Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Virgin Voyages Master Thread (do NOT post referral codes – use other thread)

• Travel Strong 258 posts

Kicking off a thread for Virgin Voyages (Offers / Top Tips / Booking queries / Positioning flight considerations / Sharing itineraries)

Please add feedback/trip reports once you have sailed too!

Highlights from Comments sections:-
    – Reminder if transferring from Amex MR to Virgin to call Amex rather transfer online
    – Points redemption Access Keys generally arrive next day from the sender ‘Reward Genie’
    – Good availability for redemptions (no problems getting desired dates when launched May ’22)
    – Cancellation seems possible for points refund if you can’t use the Access Key
    – 2nd traveller names does not need to be added until just before sailing
    – Upgraded cabins are made available for cash nearer the sailing date
    – Inclusive except Alcohol, but several things attract a supplement (e.g. Spa)
    – Occasional offers for on board credit (e.g. $300 for $350 Credit)
    – Appears to be an App for on board use (not really commented on yet as of May ’22)
    – Yes you could get off the ship early and fly back from a different airport
    – Post-booking information states get to BCN cruise terminal latest 3hrs before sailing (3pm)

Travel Strong 258 posts

Links to Original Articles / Comments Sections: (Focussed on Valiant Lady / Med Cruise)
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/04/14/virgin-voyages-cruise-for-80000-virgin-points/

Travel Strong 258 posts
    Travel Strong 258 posts
    Travel Strong 258 posts

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/12/31/virgin-voyages-scarlet-lady-review/ (Scarlet Lady / USA Cruise)

EDIT: Links split across messages to avoid spam filter.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    JenT 150 posts

The app for onboard use is good – follow the instructions given to you when you board otherwise it won’t work! Good advice is to book restaurants/times as soon as you board as popular times can sell out. You can book other stuff on there too (gym classes etc) and see menus too.

Happy to answer questions on VV if anyone is curious about what it’s like. We stayed in a suite so can also give info on the extras that you get. I also recommend the Cruise Critic messageboards for information – plenty of details out there.

Travel Strong 258 posts

Booking: ‘The Irresistible Med’ 2nd October.
    Planning on going solo and indeed it did not even ask for a 2nd sailor name during booking (so that is only added at check in).

Flights: Budget/Regional flights £200+ with carry on only.
    Opted for BA Club Europe from LHR for £50 + 29k Avios.

Regarding flights, it seems like a good plan to fly the day before and have Saturday night in Barcelona, for a leisurely trip to the cruise terminal on the Sunday (Hilton Barcelona booked for 50k Hilton points).

Nath4n 67 posts

Is the pool as ridiculously small as it looks in the pictures?

pbcold 347 posts

Thank you for starting this thread. I have just contacted VV by chat to change my cabin. It took approximately 5 minutes total.

https://help.virginvoyages.com/s/contactus

JenT 150 posts

I wouldn’t say it’s small, but it isn’t really for swimming. I didn’t see it being used much – the hot tubs were much more popular!

modestpointscollector 64 posts

From the videos i’ve seen, it somehow seems even smaller than it looks in the pictures. It’s basically a plunge tub with a large paddling pool around it.

HSV 33 posts

Anyone know if I can use my Virgin Red account to redeem the cruise offer and do the booking in my son and his wife’s name? Thinking of getting it has a present for them. Thanks

Travel Strong 258 posts

Anyone know if I can use my Virgin Red account to redeem the cruise offer and do the booking in my son and his wife’s name? Thinking of getting it has a present for them. Thanks

Yes, that is easily done. Access key discounts the booking regardless of Sailor name. Similar question asked in the 3rd hyperlink above, Rob responded 28 May 12:11 that Virgin would have no issue with it.

HSV 33 posts

Thanks for the response

Roberto 281 posts

We booked the Irresistible Med for the 10th July.
    Got a terrace on the 13th floor A side, apparently the 14th floor is noisy from the gym above.

Booked flights in and out on veuling for £270 arriving the afternoon before and staying at Hotel in Barcelona on Hotels.com reward.

If there is anyone else on this cruise please feel free to reply to arrange a meet up on board.

Downloaded the app, booked the evening resturants and filled in all the guff except for the last minute stuff the day before boarding.

Will book a couple of bar tabs @$300 each.

Did get offered upgrades about 2 hours after booking which I declined.

Looked at the port excursions and may do a couple but that’s it.

stevenhp1987 331 posts

We booked the Irresistible Med for the 10th July.
    Got a terrace on the 13th floor A side, apparently the 14th floor is noisy from the gym above.

Booked flights in and out on veuling for £270 arriving the afternoon before and staying at Hotel in Barcelona on Hotels.com reward.

If there is anyone else on this cruise please feel free to reply to arrange a meet up on board.

Downloaded the app, booked the evening resturants and filled in all the guff except for the last minute stuff the day before boarding.

Will book a couple of bar tabs @$300 each.

Did get offered upgrades about 2 hours after booking which I declined.

Looked at the port excursions and may do a couple but that’s it.

We’re on the same cruise, flying to Girona the Friday before with Ryanair (£153 with cabin bags from nearby BOH). We’re also using a hotels.com free night for a hotel near the port (Hotel Best Auto Hogar)!

We’re tempted by the bar tab. We’re waiting to see if an extra bonus offer (eg. $100 extra instead of $50) is launched so will wait to purchase one or two until later.

As you mentioned you can already book restaurants. You can also choose your arrival slot. I’ve booked the first couple nights already. The ability to book restaurants appeared 45 days prior to departure.

