Bits: Amex Gold / Plat £15 Amazon discount extended, new £50 Hilton / Amex discount

Two bits of American Express-related news today:

£15 Amazon discount code extended

Amazon has extended its £15 discount code for Amex Gold and Platinum cardholders until 31st October.

This came as a big surprise given that the offer was meant to be limited to 33,333 people and must be close to that target.  I think HFP readers have done at least 10% of that quantity between them ….

You can save £15 on your next Amazon order of £25 or more as long as you part-pay with Membership Rewards points.  This is what to do:

If you have not already done so, link your Membership Rewards account with your Amazon account by visiting this page on the Amazon website

Buy £25 of items on amazon.co.uk (these must all be sold by Amazon and not third party merchants, and excludes digital content, including digital gift cards)

Enter code AMEX16SWP at check out

You MUST select your Membership Rewards-earning Amex card as your payment card (you cannot use gift cards or any other payment source)

Part-pay for your order using Membership Rewards points.  The sneaky option is to redeem just 2 points for a 1p discount.  This saves you ‘wasting’ MR points on a low value redemption.  You will only get 0.45p per point and you shouldn’t waste more than 2 of your valuable points on such a poor deal!

The Amazon link above (and here) pays HFP a small commission if you use it – consider your 2017 HFP sub paid for 2017!

Amazon

£50 cashback on £250 of Hilton spend

A new Hilton cashback offer has appeared on a lot of American Express accounts.  To see if you are targetted, visit the Amex website and take a look under the ‘Offers’ tab on the online statement page for each of your cards.

You will receive £50 cashback when you spend £250 or more at selected UK and European Hilton, Doubletree, Waldorf-Astoria, Curio and Conrad hotels before 8th May.

Not all hotels are participating.  Make sure that you check the list of hotels on the Amex website before booking.

In the past, these offers have been triggered by cumulative spend.  There is no mention of this – so you are not guaranteed to receive it if the £250 is not hit in one transaction – but you might be lucky.

Note that the Amex website also talks about ‘checkout spend’.  Does this mean that prepaid bookings will not count?  Perhaps, perhaps not.

This deal could work out nicely when combined with the current ‘2000 bonus points per night’ Hilton promotion.

HFP ‘Credit Cards’ page updated for February – what are the best deals this month?
My review of The Westin Palace hotel, Madrid

Comments

1. Amazon code isn’t working – has it expired already?

• Had same issue. Actually items need to be sold and fulfilled by amazon. Then the code worked. Most items have a more expensive version sold and fulfilled by amazon.

2. rams1981 says:

OT AMEX churners – is there a card you keep throughout the process or are your churning cycles well organised so you always have a card hitting a spend target for bonus points?

I’m wondering if it’s worth it. My plan at the moment is to hit targets, cancel cards and then in the 6 month waiting period using my Virgin AMEX which you pay the year’s fee for and can’t have it refunded. If you have gaps whilst you churn which cards do you use?

• I churn all my Amex. Cancel then reapply after the 6 months

I do have a long standing Santander Credit Card – I use it once a month on £5 spend only. The reason I have to stop all my reapplications on the Amex’s from affecting my credit rating.

I also have the Virgin Black Amex. If I could get a pro-rata refund now I would as the points are impossible to get anything decent! I just used that now for non-Amex spend. Personally the £140 application fee isn’t worth it for me. I’m sure others get good value from it.

• Usually have a card, have previously used periods without an Amex to work towards my £10k for free night from IHG Premium Card. Just received Virgin Black card so will probably hold on to that going forward. Will see if I can get enough value considering the sunk £140.

• rams1981 says:

thanks guys. I also have an IHG premium card which I try to spend 10k on. Luckily last year after @liz said she had the fee waived, I managed to do the same. If they do that again I will definitely keep that and spend 10k on it.

Also have Hilton card which I have minor spend on just to keep it going.

Will cancel the virgin when the year is up. Will also cancel the HSBC premier elite card when year is up if they don’t offer bonuses in year 2.

It’s actually mad how much spend I’ve had this year, but then I moved home so unlikely to be repeated soon. So reality is churning and referrals are my best way to boost points balances. That being said the thought of having AMEX platinum for the insurance is always there and one of the reasons I’m wondering if it’s worth keeping it for that alone.

