Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Tui Amex offer

• supergraeme 128 posts

Hello all.

I’ve currently got a 5% back (up to £100) offer on transactions at tui.co.uk (has to be on the site) on my Plat but neither of our cards will work. I’ve seen on Twitter that I’m not alone – someone raised this with Amex who said they were looking into it five days ago, but have since gone silent. The cynic in me of course says it won’t ever work because they don’t want to pay out.

Has anyone been able to use this or had any response from either company?

Thanks everyone.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

I thought Tui stopped taxing amex back in 2019 / 2020?

MattB 261 posts

Well if they did it didn’t last long, I paid for my In Laws cruise with my Plat card a while back.

supergraeme 128 posts

I had no idea they took it – I assumed they didn’t and they don’t display the logo on the payment page, but the offer is there on both of our cards. It says they do elsewhere on the site and they say they do over the phone, but obviously that won’t trigger the offer.

Amex have said that Tui don’t even attempt to take a payment, so the problem is Tui’s end. I’ve spoken to four people there; three of whom had no idea and one who thought she’d heard about it, said she’d raise it with IT and to just keep trying.

Elle55e 4 posts

I used the offer 9th July, to pay off the balance, not a new booking. Amex email received next day to confirm offer used. Cashback posted 11th July, no issues at all.

supergraeme 128 posts

Thanks Elle55e, that’s reassuring to know. Fingers crossed they get it sorted soon as I want to cancel the Plat.

squawk7700 83 posts

Booked TUI flights just now using Amex Plat (hoping for the 5%) and it went through no problem.

Ruralite 26 posts

I booked Weds evening with Tui, the payment is still showing as pending on my Amex PRG but I got an email from Amex this morning confirming I had used the offer. Once the payment hits I’m hoping the £100 credit will follow within a few days, I’ve not had long delays with offer credits but sometimes they have taken a week or so to show recently. Tui plus the PayPal offers, which I will use over the next couple of months, will easily cover the £140 annual fee on my latest statement so happy with that!

Ruralite 26 posts

Update on the Tui cash back, I’ve just got round to checking my account and the £100 credited 2 days after the pending Tui debit went through so, in my experience anyway, Amex seem to have upped their game in processing offers.

phil 27 posts

Looks like the problem has resurfaced. I’ve tried three times to pay online over the past week and each time the payment fails. Tui have acknowledged they have a technical problems accepting Amex payments online and have no timescales to fix this. I’d like to take advantage of the latest 5% cashback offer but more importantly ensure I have the full platinum level of insurance which is predicated on paying the holiday on an Amex card.

Magarathea 51 posts

Amex worked for me fine at the weekend on a TUI booking and I’ve since had the 5% cashback.

phil 27 posts

I have received an email from TUI in response to a complaint I sent and the email states they no longer accept American Express online. Not sure if it’s a case of the rep being mistaken or if there is something else going on. The couple of customer service reps I have spoken to in the call centre have been a bit cagey and it’s hard to believe a technical issue would still be going on days later. I’m starting to wonder if there is some kind of commercial dispute going on between Tui and Amex… has anyone been able to make a payment to TUI online since last weekend?

MattB 261 posts

Not sure but I just noticed the tui 5% offer is longer showing on my card. I’m 99% sure I saved it and the expiry wasn’t for a while as my wife was looking to book something and specifically asked if we had tui discounts anywhere.

Magarathea 51 posts

As noted above, my TUI online payment worked last weekend using an Amex card. The TUI 5% offer was still showing on a different Amex card today and I’ve just successfully made another online payment. Still seems to be working fine for me. In the past when TUI did not take Amex, you could still pay using your Amex card via Paypal but you had to look out for Section 75 cover and Amex offers typically don’t work via Paypal. Good luck to those struggling.

chrishond 42 posts

Not sure but I just noticed the tui 5% offer is longer showing on my card. I’m 99% sure I saved it and the expiry wasn’t for a while as my wife was looking to book something and specifically asked if we had tui discounts anywhere.

Has it on 2 cards, both disappeared

Gary 293 posts

Split paid our Tui holiday with two Amex Plat on 24 Jan via the call centre as had no luck paying online like most here. T&Cs of Tui offer specified online transactions only.

Was surprised to have received £100 x2 credit on 24 Mar. So thanks to those who contacted Amex to flag the issue, and check your account even if paid via Tui call centre.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.