Avios Redemption University – Lesson 17 – How to earn and redeem Avios points on Flybe

The “Avios Redemption University” series is a good starting point for beginners, although I hope everyone will learn something from them.  Click here to see the other articles.

This is your beginners guide on how to earn and redeem Avios points on Flybe.

It is now almost two years since Flybe abandoned its own reward scheme and adopted Avios as its reward currency.  A lot of people still do not seem to know that it exists, especially when it comes to redeeming Avios points on Flybe.

As I haven’t looked at this in detail for a while, I thought it was worth spending some time going over the key aspects of this partnership.  Flybe has its own FAQ as well if you want to know more.

Remember that you can only credit a Flybe ticket to avios.com and not to British Airways Executive Club or Iberia Plus.

How many Avios will I earn when I use Flybe?

When the Flybe partnership was launched, I was sceptical about the amount of Avios points you would earn from Flybe.  At that time, you were guaranteed at least 500 Avios when flying on BA and you would rarely match that from a Flybe sector.

Since the Avios devaluation in April 2015, which reduced the minimum number of Avios earned to just 125 per flight, Flybe has looked a lot more competitive.  On routes where Flybe and BA compete at London City, you are likely to earn more Avios taking Flybe!

The cheaper ‘Just Fly’ and ‘Get More’ ticket types on Flybe earn 2 per £1 / €1 spent.  ‘All In’ flexible tickets earn 4 per £1 / €1.

As well as the base fare, from March 2015 you can also earn Avios on whatever you pay for hold luggage, standard and extra leg room, preassigned seating and Flybe Flex.

However, you will not earn anything on ‘Government charges’, primarily APD.

Flybe and earning Avios

When do I receive my Avios?

Here is an interesting titbit.  Unlike every other airline I can think of, you will only receive your points when you have flown your return journey.  The outbound points will not be posted after the flight.

If you miss one flight on your itinerary, you will forfeit your Avios points for the entire trip.

Can I earn Avios in British Airways Executive Club or Iberia Plus?

No.  You can only credit a Flybe flight to avios.com. The only exception is if you have booked a British Airways codeshare with Flybe under a BA flight number.  You can credit such flights to BAEC.

Since you cannot credit Flybe flights to BAEC, you cannot earn tier points or any status bonus.  Avios earned in avios.com can be moved across to British Airways Executive Club free and instantly via ‘Combine My Avios’.

Because you can only earn points in avios.com, earning Avios on Flybe is restricted to residents of the UK, Isle of Man and Channel Islands because those are the restrictions on who can have an avios.com account.

Was Flybe a valuable addition to Avios from a redemption viewpoint?

If you live in the UK regions, yes.  Flybe flies from over 40 locations in the UK and Ireland from Sumburgh in Shetland to Newquay in Cornwall.  The full route map is here.  They even fly to Barra in the Outer Hebrides where the planes land on the beach!

What is the key thing I might not know?

Availability on avios.com and ba.com does NOT match.  You should check both sites if looking for a specific flight.  Avios.com availability is better.

What else was I never told?

You receive one free 20kg suitcase when booking an Avios redemption on Flybe at avios.com.  A standard cash ticket on Flybe does NOT include any luggage.  This means that the value of a redemption varies depending on whether or not you would take a suitcase.

If you book at ba.com the booking process states: “Hand baggage only fare. No checked baggage allowance.” However, this is an IT error and you will receive a free suitcase – there is an extract from the relevant press release in the comments.

How many Avios will I need for a reward flight on Flybe?

The same rules apply as for other partner airlines.  Flights under 650 miles per leg will cost 4,500 Avios points per leg and flights up to 1,150 miles will cost 7,500 points.

There is no ‘off peak’ pricing available – all dates are priced as peak dates.

Can I redeem Avios points for Flybe flights on ba.com or iberia.com?

Yes, at ba.com – although availability is worse.  No, at iberia.com.

Are Avios redemptions worthwhile?

Reward Flight Saver is not available with Flybe so you are looking at a larger ‘taxes and charges’ figure than you would get from British Airways.  Let’s look at a couple of typical redemptions.

Birmingham to Paris, Friday 11 – Monday 14 November

All three Flybe flights are available in both directions on both ba.com and avios.com which is good.

A ‘Just Fly’ ‘no suitcase’ ticket would be £107, picking obvious weekend away flight times.  The ‘Get More’ price with luggage would be £155.

