Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Did you get the Amex Platinum ‘5000 points for a travel booking’ letter?

A lot of American Express Platinum charge card holders, including myself, got a special offer in the mail yesterday.

The card offers 5,000 bonus Membership Rewards points for making ANY booking on the Amex Travel website before 31st January.  This is on top of the current ‘triple points for a travel booking’ offer.

You can, of course, play silly games with an offer like this.  Which is exactly what I intend to do!

Amex Travel

You should be able to find a hotel to book for under £9.  That would be 5,o00 Avios for under £9!

I am not going to point you to any specific item, because it would overwhelm the properties involved.  However, if you pick some typical backpacking cities in Asia and search for a one-night hotel stay, you should find a few options under £9.

Don’t forget that you need to register for this offer before making a booking, using the instructions on the card.

(I do not want to encourage people who did not receive the letter to try this, as Amex insists it is targetted.  However, if you were making an Amex Travel booking anyway, you have nothing to lose.  Log in to your Amex online account and go to www.americanexpress.co.uk/platinumtravelbonus.  The left-hand menu has a box marked ‘Opt In Bonus’.  Enter UIT0112348.)

Comments (48)

• Joanna says:

gold offer was also targetted and was 2500 opt in plus triple miles

• Geoggy says:

Thanks for this not had the letter. Did you ever get the 5000 points for the new Amex foreign currency transfer?

• Raffles says:

They have until 31 March to post them. Someone on Flyertalk posted today that Amex had told him they would appear at the end of January.

• Alex says:

Was just thinking when was the 5k bonus going to hit my account, as I wasn’t sure if I did it right…guess we will soon find out!

• Jens Moller says:

One backpack hostel owner in Thailand with a room rate of £8 is going to be puzzled about the upcoming reservations;-)

He might be a little surprised that plat/gold amex card holder are he new customers…

• Joanna says:

however, just noticed that if you have a no show at one of these cheap places they charge a £7.50 cancellation fee – so not sure that it’s worth it. 2,500 points for £15.50 is not such a great deal ….

• Raffles says:

Yes, you need to check the small print. Although I’ve never seen a no-show penalty on a PAID stay before – are you sure that is not just the fee if you cancel the booking for a refund? You often get a cash no-show penalty on points redemptions.

• Wozza2404 says:

Doesn’t work for me. I get the code in the greyed out box when I log in and go to the Amex travel site, but I just an error message when I try to use it to opt in.

• gagravarr says:

My plat letter for this arrived today – it featured a woman taking a photo of a temple across a lake on the front, and the usual platinum card “Realise the potential” logo in the corner on the back.

I’d actually booked some flights on the amex travel website yesterday, but only registered for the bonus 5000 points this morning when I saw this post. I think from the T&Cs that I should still qualify, as it seems to indicate you need to book by the 31st of Jan, but nothing about needing to register before you book. We’ll have to see!

• Clive Field says: