Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Special ‘statement credit’ offers from Amex inc Argos, Dixons Travel, Harvey Nicks

American Express has launched a series of special offers for cardholders, offering cashback on purchases at selected retailers.

What is different this time is that the discounts ONLY seem to appear on the American Express website when you are logged in. This may (or may not) be an experiment by Amex to see if anyone actually reads the website when checking their statement!

Amex card

This is what I see across all 3 of my cards. You need to click ‘save’ on the offer on the website in order to activate the discount, it is not automatic:

£10 off £50 spend at Harvey Nichols

£10 off £50 spend at D&D Restaurants (ex Conran)

£15 off £100 spend at Blacks

£10 off £30 spend at Collar & Cuffs (who?)

If anyone has a BA Amex (free one) or Amex Gold and sees anything different, please post.

Meanwhile, some new general offers have appeared on the Amex website:

£10 off £50 spend at Argos (exp 16/12, first 1500 people only) (EDIT: 1,500 limit already reached it seems)

£15 off £60 spend at Carphone Warehouse (exp 16/12)

£25 off £80 spend at Ocado (first time customers, exp 16/12)

£10 off £75 spend at Dixons Travel (under the Travel tab, exp 16/12)

10% off at Heals

There are also bonus points available for shopping at other retailers, but nothing too exciting.

Note that you need to activate each offer before it is valid.

One interesting quirk you may want to exploit is to buy gift cards in Argos for other retailers ….

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (49)

• Koshka says:

My memory is a bit vague but I’m fairly sure Next and a couple of other fashion retailers (maybe some others that don’t sell phones). I got the impression that it was definitely a temporary, short-term thing. I used the 4s offer for iTunes cards and as a way of getting memory cards for a price comparable to Amazon. I also went down the credit note route as it gave me a way of spending exactly the right amount to trigger the offer.

• pazza2000 says:

Thanks. Was this recently? I’ll check a few local stores at the weekend. I actually need a new phone, however I find there is a strong mark up at CPW vs Amazon etc. If I can exchange for more useful gift vouchers that would be ideal.

• Koshka says:

It must been around January/February this year. I asked about CPW gift cards and when I explained what I was doing it prompted the sales assistant to say that they might have some non-CPW left out in the stockroom.

• John says:

Amazon (using a UK seller fulfilled by amazon to avoid scammers and 1 month shipping times) is still £20 cheaper than Dixons Travel, even after 2 amex statement credits of £10, and assuming a 100% avios bonus using 2 LHR rewards cards!

(I called up and they said they could split purchases onto 2 cards, which would allow you to get 2x LHR rewards bonuses if your item is the correct price)

• Tt2000 says:

Really? I find Dixons travel are very competitive when you talk to them.

Apple TV and headphones are very competitive there even without having to haggle.

• Mike says:

For all three of my Amex cards: There are currently no new offers available for this Card. 🙁

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Remember that the statement credit might, in turn, knock the equivalent amount of Membership Rewards points off your account.
    You can fix this with a message to customer services, but be aware that the issue may exist.

• Dominic says:

I had a great time in Dixons T5 yesterday. I did, as it happens, want to get an iPad Air, so I got the Heathrow Rewards bonus, and I split the purchase between two Amex cards, getting £20 off in total. But then I discovered there was a promotion which allowed me to get a cover and some other accessories at 20% off – so I quickly registered a third Amex card and took advantage of that with another £10 off, and the further reduced prices. And then they said that for buying the iPad I could purchase Monster noise/cancelling headphones with £70 of the list price of £200, so registered a fourth (!) Amex and did so. They will either make a great Christmas present or hit eBay very soon (and I can see I’ll more than make my money back if I do that).

• Simon says:

Following deal just appeared on my BA Amex, so keep checking back as seems they are adding offers

Pizza Express
    Spend £30 or more and get £10 back

• Roger says:

Thanks, also shows for my Gold card.

First 4,000 links only. Main cardholders only.

• pazza2000 says:

Main Cardholders only? I have not seen that before, hopefully this isn’t the case with the Small Shop promo next weekend.

• Rob says:

I’m having that! Will sign up the wifes card as well and split the bill!

• Roger says:

Pizza Express are serious discounters. It’s not difficult to get 2-4-1 (2nd main course ‘free’) or 2nd main course for £5, Orange Wednesdays, etc. I forgot to mention that such deals don’t appear to be excluded, so long as the minimum charge is £30.