Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

11,340 Avios (or £45) for getting the FREE 'no FX fees' Post Office credit card

On Tuesday, I wrote about the generous new sign-up bonus of 500 Clubcard points when you join cashback site TopCashSite via a referral.

The core benefit of TopCashback for Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles collectors is that you can convert up to £50 of cashback each year into Tesco Clubcard points!  They even give you a 5% bonus for doing it!  That £50 of cashback will therefore earn you over 12,000 Avios points, which is a far better deal than taking your cashback as money.

By coincidence, there is one very good deal on TopCashBack at the moment which can get you very close to this £50 target in one go.  It is also a deal that will continue to make you money throughout the year.

Post Office

I published this post on credit cards which do not charge foreign exchange fees a couple of weeks ago.  Whenever you use 99% of UK credit or debit cards abroad, an extra 2.99% fee is added.  This is a poor deal, even if you are earning reward points for the transactions.

There are a handful of cards which do NOT have this 2.99% fee.  The Post Office credit card is one of them.  If you take out this card and use it abroad, you will save 2.99% on every transaction you make.  No, you won’t be accruing any miles or points, but you will be saving a lot of real money.

The Post Office credit card is FREE.  More importantly, TopCashBack is currently offering £45 cashback if you take it out.

Transfer this £45 to Tesco Clubcard and you should receive, with the 5% bonus, 4725 Clubcard points.  That will get you 11,340 Avios points or 11,812 Virgin Flying Club miles.

This is our refer-a-friend link to TopCashback.  This post from Tuesday has some more information on them.  Once you have signed up, you can use their link to click through to the Post Office credit card application page.

IMPORTANT:  Note that you must be accepted immediately in order to receive the TopCashback cashback.  If your card application is NOT accepted immediately, then TCB will not be paid.  I would therefore only apply if a) you have lived at the same address for three years and b) have not had any credit issues in the past and c) are on the electoral register.  This maximises your chances of immediate acceptance.

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (73)

• Yizun says:

If I am meeting none of the a,b,c criteria but I am accepted by Amex instantly on credit card application, how is the chance I can get this cash back? Thanks.

• Rob says:

You can cancel the card within 2 weeks during the cooling off period and all record of you ever having applied is struck off, so there is no risk.

• John says:

I’m not sure this is correct, I think you can call them up to remove a credit search but they may not necessarily do it

• Chris James says:

Hi Guys why don’t you use the eligibility checker on moneysupermarket.com to see your chances of being accepted for the Post Office and other cards?

• Rob says:

Because fundamentally its rubbish. Someone emailed me about it yesterday, ironically. It told him he would have no chance to getting a pile of cards which he has already been given!

• Chris James says:

Hi Raffles

On the contrary this shows that the system works as if you already hold cards from particular providers it would show as ineligible for those cards and perhaps if the applicant had as you say a “pile of cards” then the scoring system probably would also deem as ineligible as they are probably over indebted !

• John says:

MSE’s checker uses Noddle whereas most lenders use Experian. Data held can be quite different

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

‘Rubbish’ is a bit unfair. Quality of recommendation varies quite a lot by issuer; for some it’s really quite accurate. I know quite a lot about HD (who power the eligibility checker), so get in touch if you’ve got any questions.

• Rob says:

Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

• Londonbus says:

Just applied and got “Thank you for your application for a Post Office Credit Card, you should hear back from us within 5 working days”

Aaatrgh. Too many bits of plastic.

• Rob says:

That won’t count for the £45 either I guess.

• Dominic says:

Do you have a friend who’s a solicitor? If so then any solicitor can certify a copy of a document. If you have a solicitor you use you might just try popping in and asking if they’ll do it, it’s a 5-min job they might not charge for.

• Nathan says:

Hi,

I just applied for this and satisfied all the criteria above for instant approval. I have never had any credit issues in the past but my application was instantly declined! I hold AMEX cards as well as other credit cards. Will my unsuccessful application affect my credit on any future applications for credit cards?

• The Other Steve says:

All credit applications whether successful or not are recorded on your credit file

• Elt says:

I also applied for PO card, was accepted immediately, cards arrived amazingly quickly.
    But it has not tracked.
    How long should it take?
    what do I do?