Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Doing the Shell / Foursquare / Amex £15 off £50 deal? Earn Avios via Shell Drivers Club

Last weekend I posted about a new Foursquare promotion, in association with American Express.

Basically, until mid April, you can save £15 off a £50 spend at a Shell garage when you open a Foursquare account and link your Amex, Lloyds or MBNA card to it.  You can open as many accounts as you have Amex cards (including supplementary cards) so there is the potential to get this saving 5 or more times, depending on the Amex cards your family has.

If you are not a normal Shell customer, you may not know that you can collect Avios via Shell Drivers Club.

Shell Drivers Club

Joining is simple.  Pick up a card at a Shell garage and register it when you get home.

You earn 1 point for every litre of standard Shell petrol you buy, and 2 points per litre of V-Power fuel.  If you select to receive Avios as your rewards, your points will be converted into Avios once a quarter.

The rate is not life changing (20 points = 10 Avios, minimum 20 points needed to convert) but better than nothing.  You also receive 50 bonus Avios just for registering.  The club will also email you occasionally with special offers for bonus points when you hit certain targets for buying petrol.

Combined with the Foursquare discount, this could work out nicely.

Comments (18)

• pauldb says:

Can you use each Amex card just once, or is it once per Shell garage?

• Alan says:

Did this on Sunday – not amazing earning, but better than nothing! Also remember although it wont earn Shell points you can also apparently buy gift vouchers (inc for Amazon) at some of their garages!

One thing to watch though – some dont show properly on your statement as Shell, requiring a claim to 4sq, which is a pain if using multiple cards.

• Simon says:

I must have a bit of an anomaly here; I upgraded to Amex Platinum recently so I have these new cards, but the old cards are working as well.

Do you think it would be possible to sync the new Amex Plat card with a new Foursquare account and get the offer?

• Alan says:

Yes as long as your card is still active and you register each card to a separate 4sq account you should be good to go!

• Martin N says:

It’s also worth noting that Shell Drivers Club have an app (Iphone etc) and you get 50 bonus points (I think) for downloading and the very occasional bonus offer on your phone.

• Mark B says:

Do you have to make the spend at the same time as checking in or can you check in and spend at any shell garage later ?(before the offer expires)

• inflationbusting says:

I would play it safe. When the offer came out I checked in and ‘loaded offer to card’.
      On arrival at the petrol station last night, I checked foursq and I had to sync the card and claim the offer again. Weird.

• Raffles says:

You can check in whenever you want. All of my Harvey Nichols ones before Christmas were done from home, as I don’t have a smartphone!

• will says:

For those with multiple amex cards you can buy argos/amazon + many other vouchers at shell. I’m stocking up on argos vouchers for the new ipad from argos when its out.

• Oliver says:

Thank you for all of your extremely useful help! It;s slightly off topic but RE Amex cards, is there a minimum amount of time you can must hold a card before you cancel?

• DV says:

How can I find out which Amex I registered to Foursquare? I can’t remember which one to pay with.