Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Double Avios when you fly TAM and US Airways in the coming weeks

Both US Airways and Brazilian airline TAM joined British Airways in the oneworld alliance this week.  I wrote a piece on US Airways here and there will be a very interesting piece on TAM on Monday ….!

As is traditionally the case for new alliance members, BA is offering double Avios when you fly with TAM and US Airways.

LATAM

The TAM offer runs from 1st May to 31st May.

The US Airways offer runs from 31st March to 30th June, which is obviously a lot more practical.

‘Double Avios’ will be based on the base Avios points to be earned from the flight, and does not include any cabin bonus.

There is no need to register for the promotion – you will receive your double Avios automatically.

You can find full details of both promotions on the ‘Executive Club’ news and offers page here.

If you collect American Airlines miles or any other oneworld programme, there will probably be a similar offer available – check the programme website for details.

Comments (11)

• tim says:

Thanks Raffles. I have an internal BR flight in May. You may have helped me decide between GOL and TAM.

• tim says:

In the end I booked with GOL because their fares were cheaper and for only 15 USD I has able to select a seat towards the front with the middle seat blocked. Was pleasantly surprised during the booking process to find that I could enter an Iberia Plus FF number so it looks like I will get a handful of Avios after all.

• tim says:

a bit more exploring on Iberia’s site shows that Avios can be used for GOL redemption. This may open up more options for when TAM redemptions on domestic Brazilian flights are not available. I have no idea how good value GOL redemptions are, but I would add that some of both TAM’s and GOL’s cash fares are dirt cheap anyway.

• flieduk says:

Interestingly enough BAEC is showing economy US as double TP (70 Transatlantic) but normal avios. Weird

• liam says:

Is this offer valid when booked directly through US airways, or is booking through the BA site required?

Thanks!

• Akhil Gupta says:

Excellent deal,

Have some US airways long haul flights booked for June which is lucky! Just a quick question, I put my Cathay Pacific Gold number as my frequently flyer number for the booking. Should I be able to choose the preferred seats (i.e. exit row etc), its showing as $61 per seat at the moment. I know once I put my Cathay frequent flyer details on an american airlines flight and managed to choose main cabin extra for $0. Is this something that should show automatically or do I need to call them?

Thanks

• Rob says:

US Airways is still running mainly on its old rules, not AA’s, and I don’t know if US ever gave free seat allocation to elite members.

• Akhil Gupta says:

Thanks for the reply

Just did a bit of reading. US airways shows the benefits of choosing preferred seating for elite members (however it doesn’t say that this is a free benefit!)

• Johnny5a says:

thanks for this – annoyingly all but one of my flights are in April. only one in May.

better than nothing I guess 🙂