It’s back – the only FREE and fast Avios reward finding tool you need!

Those of you with long memories may remember the short lived “Avios Flight Finder” app.  This was an official app from Avios Group which was meant to be a quick way of checking reward seats on British Airways flights.  The problem was that it used cached data, and the results it showed were not accurate.  It was eventually withdrawn.

Smartphones were less common at that point (2014) so Head for Points reader Tim created “BA Redemption Finder”.  This sat at www.baredemptionfinder.com and was a desktop site.  It used the same data feed that Avios was using for its app, so it suffered from the same issues over accuracy.  However, it was lightning fast.

When “Avios Flight Finder” was withdrawn, Tim’s site died as well.

Now it’s back, using the BA app data feed.  “BA Redemption Finder” is, easily, the quickest way of checking Avios availability for British Airways flights.

The best bit is the site is free.  It is a website not an app, but is optimised for both mobile and desktop.

It is simplicity itself.  Type in where you want to fly from, where you want to fly to, how many seats and what cabin and you will see – instantly – full availability for the next 355 days.  On mobile it looks like this:

BA Redemption Finder

Here are some results for two Club World seats from Heathrow to Tokyo – on the actual site, you get the full year on one scrolling screen.  The left column is outbound, the right is return:

BA Redemption Finder 1

and

BA Redemption Finder 2

It gets even better.  You can set up email alerts.   Set a date range, route, class and number of passengers and you will be notified when seats become available!

There are a few issues with the site, but none are major:

It cannot handle connections, only direct point to point searches

It does not show oneworld partner airlines – so it is best used to check availability when you want to use an Amex 2-4-1 voucher.  If you are not using a 2-4-1 voucher you should use ba.com instead as it will show you Qatar, Finnair, Royal Jordanian, American etc as well.

There is still a slight delay on the data feed, but very modest – Tim said no more than an hour

It does not show the extra economy Avios seats made available to BA Gold members

These are mainly trivial points, however, in the context of what is an amazingly fast and usable site.  It will take a while for me to be certain how accurate it is, but on the few checks I’ve done so far it has been fine.

You can take a look at BA Redemption Finder here.

The site is totally free to use.  Tim is happy to accept voluntarily monthly donations, and in return your availability queries will be checked hourly instead of daily – increasing the chances that you can grab any seats which open up.

LAST CALL: Get 15,000 American Airlines miles with the MBNA Visa card
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

Comments

1. Great site! I’ve always been frustrated by how slow the BA search is – and somehow throws errors every other search.

• Tim Rogers says:

Thanks for your appreciation DM – I think one of the best things about the tool is the speed. 95% of searches come back to you in less than half a second, which is much better than the BA site which tends to take 5-10 seconds in my experience.

Do let me know if you have any questions, comments or ideas at all – you can reach me at help@baredemptionfinder.com.

2. Nice tool.

Might it be an idea to shade the dates that are peak?

• Tim Rogers says:

Thanks Colin – glad you like it! I’ll take a look at highlighting peak vs. off-peak dates – that’d be a great idea! Do let me know if you have any others – my email is on the site.

• That’s just what I was going to suggest too, but I had a feeling I wasn’t tho only one with that idea!

Peak/off peak identification would be very useful, especially for those of us who don’t have kids and so are less aware of school holiday dates.

3. Amazing tool, well done Tim. I wonder if you might be better making the email bit all paid-for only (eg £3/mo for daily check, £5/mo for hourly check) rather than giving it away for free!

• Tim Rogers says:

Thanks Alan – fantastic to hear that you like the tool! I did originally think about making the alerts paid-only, but I wanted to provide wider value than that, even if I definitely would have made more money! I’m hoping to get plenty of elite memberships to help support the site and keep it up.

• Sounds good, as long as you’re happy! Just think you’ve created something valuable and don’t want you to undersell what you’ve created! Myflighttracker charges more but I suspect they have the higher cost of Amadeus data stream access.