We’re 14th floor, aft. At first I was happy to be “top floor” but this thread makes me wonder if I should drop to 13th floor to avoid the noise.

JohnG 40 posts

We’re tempted by the bar tab. We’re waiting to see if an extra bonus offer (eg. $100 extra instead of $50) is launched so will wait to purchase one or two until later.

As you mentioned you can already book restaurants. You can also choose your arrival slot. I’ve booked the first couple nights already. The ability to book restaurants appeared 45 days prior to departure.

I’d definitely wait on the bar tab as the current offer runs for a while so there’s no benefit to not waiting, and if something better comes along it’s easier to take advantage. Clearly if you don’t drink at all then you may struggle to get through $350 in just fresh juice and premium coffee, but for a group of two or more then getting through a couple of coffees, a couple of juices, a beer and a cocktail a day would be around $350 for the trip.

On a different note does anyone have an opinion on whether the Sea Blue Save Loot promo covers access key bookings? The T&C don’t list access keys as excluded, unlike other offers, and I’m relatively confident that you should get the $200 in loot for access bookings but would like some other opinions.

I’m doing the 26th June cruise from Barcelona. Never been remotely inclined to try a cruise before so I’m really hoping I don’t regret falling for the marketing!

stevenhp1987 331 posts

I’d definitely wait on the bar tab as the current offer runs for a while so there’s no benefit to not waiting, and if something better comes along it’s easier to take advantage. Clearly if you don’t drink at all then you may struggle to get through $350 in just fresh juice and premium coffee, but for a group of two or more then getting through a couple of coffees, a couple of juices, a beer and a cocktail a day would be around $350 for the trip.

On a different note does anyone have an opinion on whether the Sea Blue Save Loot promo covers access key bookings? The T&C don’t list access keys as excluded, unlike other offers, and I’m relatively confident that you should get the $200 in loot for access bookings but would like some other opinions.

I’m doing the 26th June cruise from Barcelona. Never been remotely inclined to try a cruise before so I’m really hoping I don’t regret falling for the marketing!

Like you I’ve never been inclined to go on a cruise… But for free it’s hard to say no!

I’m not sure why anyone would spend money on soft drinks given regular juice etc is included.

For me, the bar tab is for the bar!

Looking at the prices, it will be easy to spend several hundred dollars with bottles of wine starting at around $30.

Roberto 281 posts

We’re on the same cruise, flying to Girona the Friday before with Ryanair (£153 with cabin bags from nearby BOH). We’re also using a hotels.com free night for a hotel near the port (Hotel Best Auto Hogar)!

We’re 14th floor, aft. At first I was happy to be “top floor” but this thread makes me wonder if I should drop to 13th floor to avoid the noise.

Be great to meet up , ping me a email if it’s something you would like:- robert at comura dot co dot uk. Same goes if others are on this 10th July cruise.

Remembered some dollars on my Wise card and today invested in a couple of bar tabs to kick things off.

Yes booked dinners for all 7 nights @8:30pm at different resturants – best to make some plans and have to change them rather than do it on the fly and getting burned.

Also have the 1:30pm arrival slot booked as we will be checking out at 1pm and its a short cab down to the Marina.

Gerona to the port is about 100kms away are you getting the train? Its about an hour I guess so you will have plenty of time post breakfast for a leisurely start to proceedings..

All been peachy on the app , seems pretty straight forward thus far.

Bobibo 4 posts

Does anyone know refer a friend works with these bookings?

We’ve booked 17-24 Jul, French Daze & Ibiza Nights ,
    if anyone else wants to book the same dates, we may get $200 credit each. Try with this link: https://virg.in/oSTk
    It looks like website allows to enter access keys for friend referrals as well.

RobL 72 posts

The Valiant Lady offer is back.

stevenhp1987 331 posts

Be great to meet up , ping me a email if it’s something you would like:- robert at comura dot co dot uk. Same goes if others are on this 10th July cruise.

Remembered some dollars on my Wise card and today invested in a couple of bar tabs to kick things off.

Yes booked dinners for all 7 nights @8:30pm at different resturants – best to make some plans and have to change them rather than do it on the fly and getting burned.

Also have the 1:30pm arrival slot booked as we will be checking out at 1pm and its a short cab down to the Marina.

Gerona to the port is about 100kms away are you getting the train? Its about an hour I guess so you will have plenty of time post breakfast for a leisurely start to proceedings..

All been peachy on the app , seems pretty straight forward thus far.

I’ve sent you an email. Would be great to meet a fellow points collector!

We’re also on the 1.30 arrival slot (earliest it offered). We plan to have a late lunch on board and go straight to the pool!

We arrive Friday so have Saturday for any sightseeing we’ve missed in our previous Barcelona stay.

Our return from Girona is on the day we disembark. They ask for flight details during the on boarding process so, presumably, we’ll be off in time to make the journey.

Uber looks good value from/to airport. Might take the train.

I agree with you that the app, thus far, is decent. The android one has lots of bad reviews but it’s been fine so far. Hopefully it will stay that way on board!

hello98 6 posts

Anyone on the Valiant Lady Irresistible Med 4th Sept?

Here is my refer a friend link for $200 credit onboard each https://virg.in/owfR

Can also apply after booking using the booking ref over the phone.

kwho 62 posts

We are on the Irresistible Med from July 24th, if anyone is on it?

Travel Strong 258 posts

Used the message option on their site to also request a move from Deck 14 to Deck 13 on A side. Thanks for the tip! (Request actioned within a few hours)

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.