Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Special BA Amex offer – 9000 Avios with free card, 25000 Avios with Premium Plus

The ‘official’ sign-up bonus for the British Airways American Express card is currently 3,000 Avios points.  The £150 per year BA Premium Plus Amex is currently offering 18,000 Avios points.

However, British Airways has been emailing selected British Airways Executive Club members with a better offer.

This deal is effectively available to anyone who applies via the link above whether or not you received the email.  It appears to have been very widely circulated given the number of copies forwarded to me.

BA Premium Plus Amex

The sign-up bonus offered in this email is the same one that was generally available from November to May:

9,000 miles when you get the free British Airways Amex card and spend £1000 within 90 days

25,000 miles when you get the £150 British Airways Premium Plus Amex card and spend £3000 within 90 days

The link to apply is here.

There is clearly a risk that you may not receive the higher bonus if you use the link above.  In my view this is unlikely, given how widely this mailing has gone out, and in any event you are not receiving anything more generous than what was available publicly for the first 5 months of this year.

The deadline to apply for these offers is July 25th.

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (39)

• Peter McAllister says:

If I applied is it likely I would get approved for the BA Premium Plus Amex (and 25k miles) if I currently have the Amex (Preferred Rewards) Gold?

• squills says:

Yes, if your income hasn’t gone below the threshold and you haven’t clocked up any bad credit history – they certainly seem to make quick approvals when you have a sister Amex card already.

• Rob says:

Amex is happy to let you have up to 4 cards (2 credit and 2 charge) although of course they will also look at your income and their existing exposure to you. I have a Plat, BA Premium Plus Amex and SPG plus a Dollar card.

• S says:

Same for me, but I have only had the Gold card for 2 and a bit months. Would I be likely declined given I haven’t had my existing card very long?

• sarah says:

i’ve been approved for this card and i’ve only had the gold card for 2 months. also looks like i’ll get the bonus miles.

• PJK says:

“Unfortunately this link cannot be used in conjunction with any refer-a-friend bonus.”

Very unfortunate – I’ve just had a BAEC e-mail inviting me to refer up to 5 people for the BA AmEx cards for bonus miles for everyone – 4k each on the basic card and 9k for me / 19k for them on the Premium Plus (£150) card.

Interestingly, when going to the referral page, there’s no mention of the fee for the BAPP card … just relying on you knowing I suppose.

I’d link to the page but I’ve a feeling it has a link to my e-mail in the address … let’s see whether Raffles gets it too & does a post about it tomorrow …

I can certainly see value in applying for a card in my wife’s name (she currently has a 2nd card on my account) and (finally) opening a BAEC Avios account for her to join the Household account.

We should hopefully be able to get through £3000 to trigger the 28000 miles in about 2 months, then cancel (or downgrade to basic) & get most of the £150 annual fee back.

Or perhaps hang onto it until we get the voucher …