• Yes I am hoping to get fee waived again this year as I have spent a lot on my IHG in the past 11 mths. We plan on churning the Plat cards again just before our big trips in Apr/May and again in Aug in the hope we get upgraded car hire like last year and having the car hire insurance.

• @rams1981 @Liz Is this the Barclaycard version? I only have the Creation one and have spent a fortune on it since Aug but a free year next year would be great…

• rams1981 says:

Barclaycard version. They charged me, i called and said I may need to cancel the card, was there anything they could do and they agreed to waive the fee.

• Yes Barclaycard for me too.

3. Nicholas Shaw says:

4. Nicholas Shaw says:

Amazon deal just worked for me, combined it with Prime offer of £10 off £50 spend on kids clothes; so £25 off it total.

• Anything specific you had to do? Tried applying the code on a couple of purchases this morning and get “The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase”. In all cases the items were sold by Amazon and were not digital.

• the real harry1 says:

you gotta take this the right way 🙂 – no criticism intended – afaics all the people not getting the Amazon deal to work are simply demonstrating user error – you need to follow the instructions & be prepared to repeat if it doesn’t work first time

the message ‘you have already redeemed etc’ is a good sign as it means you have successfully put the code in ready to use – now use it
        Amazon supplied goods only
        no need to register your Amex card beforehand
        you need to opt to pay with your Amex card then also opt to use some Amex points to part pay
        put in the code
        go to checkout & you’ll see the discount applied – if not, go back & repeat some steps

5. AMEX16SWP, It worked for me.

6. Brand new gold card so no offers yet to try.
    Rob quotes ‘excludes digital content, including digital gift cards’.
    Does that mean that a physical gift card would count?

7. Simon Spanswick says:

I’ve failed on three separate attempts (double checking that the item or items are sold and fulfilled by Amazon) today to get the code to work. Perhaps the ceiling of 33,333 has been hit?
    Alternatively, I’m being really stupid as I had this working earlier in the year with the magic tip of using just two Amex MR points.
    All help gratefully received if anyone has a straightforward solution!

• Simon Spanswick says:

Now I understand, having read the Ts&Cs:
      “4. The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is £15 per eligible Amazon account.” Having already used the offer, it won’t allow a repeat discount! Fair enough.

8. Hilton offer details in case your card is missing it: offerId=EE17DCAB478A43500905EBFF8DE94F61 offerSourceId=B4C0C0C62FDA1D6E3D99D55E701A5CB3
    offerFullfillType=COUPONLESS

9. Got this email from BA at 6pm today, does not look targeted.

5,000 Avios for the first 100 to book with Avis

Hitting the road just got even more rewarding – you can now collect 800 bonus Avios with Avis rentals of three days or more. That’s on top of the usual 700 Avios you’d receive as a British Airways Executive Club member. Just book and rent between 7 February and 7 April 2017*. And don’t forget, you also get a free additional driver on every rental.

But wait, it gets better. The first 100 to book get an extra 5,000 Avios**. So with all those Avios to collect, your next trip could soon lead to another.

*Terms and conditions apply. To qualify for 800 bonus Avios, rentals must be booked and rented between 7 February and 7 April 2017 on ba.com, avisba.com or with the British Airways contact centre. Minimum 3 day rental length, minimum car group C. Rentals booked using Avios or Avios and Money do not qualify for the bonus. For full terms and conditions visit avisba.com

**The 5,000 bonus Avios prize is available to the first 100 people who book their Avis rental within the promotional period and pay in full. Eligible entrants must be residents of the United Kingdom (UK), aged 23 years or over and who hold a valid UK driving licence. More information on terms and conditions and prize availability can be found at http://www.avisba.com/promotion

10. OT: Called AF this afternoon, got a super friendly and competent agent within two minutes who split and changed our ticket, advised on and selected seats, and arranged a refund all in under 10 minutes. Within two hours the split ticket was issued along with a receipt for the refund. On the 4th of January I called BA to upgrade two WTP tickets to CW, I waited over 20min for an agent who was friendly and competent enough but over a month on I am still waiting for them to issue the tickets and bill me, and as a result we will likely miss out on our favoured seats. Just a sign of the times and how far BA are falling behind.

11. Firstly a quick thanks for the great blog Rob! I spend c.£10k a month on amazon through business activities and since reading this have tried to put a number of sales through your link. Whilst this is useful to hit spending thresholds on cards etc, I was wondering if there’s anything exciting you would recommend to monetise?