Get 3000 Flying Club miles with Virgin Money International Money Transfer

When we wrote about the new Virgin Money partnership with Virgin Atlantic yesterday, we mentioned that Virgin used to offer miles on money transfers but the deal had now ended.

It turns out that it was quietly brought back on 1st July.  Virgin Money International Money Transfer has returned as a Flying Club partner.  If you try this service now you can get 3000 Virgin Atlantic miles when making your first transaction.

Virgin Money

Virgin Money promises a best price guarantee on all international money transfers, although as this guarantee excludes internet specialists such as Azimo and TransferWise you should treat it with a pinch of salt.

In order to get ‘the best price on the high street’, you need to register an account with Virgin Money and provide the quote you received from any high street bank in writing within three hours of receiving it.  Virgin Money will then give you a matching quote.

You need to be a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club member and make your first transaction by 31st October to qualify for the 3000 miles.

The minimum transaction value is £1000 and the miles will be credited to your account within 60 days.

This is not necessarily a ‘no brainer’ deal.  The miles are worth around £30 at best and you need to transfer £1000.  If the Virgin rates are close to Azimo then you may come out on top but you should definitely do the maths first – the banks are not known for their great rates.

Full terms and conditions can be found here.

The Virgin Money page is here.

Last chance to earn Avios with Business Traveller - and get free GHA Platinum status
New credit card and City Centre lounge access? Virgin Money makes a Virgin Atlantic deal

Comments

1. totaltool says:

O/T but Virgin relsted. i am aware of the six month churn on AMEX Gold etc. but what about VA? I have the black card and will keep that as 140 pounds fee is a sunk cost but is it worth churning the white card for another sign up bonus and if so how long should I wait?

• On keeping the black card – my 1 year anniversary is in 6 weeks so I called to cancel and avoid the £140 fee, and was immediately offered 5000 FC miles for a further £1k spend over 3 months – the agent barely missed a beat so I assume this is a standard offer (I guess the expectation being that enough customers will accept, chase the bonus, get caught out and miss the autorenew to make it worth offering)

Works for me as car insurance is due plus a couple of annual subscriptions – may be worth a call if you’re getting close to anniversary and can make the spend easily.

• Peter K says:

I cancelled about two weeks ago, just before my anniversary and the only thing I was offered was 0% for 12 months on balance transfers or money to my account with a 5% fee to do so! I politely declined.

2. Wally1976 says:

I’ve had a second bonus on the white card about 18 months after closing the initial one. I think others on here have done this much quicker.

• They now allow churning with no quoted gap. Getting White and Black together is allowed anyway, irrespective of churn rules.

3. OT: Apologies if this has been suggested elsewhere but now we can earn avios on travelex bookings is there anything stopping us making an order of say £2000 worth of currency collecting 2000 avios along the way but including the ‘buy back’ policy for what i think is approx. £4. Once the avios have posted you can then return the currency for exactly what you paid resulting in 2000 avios for £4? According to the terms and conditions, the avios post within 14 days and using the buy back is still fullfilling the order. Thoughts?

4. Interesting development which could open up opportunities in the future

• They’ve been trying to make that work for years, good on them! Hopefully AF/KL can free up some LHR slots for VS which will help increase network strength.

The jury is still out on whether they’ll go into SkyTeam but it just got a step closer.

• the real harry1 says:

Air France-KLM will acquire a 31 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic currently held by Virgin Group for £220 million
      Virgin Group will retain a 20 percent stake and Chairmanship
      Delta will retain its 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic

bring it on!

sitting on 100K of dead Virgins

• the real harry1 says:

tbh Raffles might think about covering more airlines – not all, not suggesting that – just the best ones for UK residents

• Lack of AF KLM coverage on here has been a point for some time, one which we have never fully addressed. This may be the catalyst.

• JamesB says:

Good to hear, and totally justified given that they have more connections from more regional airports via twice as many hubs to more destinations than BA.

• I’m sitting on 80k or so of KLM miles so could be handy to redeem them on VS 🙂

• Just had the email from Virgin Flying Club about this – two-parter from SVP Loyalty and Richard Branson.

The bit that particularly caught my eye was “As a valued Flying Club member, I wanted you to be the first to know that once implemented, this enhanced partnership will further enrich Flying Club with earning and redemption opportunities and Flying Club tier benefits on Air France and KLM.” Sounds like a very positive development, glad I managed to snag VS Gold in their status match offer a month or so ago!

5. Johnny Tabasco says:

Wow that’s some big news. Got 250k flying club miles sitting there at them moment…

• JamesB says:

A little sorry I’ve exchanged all mine to Hilton. Will begin again from 2000:8 8000 coming from Virgin ISA, 11000 from White card, will probably apply for black card now, 24000 from PRG, 15000 from tesco this quarter so should not be too bad. Will sit on them until I see what they want for KL business EDI-BKK. I doubt it will make sense though as revenue fares are just £1500 anc yield enough FB miles for European flight. Probably still ebd up converting them to Hilton unless that bites the dust.

code ABBA = £50 off at Virgin.

• Black card could be a bit more attractive now. I signed up for all the Virgin earning options last year and built up 120k points for myself and wife. I wanted to redeem for a Jan 2018 flight to Cancun but it appears Virgin dont release flights for the top destinations at peak times.

The only realistic option to use the points was going to be China Air but maybe Air France kLM redemptions will now be viable.

Anyone got an idea how soon we will know the details?

• Johnny Tabasco says:

Suspect it won’t be just yet, email says deal hopes to be agreed and concluded ‘by the beginning of 2019’

Regarding redemptions, I’ve never had a problem with Virgin even during peak times. The key is to have as many flexible dates as possible, and to keep checking. Or maybe I’ve just got lucky!