Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Seven hours of Norwegian train trip comes to your BA in-flight TV!

British Airways is moving into ‘slow TV’ according to an announcement on Monday.

Impressed by the high viewing figures for the ‘moving map’, the airline has bought the rights to a seven hour TV programme filmed from a Norwegian cross-country train travelling from Bergen to Oslo.  It is a commentary-free seven hours of moving Norwegian countryside which was a surprising success when shown on Norwegian TV.

Norwegian train 2

If the video proves popular, BA may commission further films on knitting, walking in parks or bird feeding – apparently.

To quote:

“It fits perfectly with the wallpaper-style footage people find mesmerising,” BA on-board entertainment manager Richard D’Cruze said after securing the first airline rights to the rail film. “There’s a hypnotic, calming and entertaining quality to Slow TV that is perfect for in-flight entertainment.”

More information at Bloomberg here.

Comments (26)

• Linda says:

The Glasgow to Oban train journey is one they could do. Never done it myself but we followed adjacent to it in our motorhome for a fair distance a few weeks back and it looked stunning. May even go back and do it for real one day.
    Such screenings will appeal to some and not to others so why knock it? I love the travel map and knowing where we are. Something for everyone eh? I have flown BA many times and truly have never had a reason for complaint. Some others seem to have nothing but complaints ….so stop using them, there are plenty of alternative carriers.

• CV says:

Exactly, the Mallaig train journey is often mentioned as one of the most scenic on earth and includes the Glenfinnan viaduct (the Harry Potter viaduct). Also the slow speed of the train makes it a very long journey!

• Andrew S says:

I get this… i would imagine very relaxing with some music via headphones.

Incidentally i have 3 episodes of “Air crash investigation” on my Ipod. Do you think etiquette allows for me to watch this on tomorrow’s flight? 🙂

• Czechoslovakia says:

Probably not.
      Certainly not if you had been sat next to me on LH LCY-FRA on Friday morning. We suffered an engine failure at cruising alt. Totally undramatic, but not pleasing either!

• Andrew S says:

Very unlucky… although there are few crews i would have more confidence in.

Reminds me of a time flying SpiceJet in India. Pilot did not announce his decent, and i had miscalculated the flight time. Cue an anxious few minutes being fobbed off by the stewardess that the pilot knew what he was doing whilst i was flapping we were about to descend into the ground.

^ Not sure i should admit to that one… and not my finest hour.

• Lady London says:

Visual Muzak presumably without the noise. Yum. Seriously, I think they’re onto something there.

• littlefish says:

A thumbs up from me.
      Discovery used to do this sort of thing (not 7 hours worth) with sunrise in Yellowstone and such.
      An easy one for BA to make route specific too. Hmm maybe not all routes 🙂