Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Three quick things for Wednesday (SPG Amex, BA Amex, Tesco / Blinkbox)

Three quick things which don’t justify their own post!

Firstthe 20,000 Starwood points (= 25,000 Avios) bonus on the Starwood American Express card is still showing on the americanexpress.co.uk website. This implies that the offer has been extended to 14th February for everyone, and not just the select few who were emailed about an extension. The offer has gone from the homepage of the Starwood website, though.

BA Amex cropped

SecondI now have an end date for the current, very generous, BA Amex promotions. This is 3rd March. If you don’t have a BA Amex and are thinking about it, I would act before then.

The free card currently offers either 9,000 Avios.  The Premium Plus card offers 25,000 Avios.

Thirdly …. if you signed up for the Tesco / Blinkbox promotion, remember that you must register your Clubcard number on your Blinkbox account by 8th February to receive your 1,000 Clubcard points. These are due to be credited by 22nd February.

Comments (18)

• Ant says:

Good morning Raffles,

I cancelled my BA Amex on 29/8 and I have an email from Amex confirming this. Therefore the 6 months would be up by 1/3.
    Do you think I will get the 25,000 avios if I apply on the 2/3 for a new BAPP card or is it too close to the end of 6 months?

• Raffles says:

I think its too soon, to be honest. The bonus will drop below 25,000 for a bit, but I am sure at some point in the next few months we will see 25k or possibly even 30k again.

• Ant says:

Thanks. So I will wait a bit longer before I get a BA Amex.

I have the Preferred Gold card, can I apply for the Platinum and get the 50,000points?

Thanks

• MBX says:

Could you call them up and ask?

• gnarly says:

Or even more than that. I believe that some strange extra bonuses have been appearing recently.

• pazza2000 says:

Is 20k Sign up Bonus the best we have seen on the SPG?

• Neilypokie says:

Can I have an SPG and BA premium plus? ( ie is this as simple as £35 for 25k avois?

• Raffles says:

Yes, that’s fine – subject to Amex being happy to give you more credit, of course. Reduce the limit on your current card (you can do this online) if it is crazily high.

• Neilypokie says:

Thanks raffles. Credit limit is 20k+, so reducing sounds like a great idea.
    Is this card better than me taking a platinum one for the 50k bonus?
    (I’ve messages you same question on PtS too, so please ignore it there.
    Thanks for advice.

• Quix says:

can you not do both? plat seems like it will stay at 50k for a while though

what credit limits is amex likely to give in relation to one’s household income and existing credit, does it matter if someone in the household already has amexes?

• Raffles says:

Plat 50k ends 3rd March, now on the Amex website

Not sure how much credit Amex likes to give vs household income but if you have more than a £10k limit on any single card then it is perhaps too much. You will have a gut feeling of whether (given the sum total of all credit limits on all cards) you have too much credit for your income.

• Raffles says:

I’ve just sent you a PM via paidtoshop, so read that! Platinum is the better card if you are looking for a large pile of Avios, especially as it seems the 50,000 point deal will be ending on 3rd March.

• Akhil Gupta says:

Quick question:
    I have an SPG amex and so does my partner. We both got our 20k SPG points which are sitting in our accounts. Want to keep them there as we can change them to many different frequent flyer programmes (our main FF account is with BA). At present they have a 20k SPG points to 25k miles promo. Does this have an end date? Trying to think whether to keep them with SPG for the time being or transfer to BAEC?

• Raffles says:

No, the 20k to 25,000 miles deal is permanent.

Infact, if you wait then BA will almost certainly repeat their ‘25% bonus on hotel transfers” at some point, which will get you 31,250 Avios.

• MBX says:

“Automatic enrolment into the Starwood Preferred Guest programme”. How does this work, will I receive some kind of registration confirmation through the post?