Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Another way to use up 3V Virtual Visa cards

Since a block was placed on 3V Virtual Visa cards being used to pay off tax bills or to pay into bank accounts, their uses have shrunk.  Some people are also sitting on a pile of unused cards.

Reader Jon dropped me a line with an interesting tip.  I have not tested this myself, but it appears to work OK.

As I posted in December (in relation to an offer which is now over), TopCashback has started selling gift cards for various retailers.  These include:

• Starbucks
  • Debenhams
  • Chef & Brewer
  • Currys PC World
  • Fayre & Square
  • Ernest Jones
  • Flaming Grill
  • H Samuel
  • John Barras
  • Leslie Davis
  • Marks & Spencer
  • Taylor Walker
  • Toys R Us
  • Wacky Warehouse

The official list is here.

Here is the little trick.  These are all RELOADABLE gift cards.  (Note that only the TopCashback versions are reloadable, you cannot reload a standard M&S gift card for example.)  This page confirms that TCB gift cards can be topped up online.  3V cards DO work for topping up giftcards, according to Jon.

Let’s imagine you have £200 of 3V cards which you are struggling to use.  You can buy a £20 Marks & Spencer gift card via TopGiftCards.  You can then top it up with your 3V cards.  You can them use instore at M&S without any problems, even though these are theoretically only for online transactions.

In theory, if you spend a lot of money at one of these stores on a regular basis – M&S is probably the most likely – then this may even prove to be a long-term way of using 3V cards.  At least for as long as Tesco is giving 150 Clubcard points for every £50 you buy ….

You need to be a TopCashback member to use TopGiftCards – if you are not already a member, my ‘refer a friend’ link is hereYou will receive 500 Clubcard points when you earn £10 cashback, as long as you join before February 10th.

Comments (48)

• Jedi Donkey says:

@ David, thanks for the Power NI. tip. I will get a few 3V to pay the next bill.

• Andrew S says:

Note thst starbucks gift cardsmcanot be used in motorway service or airports… got caught out.

• Johnny5a says:

it’s actually not useable in franchise stores, as I can’t use my Starbucks Reward card in 2 of the 5 starbucks in Reading

• Mark says:

That’s correct. No fee for 3V cards, you just pay face value.

• Brian says:

Did you not read the post??

• What's the Point says:

What I would like is the ability to use 3V cards to buy electronic gift vouchers for the likes of BA or Expedia.
    Did these two ever offer gift cards/vouchers?
    I believe VA offer them, but charge a very high delivery fee for small purchases.

• Hancock says:

You can use 3V prepaid cards to buy Wetherspoon gift vouchers! Valid for food, drink and in their hotels too.

• Adam says:

Yes you can. The post doesn’t clearly say that you can use a 3V to buy the initial card from topgiftcards, it’s suggesting you can top up with them but you can buy too. I used a 3V to buy a £25 marks and spencers card. Now I can top it up further with more 3V’s.

• CliveJ says:

Good tip on Wetherspoons Hancock, although they do take Amex directly as well. I may stock up on some small denominations if I am struggling to meet my current minimum spend target.

Re the M&S reloadable gift card , I’ve just tried to clear £1.20 off a 3V card and it would only let me re-load £1 so I suspect it’s in round amounts. Stuck it into my EON account instead, don’t want to give up 20p 🙂