Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Code for 1,000 Avios for opening a BMI Diamond Club account still works!

I must admit, I was pretty surprised when I read this Flyertalk thread, but it seems that it is correct.  You still receive 1,000 BMI Diamond Club miles – instantly – when you sign up for BMI Diamond Club (link here) and use promotional code 1JA1KD.  I tried it yesterday and it works!  However, I expect BA to close this down pretty quickly.

(If there is already something in the Voucher Code box when you click on the link above, delete it before adding the 1JA1KD code.)

Since July 3rd, you have been able to transfer BMI Diamond Club miles to British Airways Executive Club Avios, using the BAEC ‘Combine My Avios’ function in Manage My Account.  You cannot transfer BMI miles into an avios.com or Iberia Plus account directly, but this is easily worked around by transferring them first to BAEC and then to avios.com or Iberia.

So … if you or anyone in your family does NOT have a BMI Diamond Club account but does have an Avios account, here are 1,000 easy miles.  Sign them up to BMI Diamond Club and then transfer the 1,000 mile bonus out.  You must have a matching date-of-birth in your BA and BMI accounts in order to do the transfer.

Note that you cannot do this for children because kids can only join Diamond Club via a family account, and the sign-up form for that does not allow you to input a promo code.

Comments (32)

• Darren says:

Seems they have closed the loophole already.

• Mightyrailroader says:

Well, it worked at 0955 16 August, 2012. Miles in BAEC within 5 mins. Odd, but good if you can make it work. Smithy

• Raffles says:

You did something wrong, Darren. I just tried it again and it worked fine, that was 10.03am.

• Darren says:

Just tried it again and it worked. 😉 Thanks

• angela rogan says:

this isnt working for me because the field for the code is uneditable, im unable to delete the code already in place

• ups says:

I had the same problem – if you click the Create link on top of the bmi homepage, then click on Sign Up underneath, it comes up with a disabled voucher code field.

If you use the direct link to Diamond Club that Raffles has given in his post, this should come up editable (defaulted with ‘OWE’ which you should delete).

• […] Via Head for Points, you can still sign up as a british midland Diamond Club member even though that program isn’t long for this world since the airline was acquired by British Airways. […]

• pazza2000 says:

I think this has now been closed. Transfer fails at final stage (all acc details matching)

• Raffles says:

If you’ve got the 1000 miles but they won’t transfer, it is probably because you do not have a Date of Birth and email match between your BA and BMI accounts. They won’t close this down by making a complex change to the transfer software, they will do it by cancelling the code (which they haven’t yet!).

• pazza2000 says:

DOB/Email/Name match. I can see the balance, and it is only at the final stage when the move fails, and then going forward you can access your BMI account via ‘combine my avios’ but given access to no balance.

• Raffles says:

Comments at View from the Wing suggest problems today with all BMI to BA transfers, even with existing accounts. When this is sorted you should be able to move the 1k out.

• 1000 Free British Airways Avios for New BMI Members - New Girl in the Air says:

[…] yourself up, sign your partner up, and tell your friends to sign up.  Unfortunately, according to Head for Points, you’ll only get bonus miles for anyone 18+ (children cannot join BMI directly, only as part […]

• Raffles says:

View from the Wing comments suggest that the transfer process is now working ok again.

• Kadence says:

None of the BMI accounts I just created are showing 1000 miles

• Raffles says:

Kadence, you are doing something wrong then, because I just did one 2 minutes before posting this and it still works PERFECTLY. Did you delete the code in the Voucher Code box and add in 1JA1KD?

• Kadence says:

i just tried setting up an account for my daughter using Chrome, no go. I have a screen shot w/ the code in there…still doesn’t work