Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

You can still get £15 of free stuff from Starbucks in Heathrow T5C

When we flew out to Dubai last Wednesday we departed from Terminal 5C, the newest satellite terminal.

If you flight leaves from 5C, as I have mentioned before, you can claim one of the odder British Airways frequent flyer benefits.

British Airways status card holders and Club World / First passengers still get £15 each of free goodies from Starbucks.

Unlike the 5B satellite terminal – which has a BA lounge which is generally empty – there is no lounge in T5C.  Most people, of course, will use the lounges in the main terminal and then take the train over to T5C when boarding starts.

However – whether or not you have already used the lounges in the main terminal – passengers who could use the T5C lounge if there was one (First, Club World, Club Europe and BAEC Gold and Silver cardholders – but not other OneWorld elites, it seems) can instead claim £15 of free goodies from the Starbucks in T5C by showing their boarding card.

Starbucks

The bad news is that they don’t sell gift cards! They DO sell mugs and bagged ground coffee which you could take home.  The most tempting item is mini-bottles of champagne for, I think, £14.99.  This is probably only of use if you are travelling in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus whilst having BA status as champagne is freely available in Club World and First.  I didn’t fancy my chances of getting them into Dubai given that your baggage is x-rayed on arrival although I may well have been OK.

If you are booked on an A380, you will know with 100% certainty that you will be flying from T5C and can plan accordingly, leaving space in your hand baggage!

Comments (28)

• Dominic says:

No reason you can’t bring the champagne home if you have checked luggage! It makes a nice aperitif for two!

• squills says:

Reminds me of flying back to UK from Bordeaux after visiting my then French girlfriend – I stuck 4 bottles of red wine in my somewhat rubbish suitcase.

All I got the other end was broken glass and ruined clothes 😉

• Britbronco22 says:

I was there in August and they would only allow one bag of coffee or one box of tea if you use your boarding pass.
    I seem to recall that Champers is excluded, but not sure on that

• Andrew says:

CAA regulations prohibit drinking alcoholic on board an aircraft that isn’t served by the cabin crew. And the mini Moët bottles actually have propper popping corks (the only house to do this – all others have screw caps that look like a propper cork) so you might be heard!

• JoshBosh says:

Might want to inform Royal Brunei about this then. They don’t mind you cracking open your duty free onboard the dry airline, and will give you ice and mixers.

I feel like an alcoholic for just knowing that.

• stealthmoose says:

Where do the CAA say that? You’re talking nonsense.

• Andrew says:

Its FAA regulations.

However even if flying a N-reg there is nothing to stop you having one of the crew open the bottle for you…

• Andrew says:

and rather bizarrely i have no connection with my namesake who posted the original comment!

• JoshBosh says:

Dubai does allow 2L of alcohol to be taken in…. well i assume it does, as Abu Dhabi did when i was working there.

• Tariq says:

But it’s prohibited on the Dubai Metro (doesn’t specify in the rules whether that means carrying it in an obvious way)!

We managed to make sufficient space in our carry on luggage to ‘sneak’ it to our hotel…

• Mark says:

We had 3 bottles of the wine each which were a perfect size for chilling in the mini bar at our hotel….

• danksy says:

Excellent, I’m flying out of T5 on Wednesday morning, might grab a couple of bottles!

😀

• andy21 says:

You’re limited to buying one “retail product” (coffee beans, mugs etc) per person – I went up to the counter loaded with beans and teabags but had to put them back and stock up on chocolate and bottles of water. The assistant did encourage me to spend up to my £15 and even let me go over by 50p or so.

• Strawb says:

I stocked up on 2 peroni beers, a egg mayo sandwich, a chicken tortilla wrap and a fruit and nut bar for £15.38 earlier this month. Wasn’t asked to pay extra. I did contemplate champagne but £14.99 for 200ml is too much for me even if it’s free. I think it’s Piper Heidsieck.

• Wembleygal says:

I picked up a mini-bottle in August …