3,500 Clubcard points (8,400 Avios) for taking out £15 of Tesco Life Insurance!

It’s back – the most (in)famous of Tesco’s regular bonus Clubcard promotions!

Five years ago, Tesco Life Insurance was a licence to print Avios (or BA Miles, as they were then).  You got 4,500 Clubcard points per policy, you could take out as many policies as you wanted, and you only needed to make one £5 payment before you received the points.  Happy days indeed!

The offer today comes with a longer list of terms and conditions.  It still represents good value, though.

This Tesco webpage is your starting point.

Tesco Life Insurance clubcard offer

And here are the key things you need to know:

(Before we go any further, remember that – even if you fully intend to cancel the policy quickly – you are committing fraud if you make any false statements on the application form.)

• This promotion is only available to the under-50’s – if you are over 50 you need to apply for their separate over-50’s policy here which has a £7 per month minimum premium
  • You must pay three monthly premiums (the lowest is £5) before you qualify for the points.
  • You must be over 18 and a UK resident
  • You may be asked to go for a medical before you policy is accepted if you disclose any existing health conditions.  Even if you disclose no previous health issues, you may be randomly selected to attend a medical.
  • There is quite a bit of paperwork associated with this promotion.

The application form is here and you need to use code LIFE50PTSP1 when applying.

(Do not be confused by the separate Critical Illness policy which also offers 3,500 points.  That carries more risk of a medical examination and has separate terms and conditions, one of which is that Tesco can take back your points if you cancel within 6 months.  Stick to Life Insurance.)

Enter £5 per month as the amount you want to pay, and select a short period of, say, 5 years for the policy.  (You can still cancel at any time.  However, the price is locked in for the period you select.)

All in all, it is a very good deal.  Even at the basic Clubcard to Avios conversion rate, you will receive (3,500 x 2.4 =) 8,400 Avios for your £15 of premiums.  The downside is the paperwork you need to complete, of course.

The closing date for applications under this offer is 21st May.

1200 Avios, 1000 Virgin miles, 1000 Miles & More miles with new BAA WorldPoints sign-up bonus
1,000 Club Carlson points for free by 'liking' them on Facebook

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. The website must be overloaded with applications, due to the promo!

I got all the way to paments, entered my bank details and then after a few minutes got the IFA / staff login page. So I don’t know if my policy has been activated. Tried phoning but there is a recorded message saying that they are unable to take the call at this time.

I tried to retreive my quote using the unique reference code that was emailed, but the website does nor respond.

2. nogoingback says:

Yes. How ‘new’ is a new customer? I did the Life Insurance deal back in 2004/5. Not sure I’ll be eligible…?

• Raffles says:

You are definitely eligible, because it was Legal & General back in 2004/5 and not Aviva.

I reckon that, like a credit card, as long as your previous app is already cancelled a few months ago you would be OK. They can only say no!

3. James67 says:

I applied for this susccesfully last night. A few pointers may answer some of your questions above. I used a 2/3/12 start date on my application and my policy was issued immediately on conclusion of the application. I experienced some slow load on pages and once had a freese. Refreshing the froszen page worked successfully just taking me back one step of the application. My reading is that points will be posted following collection of three monthly premiums; so presumably available on next statement after that. I guess August for most of us. T&Cs are as follows:

Additional Terms and Conditions
    •Clubcard number must be provided during application.
    •One offer per policy. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.
    •The Clubcard must be in your name and the points will be added to a future Clubcard statement after three monthly premiums have been paid.
    •The Clubcard Scheme is administered by Tesco Stores who are responsible for fulfilling points.
    •This offer does not apply to the Tesco Over 50s Plan.

I’m unclear what ‘one offer per policy’ means. Does this preclude us from multiple applications? I guess so!

The points seem to be available only for life assurance and critical illness but not for over 50s plan.

If you are over 50 I believe you still may be able to apply for the life assurance provided the term you request will end before you reach 70 years old.

