Important dates for your diary – offers about to close which you shouldn’t miss

Here is the latest edition of our fortnightly weekend feature which summarises offers that are ending soon. It pulls together the different deals mentioned on our Avios Promos, Hotel Promos, Credit Cards and regular article pages.

There isn’t a lot to worry about this week – apart from 4,800 Avios on a Dyson – but you should keep an eye on 30th April.  For me, it is important that I hit my IHG Rewards Club ‘Accelerate’ targets by then.

Deals closing soon:

Wednesday 20th April

Last day to earn 4,800 Avios or 5,000 Virgin Flying Club miles with a new Dyson vacuum or fan from Tesco Direct.  Article.

Saturday 30th April

Hilton ‘Double Your HHonors’ ends.  Article.

Last day to earn bonus Avios flying American from Birmingham to NYC.  Article.

Last day to buy Melia Rewards points at a discount.  Article.

Last day to earn 10,000 Avios opening a Nutmeg investment account.  Article.

Last day to get a £10 Amazon gift card for a £50 Azimo currency transfer.  Article.

IHG Rewards Club ‘Accelerate’ ends.  Article.

Starwood ‘Take Two’ promotion ends.  Article.

Last day to earn triple points for UK weekend stays at Accor hotels.  Article.

Last day to book an Avis rental (pick up by 30th June) for 750 bonus Avios.  Article.

New Qatar Business Class sale - deals from Edinburgh (£1k Dubai), Birmingham, Manchester, London
Virgin credit card sign-up bonus raised to 10,000 (White) and 25,000 (Black) miles

1. I’ve got two stays lined up for mid May in Hilton and Ihg properties any indication if there will be new bonus packages running?

2. Will buying Melia points extend my existing ones? They’re due to expire on 1 May.

• Yes, I bought a small amount to round up my points and all are now expiring at the same time

• Another option: Alternatively, last year my husband transferred all his about to expire Melia points to me and they gained a year’s validity that way (& the transfer was instant) – though check that hasn’t changed with the new rules this year. NB. Unlike with IHG buys (instant) my own Melia points *purchase* (rather than transfer) took 24 hours.

3. Jonathan says:

OT: Amex pizza express offer – spend £50 save £20 from a few weeks ago. Were people able to spend the £50 in store on a gift card to get the £20 back?

I would need a couple of bottles of wine to spend £50 legitimately on the two of us otherwise!

• If the transaction is made in store you should be fine. Amex apply the cash back based on the merchant descriptor, rather than what you actually buy.

• Genghis says:

Yes. Bought £50 gift card in restaurant. Email came through straight away and statement credit a day or so later.

4. ThinkSquare says:

So what’s going on with the Accelerate end date? It was showing as July a couple of weeks ago. Now it;’s back to April.

5. Completed my last IHG accelerate target this morning, cheeky wee mattress run for the weekend will net me just under 30000 points.

The only one I didn’t bother doing this year was renewing my IC Ambassador, didn’t think it was with it for me.

6. Antalya02 says:

Re: Amex Pizza Express offer, yes bought gift card in store and got Amex confirmation a few minutes thereafter. 20 pounds posted to account about a week later.

7. Antalya02 says:

Me too Daz, Southend on Sea IHG upgraded to Executive room overlooking the runway(!) and parking fee waived. Only saw two easy jet flights the whole time. Rained out Friday but Saturday had nice stroll on seafront with fish and chips at the Crooked Billet Leigh on Sea. Cost 71.00 including breakfast, still trying to convince OH that it was worth it for the bonus 30,000 points!

• If I tried that weekend away OH lawyers letter would be on the mat Monday starting divorce proceedings.

• It sounds like a great trip away and decent business – £71 for points worth £120 (using Raffles’ Jan 16 valuation) + cost of other food (but you have to eat anyway). Good work.

• I actually like the hotel at Southend on sea airport! Breakfast overlooking the runway is fun. I am trying to find a reason to fly from that airport.

• I am also looking for an excuse to try it out! The problem is that there are almost no flights around 1-3pm which is my sweet spot, given that I need to get across London and then out to Southend, would want to spend a bit of time seeing the airport but also don’t want to arrive somewhere too late in the evening.

8. Does anyone know if you change your IHG address to a different country it will work for the promo? I had to spend two night abroad but only did 1 and forgot the second one. So it is the only reason why I might lose the promo offer.

Not use how to get around this unless I send my mum to check in instead of me somewhere.

9. Antalya02 says:

It came very close Olivula! I had to remind him of our recent six week trip to Burma, KL, Penang, Hong Kong all achieved in the main by points collection with great advice from Raffles and brilliant contributors to this site (thanks to you all). It involved many frustrating e-rewards surveys and countless tesco trips for 3v cards (rest in peace). Believe me this wasn’t too bad in comparison! Anyway it was either southend or a ruffle the bed sheets jobbie at IHG Chingford for 48 quid!

10. Also 29th April is the last date for 4000 bonus clubcard points with home insurance.

11. Don’t let the £21 blind you. That is easily swallowed by the actual difference in the rates you get. Whenever I have compared transferwise to Azimo, the latter has never been worth it.

12. OT does anyone know if currency exchange at moneycorp is classed as cash advance or purchase on a Preferred Rewards Gold Card?
    need some currency and a spend to hit ,i used to use travelmoneynow :(

• Someone posted once that Moneycorp at Gatwick did go through as a purchase on an Amex but that was just one persons feedback.

• Not sure if it’s arrived yet (or you ordered one!) but I used Amex Gold loaded onto my curve card to purchase around £1k or euros via travelex. Posted as a purchase rather than cash advance!

Love this card!

• Re the curve card, which I am still waiting for, can I put my supplementary card on my wife’s BA Amex down as the card to benefit from or do I have to be the main cardholder. I put my BA card when I applied but have since nearly hit my companion voucher limit.

• I think you’d be fine. You can add new cards (I’ve currently got 5 loaded) – and there doesn’t seem to be any restriction on the name matching that on the curve.

• Amex doesn’t do name matching so it wouldn’t matter anyway – you could say the Amex was in your name and it would still process. Visa / MC do have name verification.