An Avios redemption is 9,000 Avios plus £52 tax.

Without a suitcase, you are getting 0.61p per Avios which is poor.  With a suitcase (which you only get when booking at avios.com) you are getting 1.14p which is pretty good.

East Midlands to Edinburgh, Friday 25 – Monday 28 November

All three outbound and the one inbound flight were available for redemption on avios.com.  NO flights were available for these dates on ba.com.

A ‘no suitcase’ ticket, assuming you fly Friday evening, would be £77.  With a suitcase, you would pay £123.

An Avios redemption is 9,000 Avios plus £52 tax.

Without a suitcase, you are getting 0.27p per Avios which is truly appalling.  With a suitcase, you are getting 0.79p.  This is just about OK – I have done worse redemptions than this, albeit not many!

What conclusions can we draw from this?

I struggle to see a lot of value in redeeming your Avios on Flybe if you are a ‘hand baggage only’ traveller.  0.22p is obviously a ludicrous valuation to accept whilst 0.61p in my Birmingham example is still very weak.

You DO benefit from the option to cancel and get everything back less £35.  This may make the Avios option more attractive than a cash ticket if you think your plans may change.

With a suitcase, the Avios option does look more attractive and worth considering.  Whilst I only looked at two examples here, the results are in line with all of my other tests of Flybe pricing over the last two years.

If you want to know more about Flybe’s participation in Avios, their Avios page is here and there is a FAQ here.

Bits: BA Holidays / Sandals promo, new EU ruling extends flight delay compensation
Bits: cheap Dragonpass lounge access, 750 Avios with No 1 Lounges, airberlin new short-haul business

1. Olivula says:

Flying into Barra and out of Stornaway later this month. Probably the most interesting redemption I have done. There will be showers in arrivals at Barra but not in the lounge.

2. Sandgrounder says:

There were some very good deals vs cash prices out of H&I airports, especially on connecting flights to England. However, availability does not seem to be what it was a couple of years ago.

3. I thought BA clarified that you do get a 20kg luggage allowance on Flybe redemptions despite the wording?

• New Flybe partnership offers more rewarding travel

3 Mar 2015

Thanks to our new partnership with Flybe, you can now redeem your Avios on Flybe flights, giving you even more routes and destinations to choose from. Flybe serves an extensive range of European destinations from UK regional airports including Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester and Newcastle.

Please note:
      •All redemption bookings made on flights operated by Flybe using ba.com or via a British Airways call centre include one 20kg bag as your baggage allowance. Due to a difference in the systems that are used by British Airways and Flybe this will not be reflected in your booking documentation or displayed in the Manage booking section on ba.com.

• Raffles says:

Thanks, amended. I thought it was the case but couldn’t find it anywhere.

• Quite appalling that BA can’t find a way to make it obvious in the booking – after 16 months! – just leads to confusion.

4. As BA no longer throw in the regional connection for RFS, Flybe redemptions offer good value where there’s a direct flight particularly on Peak dates.

5. Is there anyway of seeing the availability on avios.com before transferring avios across from BA.com? Don’t really want to transfer across if there then isn’t flight availability.

• Yes, you can just search for a flight, no matter how many avios you have in your avios.com account. But you can also transfer instantly between avios/ba/Iberia anyway so I don’t see the problem

6. Stephen says:

Does anyone know if you can change a Flybe AVIOS booking direct with Flybe?

E.g. AVIOS/BA only have 1 redemption flight time on a day I want to travel, but lots of availability for cash fares.

Has anyone tried to change the time of a flight after booking with AVIOS? I believe you can log into your Flybe account to check in, but have they blocked the option to change flight?

If not, how do they calculate the fare difference when you paid in points?

7. I can confirm that despite the paperwork saying hand baggage only, you are indeed given a 20kg hold baggage allowance when booked through BAEC which I used without a problem. I was also able to book the flights as a Reward Saver, paying £82. 48 for 2 adults BIR to BOD return. I did this journey in June. Flybe and Avios were my lifesaver during the Euro’s!!

8. BlueThroughCrimp says:

If you’re on a one way only FlyBe flight, do you actually get Avios if they only post after the return leg?

• Raffles says:

The wording is actually something like ‘complete your entire journey’ so, yes, you’re ok.

