Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help What are “reasonable costs” in BA’s eyes when luggage is delayed?

• mynameisjonny 46 posts

Hi, I landed in New York a couple days ago and my bags are still “lost”. It seems they’ve made it to Newark but it might be a day or two before they’re eventually couriered over.

My question is what is reasonable for me to claim back. I’ve bought a couple days of regular clothing which seems fine, but on Saturday I’m going to a bar mitzvah and my (reasonably expensive) suit is in my checked luggage. I asked the BA person on the phone for some guidance, but all she said is “don’t be lavish”. Would a $7-800 suit be reasonable here? I’d rather not end up out of pocket.

Colin MacKinnon 283 posts

If no-one was going to pay me back, what would I do?

That’s the key question.

Is there anywhere that would hire a suit?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,080 posts

You need to remember that the maximum reimbursement BA will pay is something like $1,500 based on the international rules under the Montreal convention for delayed and lost luggage.

I can’t remember the exact figure but it’s in a unit called “special drawing rights” and is approx 1200 of those converted to £ or € or £, @Meta know the actual number but it’s on line.

And that’s for everything from some socks and pants to T and formal shirts and shoes and toiletries.

Anything above that would be an insurance claim.

So whilst it’s hard to say what reasonable is it’s definitely not taking the Michael and getting yourself a new wardrobe.

And it’s not always replacing like with like. Is a $700 suit really necessary if you could get a good respectable one for $500 or $300 or hire one.

As Colin says a good guide would be “would I spend this amount of money if I had no chance of getting it back from anyone or would I spend a lesser amount?’

Also make sure your contact details are i; world tracer and don’t look at it every 10 minutes as it’s only updated a couple of times a day.

StanTheMan 217 posts

Jonny. Mazel tov firstly. And secondly, to fly all that way for a Bar Mitzvah I’m sure they will be happy just to see your punim – stick on the hotel robe and own it !

Gavin454 160 posts

I think they are generous as long as it’s under the special drawing rights amount as BA Flyer says (1288 SDR limit = approx. £1415)

Twice I’ve had luggage for a ski trip delayed and both times I’ve spend around £700-800 on a combination of rental kit, and replacement kit that can’t be rented such as helmet, goggles, gloves, clothes. I replaced them on a like for like basis, which is definitely not cheap in a ski resort. Both times were refunded with no questions asked, I provided the receipts.

However, for your suit it might be sensible to rent one if possible.

mynameisjonny 46 posts

Thanks all! Some really handy advice. Fortunately our bags were delivered this morning so crisis averted!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.