Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

1,500 free Avios points for switching on auto-convert from Tesco Clubcard. Good deal or bad deal?

I received an interesting email from Avios yesterday with an offer relating to Tesco Clubcard:

“It only take a few moments to automatically convert all your future Tesco Clubcard points to Avios.  It means you could be flying away sooner than you think.

Simply go to www.tesco.com/clubcard

Select ‘My Clubcard Account’, log in, then select ‘My Preferences’

Scroll down and tick the box which says ‘Avios’.  Then confirm to automatically convert your Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Avios.

Do it by 3 May 2013 and you’ll receive a 1,500 Avios bonus.”

Clubcard conversion

The small print contains a small catch:

“Avios UK Members who join Tesco Automatic Opt in by 11.59pm on Friday 03/05/13 and collect a minimum of 150 Tesco Clubcard points (which are automatically transferred to Avios at the end of the period) will be awarded 1,500 bonus Avios. 1,500 bonus Avios will be awarded by 31/05/13.”

Now, in theory this sounds like a simple deal, but there is an obvious question:

Is it targeted?

The rules imply No.

However … only 1 of the 3 Avios accounts in our house received this offer.

And … I cannot find it on the Tesco or avios.com website

There is no guarantee that you will get the bonus if you didn’t get the email.

Here are some other things worth thinking about:

This is NOT a British Airways Executive Club offer.  It is an avios.com offer.  You must set up auto-convert to avios.com and NOT BAEC.

You can turn off auto-convert after the next set of points have auto-converted.  It is not irreversible.

Remember that a Tesco to Avios conversion bonus may come along again soon.  This could be 50%.  If you have more than 1,250 Clubcard points this quarter (which would be 3,000 Avios) then you would be losing out by converting now and taking the 1,500 Avios points bonus if a 50% conversion bonus came along later.

You may be better off taking a dormant Clubcard account, setting that up to auto-convert, and then trying to earn 150 Clubcard points on it before 3rd May.  The easiest way would be buying £50 of gift cards to earn 150 bonus Clubcard points – see my earlier post on this here.

The deadline for setting up auto-convert in May 3rd.  There is a good reason for this – May 4th is the last day for points to be credited to your account to receive vouchers in the May Tesco mailshot.

Comments (40)

• pazza2000 says:

Has it been confirmed yet that you will eligible for this offer if you have NOT received the email?

• ringingup says:

I posted on their Facebook page to ask them if the promo existed without specifying whether I received an email or not. They confirmed the promo existed and they didn’t mention that you should have received the email to be entitled.

• AM says:

a bit confused here – If you select in Preferences:

Avios – how would you then transfer the avios points to your avios.com account?

with the BA Exec Club it asked you to list your membership number.

When you select Avios it doesn’t ask you to put your email address (as the username or something)

• Rob says:

Can auto-convert be cancelled after receiving the 1,500 bonus?

• Jamie says:

Hi,

If I had already signed up for the auto convert does this mean I will still be entitled to the bonus? If not is there any way of turning the auto convert on and then off again?

• Rob says:

No, I doubt it. And I assume you would need to turn it off for a full quarter for it to have any effect.

You shouldn’t have autoconvert on anyway! If you don’t need the miles, you should keep the vouchers in your desk in case a conversion bonus comes along.

• Jamie says:

Hi raffles,
        Normally i would do this but I am in need of a steady flow of avios as I tend to use them for short haul redemptions to visit friends and my girlfriend in Germany. I guess it just depends what your priorities are. I normally fly economy (although i did treat myself to ce from manchester via lhr a couple of times)and then get some kind ft’er to guest me into one of the lovely lounges, has worked well so far! Thanks for all the great advice!

• Penn says:

Do I need to set up an Avios account? Had an AirMiles account offline 11 years ago, but have no details. Have BAEC account, TCC and Tesco Clubcard (thanks to Raffles who I filled out referral form for)

• Rob says:

You do to get this bonus, yes.

Your old account may still exist, you could try ‘forgot your password?’ if you still have the same email address as you did then.

• TD says:

BTW, Avios have publicised this very offer on their Facebook page, so it seems to confirm that the offer isn’t targeted and is open to anyone who hasnt already turned autoconvert on for the previous conversion period.