4. Titus Adduxas says:

I just tried to change a flight from ATL-LHR to MIA-LHR and having spent 40 minutes on the phone was told it wasn’t available despite tshowing as such on the redemption finder.

5. What's the Point says:

Just did a quick check LHR – HKG in First return for next April. Dates shown on the site match exactly what BA have as availability!

Looks a great tool

• Tim Rogers says:

Excellent! I’ve done lots of checks on the data and have generally found it to be really reliable. It seems never to be more than an hour or so behind reality.

6. Slightly OT,

Does the BA CW availability on BA.com differ from that on Avios.com? I’m late to the party with the Lloyds avios rewards cards, but have used BA for quite a while. A colleague with both has commented that this may be the case.

• No, it is the same. There used to be a difference a few years ago but for the last 3 years or so it is the same.

7. Jas Gill says:

O/T

A massive thanks to Rob and all those who contribute regularly to this site; it has helped me immensely to exploit all avenues of earning points.

I am writing this while on a lounger at the Domes of Elounda. The week long stay has been made possible through the knowledge gained from HfP. We received an upgrade to a stunning 2 bed villa, and all associated benefits, as Marriott Gold members. The seven night Marriott travel package must be one of the sweetest redemptions possible.

Once again, many thanks all from a very contented Gill family.

8. What a great support system.

Almost perfect, just needs to add a way to find one way or open jaw trips.

Thank you so far though, keep it up.

• Yes. How to just do one way trips?

• Tim Rogers says:

Thanks so much for your kind words Kevin – great that you like the tool. I’ll be looking at adding better support for one-way and open-jaw trips soon.

• Yes a great piece of work – used it this morning. Almost life changing! 🙂 Many Thanks.

• Easy to “work around” this. Just put in two trips – one a return to /from the airport of your arrival and the second to / from the airport of your return. I did this this morning for a trip to Delhi, returning form Mumbai and have monitors on both.

• Exactly my route for early next year!

I’m a bit late to this thread, but if you’re still reading Tim:
        I’m looking for F to open up for the outbound, but I specifically want BA0257, and I keep seeing availability on the other flight (BA0187?). What are the chances of being able to set alerts for a specific flight if there are more than one per day?

9. Joseph Heenan says:

OT: On my amex gold I seem to be getting an extra 1 MR per pound when I spend at easyjet, described as ‘Preferred Rewards Gold Airline Bonus’. I can’t find this documented anywhere via google searches; anyone know if it applies to all airlines, is it a permanent offer? If I’d been aware of it I’d have put more airline spend onto this card!

• Natalia S says:

it’s for all airlines.

These are T&Cs:
      “one additional point for virtually every full £1 spent and charged per transaction directly with airlines over the phone or online via their official website or affiliated mobile apps (only transactions made directly with the airline will be included for bonus Membership Rewards points, including but not limited to flights, car hire, package holidays and insurance. Bookings made with other travel agents, comparison sites and affiliates will not be included for bonusing)”

• So frustrating the more expensive Plat card doesn’t have any MRs for this 🙁

• Airline spend earns an extra 1 point per £1, it applies to all airlines.

10. OT, I have just applied for a free BA Amex card and am awaiting for the decision. If I were to upgrade to the Premium paid BA Amex card, will I get the extra bonus ie, 25,000 avios instead of 5,000 or is it too late to upgrade and get the bonus for the premium card as I have already started the application process?

• If you ring Amex they will say No, you can’t, because you have probably already been accepted (they just haven’t told you yet) and so you technically have a BA card and so technically need to cancel the free one and wait 6 months. Whether this would work out in practice I don’t know but that is what they tell people when this happens.

• If you have just done it in the last day or it might not have yet got to the processing point. We halted a downgrade for my daughter recently by calling up, and put a delay on it. We needed the BAPP insurance cover for a trip. So l would call them ASAP and see where the application is. Definitely worth a call. Shame to miss out on the higher bonus.

• What benefits of the BAPP travel insurance were you relying on? From memory it’s v limited.

