Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Earn 390 Avios, for free, with Facebook app Avios Suitcase

(EDIT, January 2014 – since this post was written, the scheme has been devalued.  You can now only earn roughly 150 Avios from it.  The points now post within 48 hours, not necessarily overnight.)

Avios.com has launched a Facebook app called Avios Suitcase.  This is currently in beta mode, ahead of a wider roll out.  However, anyone can join – and there are 390 Avios to be collected for free if you do.

First, you need to search for ‘Avios Suitcase’ in the Facebook search bar.  You will then be invited to install an app.  Note the warning:

Avios Suitcase will receive the following info: your public profile, friend list, email address, News Feed, birthday, status updates and likes.

Avios Suitcase

What is Avios Suitcase?

It is probably best if I quote from the site:

Avios suitcase is a new innovation we are trialling where you can collect Avios for your everyday actions in social media. You can play for fun or link your Avios Travel Rewards Programme account to start building a balance you can spend on flights. You could be sharing links, watching videos, checking into places where you collect Avios or even getting friends on board. Check in regularly as we challenge you to complete tasks, collect stickers and watch as your Avios suitcase balance grows.

How does it work?

It’s not fully clear to me yet, to be honest!

However, I do know that, simply by ‘unlocking my suitcase’ (ie clicking a button) I earned 100 Avios points!

I then linked my avios.com account number to Avios Suitcase.  That earned me another 150 Avios!

I then ‘liked’ the Avios Facebook page.  That got me another 20 Avios.

I then had 270 Avios which theoretically would go across at the end of the month.  However, in reality they went across overnight!  I joined on Monday and I got the Avios overnight on Monday.

You can, I believe, get up to 390 Avios by sharing certain things to your wall to earn two other ‘badges’ but I didn’t do that.

It is not yet clear what the big plan is for Avios Suitcase.  However, you might as well join up and give it a go.  Once you’ve banked your Avios, you can easily delete the app from Facebook.

Comments (89)

• Ian says:

I am having a problem finding the ‘Like our Facebook Page’ on my wife facebook to collect the Exclusive Member badge Can anybody help ?.. When I did mine, I managed to collect all five badges on my laptop but think people might be having problems on a ipad ?

• Rob says:

You need to search for Avios in the menu bar, go to the Avios UK Facebook page and click ‘Like’. Then go back to Avios Suitcase, via the menu bar, click on the badge (which may still be greyed out) and it will award the badge.

• Ian says:

Ahhhh top tip…. Got all the badges for my wife now… Look forward to seeing the Avios dropping into our x2 accounts Cheers !

• Luke says:

Search Facebook for ‘Avios UK’ and or ‘Avios SA’ and like them. The suitcase will automatically update. After that you can ‘unlike’ them if you wish.

• Frenske says:

I think you just need to like the Avios facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aviosuk

• Rob says:

As a trial, I have just joined the Avios South Africa programme and done the Avios Suitcase SA game, earning 340 Avios. I will post if and when these go into my Avios South Africa account and when I can transfer them to a UK account. I wouldn’t recommend trying this until I’ve tested it as it is a bit of a faff ….

• mitpat474 says:

hmm I just linked my uk avios account to the SA avios programme on FB, not likely to work?

• Rob says:

No idea, it is all experimentation at this time! Perhaps it will. I do know that it wouldn’t let me use the same user name on the SA scheme (‘this username is already in use’) so it may all be one database which means it would work.

• Alan says:

Well I’ve just mistakenly linked my Avios a/c and Twitter, etc. to the Avios SA app as I clicked on it by mistake! 340 earned, going to try the UK one now!

• Brendan says:

I only have 5 stickers available to collect (including the Pioneer) which I have done for a total of 340 avios so Im not sure how to get the extra 50!

• Laurence says:

OK, got all five stickers for the free 340 Avios, which I think is the max available now.

People having trouble with Pioneer – it seems a bit buggy in terms of picking up you sharing the stickers, I had to do it a couple of times before it registered. While it says you need to share five stickers, you only need to share the other four that are available.

• callum says:

I don’t think it’s buggy as such – just wrong. It wouldn’t recognise that I had earnt it after sharing the other 4 yet when I shared one of them twice it worked. I.e. it seems you do need to share 5 stickers but they don’t need to be unique.

• Clive says:

Yep can only get 340 at present.

• Barney says:

The best thing for all these Facebook/e-rewards/etc promos is to keep an extra Facebook/Mail acount that can be spammed.

• Sinizter says:

I have like both the Avios UK and Avios SA pages, but the sticker for liking them is still greyed out – tried clicking on it, etc to no avail.

• Nick says:

Having trouble getting The Broadcaster sticker. Shared all four others twice but still not showing. I’ll try again later.