loo. My son and I duly scoffed the lot, and ordered two more stands only to be told that the two stands were actually for four people. Even when I explained our mistake they wouldn’t bring any more. My wife thought it was hilarious so we didn’t push but it was just a bit awkward!

Overall an exceptional trip, with BA F each way 🙂

The cake stand story is hilarious – I have to ask @BlueLabel … are you and son very fast eaters or is it just that the missus and daughter were a veeeeery long time in the powder room 🙂 ?!

BlueLabel 14 posts

Oh, GG we can easily sink a tier per minute!

chrisw1983 48 posts

My wife and I stayed at raffles pre refurb and it was the best hotel experience we have had. From the butlers to Singapore slings in the bar to the greatest Sunday brunch. It is very old school with its looks and style and definitely isn’t as big and vast as some resort hotels

shilly 111 posts

Have to agree with @chrisw1983 Raffles is my all time favourite hotel. We had 2 butlers don’t know why and the whole experience was excellent. The hotel wasn’t overcrowded and never felt like it was including the pool area as you need a room key to go in the lift etc. I love that colonial look and hoping to go back next January and see what the refurb has brought.

No Longer Entitled 117 posts

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but as a slight deviation, are any of those mentioned above good for families?

We are in Singapore with two teenagers in August so really we (i.e. they) want a pool and a view. Lounges, bars, and even breakfast, are of limited if any amenity so it often feels like we pay top dollar for a second room with none of the benefits.

The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but as a slight deviation, are any of those mentioned above good for families?

We are in Singapore with two teenagers in August so really we (i.e. they) want a pool and a view. Lounges, bars, and even breakfast, are of limited if any amenity so it often feels like we pay top dollar for a second room with none of the benefits.

How long are you in Singapore for? If it’s more than – i think – 6 nights, check out a serviced apartment. The taxes are significantly lower than hotel rooms, they’ll stock the fridge for you before arrival at supermarket prices, you have laundry facilities etc. We had some great stays at the Lanson Winsland Place near Somerset MRT with the kids. Functional pool with nice loungers on the roof, central location etc.

If a shorter stay, as noted elsewhere, look at buying points. We are out there with the kids this summer and bought IHG points in the promo to stay at the IC Robertson Quay, but obviously cheaper options exit, too. There’s a new HIEX just opened at Novena that might work if you’re trying to keep the costs down. Cash rates in early August are about the £120 a night mark per room.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

The best for families is Shangri la. No other hotel within the city comes close.

No Longer Entitled 117 posts

TRST: We are only there 3 nights. Sadly the IHG promo ended yesterday. Hilton, even with the current 100% bonus, doesn’t offer a saving over cash. I need to check Marriott.

BBB: The Sentosa one? Post Singapore we have lots of beaches lined up in Thailand so for this one I’m gearing more towards the city so that we can explore from our doorstep given the limited time available. Not that I have been to Singapore so it might be possible that no where is ‘out of the way’.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

BBB: The Sentosa one? Post Singapore we have lots of beaches lined up in Thailand so for this one I’m gearing more towards the city so that we can explore from our doorstep given the limited time available. Not that I have been to Singapore so it might be possible that no where is ‘out of the way’.

No, the one in the city centre. It’s like an oasis amongst a concrete jungle. Kids have many options to keep them occupied. The Garden wing has terraces while Tower wing has one floor dedicated to families with young kids. They also have a few rooms with themed beds for kids.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.