Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

‘50% off’ Avios redemption sale now on – city list revealed

As I revealed exclusively on Head for Points last week, British Airways and avios.com launched their ‘50% off’ Avios redemptions sale yesterday.

This will only apply to World Traveller flights (long-haul economy).

It will only apply to tickets which start in the UK.

Full taxes and charges will still be payable.

Sale

The booking period runs until 13th July.

You must travel between 1st October and 28th February, excluding the Christmas period of 18th December to 10th January.

Here is the full list of routes:

Reduced from 40,000 to 20,000 Avios:

• Mumbai
  • Phoenix
  • San Diego
  • Vancouver

Reduced from 60,000 to 30,000 Avios:

• Sao Paulo

Whilst these are all economy redemptions, don’t write them off as poor value.  I’m pretty sure that you will be getting a good deal if you head down to South Africa during their Summer (our Winter) and over 1p of value should be available on other routes as well.  Cash tickets are not as cheap as they used to be ….

Comments (36)

• Jeff says:

From London only. Why excluding rest of UK?

• Graeme says:

Jeff – I booked yesterday ex GLA, and not an issue.

• paul says:

Because its London Airways…..and the thinking London centric

That said the add on from the regions should be free.

• John Graham says:

Why? I don’t expect the train company to provide a taxi to the station just because I don’t live close enough to walk. The whole ‘London Airways’ thing just seems like excessive self-entitlement. Airlines have hubs and national carriers tend to have hubs at the largest cities in their home nation.

As much as I’d love to be able to fly from East Midlands for ‘no extra cost’ it’s a) impossible, the cost would just be shared across everyone and b) my decision not to live near a major airport.

• Will says:

But in a 60 million person island you might expect a few flights somewhere other than a concentrated 10-15 million chunk of the population. It’s another example of the ‘prosperity’ of London drawing people in and negatively affecting the rest of the UK. Rightly or wrongly I might add, no judgement just observation.

• Chris says:

Entitlement… those non-Londoners, eh.. always with the hand in the till.

• Scott says:

Seems fine ex-EU as well. Just tried a one way from AMS-LHR-JFK and got 14500 Avios + £171.

• paul says:

Never thought I would see anyone describe flying BA economy as offering “value for money”. To many better airlines out there to waste your time, money or avios on a BA economy seat.

• Oly says:

Yeh just tried. AMS-LHR-JFK return and it is 29000 + £344
    Pretty good deal

• Frenske says:

Funny enough I checked the same route minus the Amsterdam bit and was quoted 20,000 Avios + £361 that’s £17 more tax and possibly £42 more tax when taking into account the costs of the reward flight AMS-LHR.

• Andy says:

Is it? In the last Economy sale BA were selling LHR-JFK cash tickets for £379.

• erico1875 says:

I wish my wife had holidays to take outwith the blackout datss.
    Edi to BOM for 20k Avios is a great deal.

• ankomonkey says:

As usual, the restriction on destinations makes a moderate offer a poor one.

• James says:

Tried looking for Johannesburg in November. 25k avios + £400 taxes. Cash tickets = £373. Sigh.

• James says:

Never mind, I was of course looking at one way prices. Yes, I am officially stupid :/

• Nick says:

Can you use a lloyds upgrade voucher or is it not allowed on sale seats?