Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Other hotel schemes The Wyndham Rewards thread

• AndyUK101 49 posts

Anyone use this scheme?

I spend around 150 nights a year in hotels and typically hit HH diamond via stays, IHG spire via stays and points packages and then hotel.com reward nights for the rest

I’ll probably spend 30-40 nights in a Ramada next year and with the changes to hotel.com rewards i’m considering switching to the Wyndham scheme but very little feedback on it online

TIA

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    RussellH 154 posts

Just seen your posting – only 3½ months later – sorry.

Yes, I am a member and use it very occasionally. Last year was an exception with 4 stays!
    Rate of points awarding seemcompletely random – this time last year I got well over 2000 points for a £24 night at a grotty Days Inn, but my last stay at a Ramada only got me 500. I did complain, but was assured that 500 was correct, even though I was Gold at the time.
    No credit for food + beverages though, and these days nowhere in the UK for an interesting stay either.
    Some potential in Belgium though.

chrism20 89 posts

I also missed this one.

I’m a platinum member but have no idea how if I am honest although I seem to remember that their rollover nights work very strangely.

Overall in the UK the programme is quite meh and most of the decent properties have bailed including the Southport property which was where we normally burned our points. Have stayed at a few German properties though and they were ok.

The water and snack is fairly consistent and at Ramadas I’ve had the odd upgrade. They do the odd promo where you get a free night for a two night stay etc but there is no predictability to the frequency.

Personally I would avoid the Days Inn properties operated by Roadchef. All three I’ve stayed in have been pretty grim. The Welcome Break ones are a bit better but they resemble a Travelodge from circa 1992.

One other thing to be aware of is that Wyndham have a hard expiry on points of four years from the date they were earned.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    RussellH 154 posts

Personally I would avoid the Days Inn properties operated by Roadchef. All three I’ve stayed in have been pretty grim. The Welcome Break ones are a bit better but they resemble a Travelodge from circa 1992.

100% agree with that.

Last time in a Road Chef one was Dec 2013. The “food” in the Road Chef was alomst as bad too.

The following night was in the then Ramada at Glasgow Airport (now Courtyard) where I got a room for £27.50 (£5 more than the Road Chef one).

Just remembered staying in a very decent Ramada in Germany about 16 years ago.

The Ramada we used the most was the one at Dover (now IHG); the best deal I have had from Ramada was 2017 (I think) in Kranjska Gora (SLO) where there are (were?) two large communist era hotels next door to one another with no way to tell which one I had booked. IIRC I got something like €50,– discount on the price for 1500 Wyndham points.

snevillio 4 posts

I’m a Wyndham diamond member via a status match from Caesars Rewards. It’s a scheme where you can find some value in it but you really do have to put up with some poor quality hotels.

I did 3 nights in a row this past week to pick up the current promo of 2 stays = 7500 bonus points and I’d say the following

Gretna Green days Inn – ok aside from filthy shower tray and benefits recognised

Days Inn Stafford – diamond must be so rare the lady on the desk rolled out the red carpet welcoming me haha, was acceptable, probably the best one of the week

Days Inn Hyde Park – tiny room, no Aircon, benefits not recognised (wouldn’t even give out a free water)

Overall I’d say they are an acceptable tactical choice for promos and that’s about it, I’m planning to use these points for weekend properties in LA, Tahoe or Atlantic City where you can save a few hundred dollars a time.

chrism20 89 posts

Pretty poor re Gretna. Out of the four in Scotland it was generally the best one of the lot.

Those showers were only installed about a year before covid as well

AndyUK101 49 posts

I’d forgotten about this thread!

Pretty much agree with the comments, I’ve managed to hit Platinum and amass about 50k points so far this year but other than building up some points for a potential stay in NY at some point in the future can’t really find a use for them

In hindsight, I would have booked the 40 or so nights I’ve done this year through Hotels.com instead

The Ramada at Skelton lake services is pretty good with big rooms, decent aircon and attached to the motorway services so plenty of food options

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.