Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Virgin Trains Ticketing app

• AL 568 posts

Virgin Trains Ticketing app launched today on iOS and Android. Just made a booking – seems much the same as the experience through the Virgin Red app was. The two advantages I see are not having to hunt about in Virgin Red to find the right section to book a ticket, and the ability to see your pending points earned from train travel.

davefl 1,217 posts

They’re really miffed about losing those franchises aren’t they!

AL 568 posts

The current operators of the WCML are incompetent. Were there issues with VT? Sure. Have the incumbent resolved those sufficiently? No.

ChrisC 956 posts

Do I need to do any special or can I just add my flying club number into the booking?

davefl 1,217 posts

The current operators of the WCML are incompetent. Were there issues with VT? Sure. Have the incumbent resolved those sufficiently? No.

Did we expect anything different? No.

Andrew. 480 posts

With LNER rebates fairly ubiquitous across the banks (8% at Virgin Money), it would have to be a very generous return of points to book trains with Virgin.

AL 568 posts

Do I need to do any special or can I just add my flying club number into the booking?

You need to – if you haven’t already – create a Virgin Red account, after you download the Virgin Red app, then attach your VAA Flying Club number to Virgin Red via the Virgin Red app. Then, download the Virgin Trains Ticketing app from your app store of choice, and then sign in to your Virgin Red account.

You could, at that point, then delete the Virgin Red app, but it’s useful for sausage roll redemptions at Greggs…

AL 568 posts

With LNER rebates fairly ubiquitous across the banks (8% at Virgin Money), it would have to be a very generous return of points to book trains with Virgin.

I think you’ll double dip, because VT Ticketing through Virgin Red issue the Virgin Points, but your bank issues the cashback. Try it – I’ve always been able to double dip both VAA Points (when I was charging to my VAA card) and AmEx points.

Philondon 274 posts

I got an email about this today from Virgin Red. The new train app gives 3 Virgin points for every £1 spent. Downloaded it straight away!!

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

I have 1% Curve cashback (for life presumably) on Trainline which I think I calculated in the past as more use to me than Virgin points.

Harrier25 849 posts

Living in the West Midlands the West Coast line is our fastest route into London and I want Virgin Trains back. Avanti are awful!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.