Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Housekeeping Two Design Suggestions around replies and quotes:

• The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

You need to use the ‘quote’ button if you want to reply to someone.

That’s where things break down I think Rhys.
    On Windows desktop Chrome….
    It’s highly intuitive to reply to a specific post by hitting “reply” yet that’s not what happens. Reply seems to just add a new unconnected post to the bottom of the thread … which makes it illogical to have it on every post. It’s a redundant button.
    You do get a proper attached reply if you hit “quote” but the issue here is that the button actually just dumps the relevant quote as a text in the “reply to” box at the bottom of the webpage (offscreen). With no hint that this has happened. It’s therefore highly non-intuitive and you can end up with several identical quotes in you reply box as you repeatedly hit “quote” thinking nothing happened.

Design suggestions:
    1) Remove “reply” button on individual posts altogether.
    2) Retain “quote” button on individual posts but rename it as “reply”
    3) When quote button is hit the webpage needs to reposition oto the reply text box.

Hope that all makes sense – tried to make it clear!

The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

EDITED: quote nesting was OK after hard reset.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

A list of most recent posts would actually be very useful.

How useful – well some other forums realise this is such a powerful tool they have it as their root address page! For a travel example that is really basic but works well, see:

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/

Aston100 1,388 posts

I wonder if this third attempt at a reply will work?

EDIT: interesting. I hit the quote button and submitted – twice, but neither one has appeared.
    A direct reply (this post) has appeared though.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

I’ve already said that we are merging the reply and quote buttons!

Check the ‘recent topics’ button in the top right forum menu!

Aston100 1,388 posts

How useful – well some other forums realise this is such a powerful tool they have it as their root address page! For a travel example that is really basic but works well, see:

I could have sworn I just replied to this a minute ago.

Anyway, doesn’t the ‘recent topics’ button do that? (though it is mislabelled)

Aston100 1,388 posts

Doesn’t the ‘recent topics’ button already do that (though it is mislabelled as it shows recent posts rather than topics/thread)

Youllnever 182 posts

I’ve already said that we are merging the reply and quote buttons!

Check the ‘recent topics’ button in the top right forum menu!

‘Recent posts’ would immediately surface the post messages itself though. ‘Recent topics’ doesn’t.

danimal 85 posts

One other design suggestion. At the moment the reply/quote button area has a border above and below it making it really unclear which reply/quote do you use? The one above the post or the one below it. I would have thought intuitively it would be below AFTER you have read it but by scrolling to the top I found it’s actually above the post. You just need to remove one of the borders then it will appear “at one” with its post.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.