Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

House of Fraser ‘30% off’ giftcard orders being cancelled

I posted a few days ago about a discount deal for 30% off House of Fraser giftcards when you paid with an Amex.  This was offered by a company called SVM, who have run ‘discount deals’ on giftcards for Amex cardholders in the past.

House of Fraser gift card 2

A couple of people contacted me yesterday to say that their orders have been cancelled.  It is not clear if the entire promotion was an error, or if they ran out of stock early and forgot to remove the deal from their website.

In any event, if you did order, keep an eye on your Amex statement for the refund coming through.

Comments (21)

• Michael says:

Just received this email from SVM

Good afternoon,

I regret to inform you that unfortunately we cannot fulfil your recent order for House of Fraser, as we do not have any stock available to fulfil the order. American Express also currently have no plans to make more stock available in the future. Please accept our apologies for this unfortunate stock outage and any inconvenience this has caused. The House of Fraser product was added to the web page in error. Our finance team are currently working through refunds for these orders, and I can confirm the funds will be returned to your card within 5-7 working days

Once again please accept our apologies for our inability to fulfil your order

If you have placed more than one order you may receive this email more than once

• Lorcancoyle says:

Not expecting much of a reply, but have asked them to clarify the basis on which they’re cancelling my order having taken funds over a week ago – terms and conditions don’t seem to provide an explicit clause under which they can cancel orders after having taken funds

• Martin says:

I just received exactly the same email as above. It took them 8 days to realise their ‘error’ and another week or more to refund me no doubt, it’s so annoying as I just bought a sofa from The HoF and would have saved a hundred big ones. I guess I should have smelled a rat like earlier posters mentioned. My mum, as usual, is right about things seemingly being too good to be true being just that. Bah humbug.

Not sure there’s much recourse on this one?

• Rob says:

It wasn’t really about ‘smelling a rat’, because last year they ran an almost-offer with a 20% discount via Amex which Amex promoted heavily. So it certainly wasn’t ‘too good to be true’.

Remember that Tesco was effectively selling gift cards at 20% off for the whole of December if you combined the ‘100 Clubcard points for a £20 giftcard’ and ‘150 Clubcard points for £50 of giftcards’ promos. A £100 spend would have earned 800 Clubcard points, ie 1,920 Avios.

• Bob says:

I got confirmation of my order on the 22nd, have just received the same email as above, it’s a bit or a b….. when you get a confirmation !

• Mark says:

Got the same email. Still no refund, anyone else had theirs come through yet?

• Henry says:

No refund as of yet. Got the email 7 days ago.

• Dips says:

Anyone got their refund yet? Can’t believe I’m still waiting. I’ve just sent Amex an email through their secure server to investigate and refund the money

• Michael Christie says:

Hi

i got my refund of nearly 1k last week….they kicked off process on 31st Jan so it did take a wee while…..email them here as they replied to my email as well eventually…

Customer Care