Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Earn 390 Avios, for free, with Facebook app Avios Suitcase

(EDIT, January 2014 – since this post was written, the scheme has been devalued.  You can now only earn roughly 150 Avios from it.  The points now post within 48 hours, not necessarily overnight.)

Avios.com has launched a Facebook app called Avios Suitcase.  This is currently in beta mode, ahead of a wider roll out.  However, anyone can join – and there are 390 Avios to be collected for free if you do.

First, you need to search for ‘Avios Suitcase’ in the Facebook search bar.  You will then be invited to install an app.  Note the warning:

Avios Suitcase will receive the following info: your public profile, friend list, email address, News Feed, birthday, status updates and likes.

Avios Suitcase

What is Avios Suitcase?

It is probably best if I quote from the site:

Avios suitcase is a new innovation we are trialling where you can collect Avios for your everyday actions in social media. You can play for fun or link your Avios Travel Rewards Programme account to start building a balance you can spend on flights. You could be sharing links, watching videos, checking into places where you collect Avios or even getting friends on board. Check in regularly as we challenge you to complete tasks, collect stickers and watch as your Avios suitcase balance grows.

How does it work?

It’s not fully clear to me yet, to be honest!

However, I do know that, simply by ‘unlocking my suitcase’ (ie clicking a button) I earned 100 Avios points!

I then linked my avios.com account number to Avios Suitcase.  That earned me another 150 Avios!

I then ‘liked’ the Avios Facebook page.  That got me another 20 Avios.

I then had 270 Avios which theoretically would go across at the end of the month.  However, in reality they went across overnight!  I joined on Monday and I got the Avios overnight on Monday.

You can, I believe, get up to 390 Avios by sharing certain things to your wall to earn two other ‘badges’ but I didn’t do that.

It is not yet clear what the big plan is for Avios Suitcase.  However, you might as well join up and give it a go.  Once you’ve banked your Avios, you can easily delete the app from Facebook.

Comments (89)

• LondonAndy says:

Thanks for this. In fact you can post the things on your wall marking them visible “only to me” and therefore your friends don’t get spammed with the messages (although they may want 390 Avios too!).

• Luke says:

Luke’s top tip for sharing the badges to the wall is to go as far as the ‘share’ screen and then from the little globe icon next to ‘share’ button you can make it viewable only by you so you don’t have to be ‘that guy’ who fills everyones timeline with rubbish. But still claim the Avios.

• MattBennion says:

I also played this ‘game’ on the Avios SA Facebook page. Could double up the 390 points if it all goes well.

• Luke says:

How do you link the avios.com acc with the magic suitcase? I’m logging into the ‘see my Avios acc’ but it’s not changing anything. Impatience?

• Luke says:

Oops think I did it too quickly without realising as just did it on the SA page. At ease gents.

• Simon says:

Thanks, I’ve done all 5 badges (sharing the links on my wall only with myself) and got 340 points, there are some options on the My Account tab to invite friends and link your Twitter account maybe that generates the other 50 Avios.

• craig says:

Nope, didn’t get anything for linking my Twitter account. I’m stuck on 290pts.

Says you can earn by inviting friends but doesn’t say how much. Also still yet to get the broadcaster stamp but you can only get that once there are 5 stamps and there are only 4 others so no idea how that works. Still, it’s in beta.

• Sarcastrix says:

Looks a bit like Accor hotels ‘badge’/check-in app

• Ian says:

Nice one…. just got all the badges… Great tip Luke about changing the ‘Sharing on Facebook’ to me only… My friends wouldnt be happy with me if I was spamming their timeline !…. cheers Raffles

• Stephen says:

Once you’ve ‘earned’ the points, do they transfer across to your Avios account automatically? Or do you have to click somewhere to initiate the transfer?