• BlueThroughCrimp says:

Thanks. I’ll have to double check to see if the flight I took 2 weeks ago actually posted. I’m not sure they did.

9. Concerto says:

I booked MAN-INV and ended up having to change date, time and route to MAN-ABZ for 35 pounds, no other charge, so I thought that was a pretty good way to use Avios given the flexibility. Are you sure about the baggage charges written about above, because I went into the booking at Flybe.com and there was definitely no baggage allowance. I paid the 20 pounds for a bag, which is a lot IMO.

• If you follow the link above it takes you to a page on avios.com where it confirms the baggage allowance. No similar page for ba.com and the booking page says hand baggage only.

• A phone call to BA confirmed that you do get a 20kg allowance when booked through BA reward search even though the paperwork says otherwise. I checked in a bag without any charge or problem at check in on my Flybe flights.

10. Wally1976 says:

Does anyone know how far out you can book Flybe redemptions. Just been looking at BHX->CDG, wanting to fly end of May. On Flybe site you can currently book up to the end of April but avios.com shows no reward availability around that time – not sure if they’ve been snapped up or aren’t available yet!? Also, do they make a certain number of seats available on each flight?

• Showing availability through Reward flight search on BAEC for end of May. Just tried 25th-27th May as an example.

• Wally1976 says:

Thanks – availability looks quite decent. Can’t seem to search for other airports though, eg CWL or SOU?

• Avios.com doesn’t seem to show very many flights for flybe and seems to prefer to show just BA flights, will try ba.com

• I’ve found no issue with availability on avios.com or BA.com. Usually 9 plus seats on every flight what route/date are you looking at?

11. Hi H4P
    Love your site and read it every day. I’ve recently moved to the UK, travel for leisure as much as I can and have already used all 5 of Londons airports! LCY is an absolute pleasure to fly in and out of – I live in Whitechapel so it’s a very easy 18 minute trip on the DLR from above the terminal to right outside my house. Last night arriving into LCY from AMS I walked in my front door 30 minutes after stepping off the plane and it was such a nice way to end a weekend away. Its everything an airport should be.
    I’m very keen to use LCY as much as I possibly can in future (noting their limited destinations and operational hours), especially flying out Friday night and back Sunday evening. I realise there’s usually a price premium to fly out of LCY for its convenience compared with the other London airports and have been lucky to score fairly cheap LCY flights each time I’ve used it.
    My question to you – is there any way to easily monitor the limited sale fares for the various airlines out of LCY only? The ‘weekend away’ fares seem to get snapped up immediately (which is understandable). Im not loyal to any one carrier (have already flown BA, CityJet and FlyBe in or out of LCY) so its tricky to monitor the websites of all the different carriers to see if and when they have discounted fares.
    Any suggestions? Is there any consolidator type site/newsletter/mailing list?

• LCY is indeed expensive to fly in and out of. Looking yesterday, a TXL-LCY for a Sun in Nov on BA was over EUR110. 4k avios and £17.50 taxes using RFS. So have a look on RFS availability.

• BlueThroughCrimp says:

Have you tried Skyscanner and used LCY as origin and Everywhere as the destination?

12. with the taxes/fees often being lower for flights to the UK – it may well be worth looking at flying ex-UK on a cash fare, and flying back in on points.

for example tickets from NOC to EDI or BHX are 14 gbp (plus 4,500 avios).

13. My experience so far with flybe is very poor. I’ve taken a number of personal and work flights and most did not credit automatically. When you use the online claim form never got a response back. Their website is also poor and is difficult to track flights, points awarded, even to see your balance!

14. I would like to say thanks rob. I’ve booked from my local airport DSA to JER myself, Mrs and our son two and a half next week. Booked on avios cost 27k avios and £100 for us all including a bag at 20kg. It’s a good deal I think especially considering the high summer prices for a cash fare. As its v convenient for us 15 mins travelling at either end its a no brainer

15. OT. I wanted to upgrade my gold to platinum as I have previously done to take advantage of bonus offer.

It used to be 15k MR points for upgrading. Do they still have that offer? I called AMEX who said I could only do it if targeted (ie received email).

16. Concerto says:

Then, if the baggage is included, I now have to somehow convince Flybe to give me a refund since I went and paid for it!

1. […] { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-14'); }); Raffles just did an excellent guide here: http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/08…ints-on-flybe/ In short yes to checked bag, though messages may be mixed. No to seats/priority […]