4. My wife and I share a clubcard account but have different clubcard numbers, anyone know if we can each do this?

• Raffles says:

Yes, should be OK – although to be sure you could open a new account anyway.

5. Do you think you’d be able to take out multiple types of cover, e.g. Decreasing and Level and be eligible for two sets of 3,500 points?

6. Phillip says:

Just to highlight – as much as I’m sure 3 months will be enough to secure the points, it’s worth taking into consideration the Additional Terms and Conditions that state:

Additional Terms and Conditions
    •If you cancel your policy within the first 6 months we reserve the right not to fulfill the Clubcard points.

• Raffles says:

That condition is only under Critical Illness. It doesn’t appear with the Life Insurance policy.

7. MaltapointsTom says:

Thanks for this Raffles, fully signed up.

I suppose the drill is to wait for the Clubcard points to land, then cancel the direct debit.

8. Scott Nelson says:

“You got 4,500 Clubcard points per policy, you could take out as many policies as you wanted, and you only needed to make one £5 payment before you received the points.”

How many policies can we take out on this occasion?

Can I take one out for each member of my family, on the same clubcard number?

• You can still take as many as you want. However, you will only be a ‘new customer’ for the first one, and so only get one bonus.

You could sign-up other family members, but you would need a different Clubcard number I think. You also need to careful of legal issues surrounding signing up people for insurance policies without telling them (if you weren’t planning to!).

• Scott Nelson says:

Great, thanks Raffles. I won’t be greedy on this occasion 😉

• Hi Everyone. I took out a Life insurance?assurance with National Westminster Life Assurance Ltd during 2010 and I still hold it. It was taken over by Aviva. Does anyone know if I could cancel it now and take it out with Tesco and get the clubcard points? I was told by Aviva today that Insurance and Assurance are the same thing. So where do I stand with that?

• Technically you have an Aviva policy, but not a Tesco policy. You are a new customer to Tesco Life Insurance. I would argue that you are OK to take out another one (no need to cancel the earlier one) but there is a risk that Aviva does not share that view when it comes to awarding the points.

9. I’ve taken out a policy today, happy days 🙂

10. Scott says:

Apparently I have got:

“Thank you for answering all our questions. We need to look at the information you have provided in more detail before we can confirm whether we can accept your application.”

Then it’s asking me to enter my doctors name and address. I’ve paused at the moment as I not sure whether it’s actually worth the effort – did anyone else get this screen? I’m guessing it’s come up with this because I have said yes to some of the lifestyle questions.

• If I could use a “Double points” voucher that someone has just given me, I could be tempted to jump through the above hoops…Doubt it would be accepted though?

11. Clearwater says:

Has the terms and conditions for the “Life insurance” changed from yesterday?. I am sure it stated, as has been repeated on here, that you would get the points even if you cancel after 3 months. However, when looking at the additional t & c’s today of the Life Insurance it is the same as the Critical Illness cover, being “If you cancel your policy within the first 6 months, we reserve the right not to fulfil the Clubcard points.” I would have signed up yesterday, but didn’t have my cards to hand and believed there would have been no rush to do so.
    Is it still worth doing now and a good deal even if we have to do it for the 6 months, i.e. £30.

• Yes, it has DEFINITELY changed. The 6 month clause was not there yesterday, although it was in the Critical Illness version.

That said, how can they enforce it? The points are issued after 3 months and you will have had your vouchers before the 6 months are up! If you simply stop your direct debit, it also takes them a couple of months to get around to cancelling your policy, because your first get a bunch of letters saying that you must have made an error at the bank ….

• Simon says:

They did the same with the Blinkbox promotion where they changed the T&C’s after a couple of days of the promotion. It’s suitably vague but as it says

The points will be added to a future Clubcard statement after three monthly premiums have been paid.

It could be they are going to do what they did when I ordered some wine for 500 points and only add the points right at the end of the clubcard collection period so it could be more than 3 months until you see the points hit your clubcard statement.