• We had booked the kids flights on BAPP, so wanted to keep,the card until their trip finished. Covers l think missed connections etc..bags. Agree,mitsnnotmgreat but was enough cover for them. Now dropped down to BACC anyway until it’s time for my referral to BAPP.

11. OT
    Received 500 Avios today in BAEC for “special promotion amex eStore”.
    Any ideas where this is from?

12. OT: Do you get free breakfast through Hilton Gold on the Conrad St James in London?

• Yes, Waldorf Astoria doesn’t give free brekky but Conrad does.

• Thanks for taking the time to reply, Rob, To top it off, can you ask for a room upgrade when enjoying a reward night (through Hilton Visa £750 spend)?

• Axel Heyst says:

Yes, once you’ve made the booking and it’s on your hilton reservations account you will probably an upgrade offer that is slightly better that what is available to the general public.

I’ve done it on a reward night booking at Park Lane

• We liked the Park Lane very much even though the exec lounge needs a bit of TLC. We were at the Conrad a few weeks ago and we’ve stayed at better travelodges….

• Brilliant Cate! LOL

• I used 2 x vouchers for Conrad St James (his and hers) back to back with a paid night (and a £50 off £150 Amex offer or something).

I know London, used to live near in Pimlico and asked for an upgrade. Nothing free but we got a suite (could have been a large junior) with separate living room and a bed for junior plus Exec lounge and (importantly) full breakfast on all 3 days for only 2 nights of upgrade at about £60 or so each night ?

As breakfast for one would have run half of that and we made good use of the Exec lounge it was a steal.

I’d pick up the phone and call them to be honest, followed by an email.

13. OT – does anyone know how much 33,000 IHG Rewards points is worth. I’m trying to figure out if its worth me hitting my Accelerate target with a one night stay at a hotel which will cost be around £85.00.

• I’d say that is worth it. Just did a stay for £45 to hit my accelerate bonus.
      Depends how you spend them though.

• 0.4p min so say £132. I’d be looking at £80 mattress run to make it worth your while.

• Is agree that it depends on how you spend them. You’ll get back 0.25-0.4p per point back. So at worst you’ll break even at £85.

• Thanks for replies. If I have the following Accelerator challenges, do they stack?
        I have stay once, get 1000 points, Book Bonus Points package, get 3600 points, spend $39 on food and beverage, get 900 points. I get my overall bonus of 25,000 for completing four of five challenges, of which I already have one with the sign up for the IHG credit card.
        So I was thinking that if i stay one night booked on Bonus Points package rate and eat in the restaurant in the evening to said value, that should count as 3 challenges ticked off from one stay and the larger bonus should be achieved. . Am I correct in the way I’m thinking?

• Yes. But bear in mind the $39 F&B is excl. VAT and at a rubbish internal exchange rate. Perhaps expect to spend close to £40 (allowing for VAT and a 10% difference in exchange rate to current spot).

• I think you should work it out based on what you could redeem for. With 30000 points you could get 3 nights in a 10000 point hotel. If there is a 10K hotel you need to stay at, it doesn’t matter what the paid rates are, you have basically bought 3 nights there for £85.

2 nights at a 15000 point hotel is also good, 1.5 nights at a 20K point hotel is starting to push it for me. If you only want to redeem for 30K+ hotels then you need to work out how much you value your time, and whether those hotels are really worth that much, and whether you think the mattress run itself has any value (e.g. If you would really have paid £25 for themattress run, then the points are actually only costing you £60)

14. OT:
    Has anyone successfully managed to get a payment card from Scottish power to use at the coop? I hate not being able to use amex for any bill.

15. Just to add that if you do sign up to the elite version you can run multiple queries at once, in case you’re keeping your eye on various routes.

• Tim Rogers says:

You can run multiple queries with the free version too actually – but I really appreciate the financial support of taking the elite membership, and in return, you’ll get alerts up to once an hour so you’ll be ahead of the crowd!

• I seem to recall it was your site which helped me snag 2 x First to KUL when BA (re)launched the route.