Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Earning Avios and BA tier points when flying Emirates – proof it works

Back in February, I wrote about one of those ‘things you didn’t know you didn’t know’ – that it is possible to earn British Airways Avios points and tier points when flying with Emirates!

If you live in the UK regions, Emirates is a decent choice for long-haul travel, especially in premium cabins on the A380 routes.

One downside is Emirates Skywards.  It is a pretty feeble loyalty scheme with low earning rates and high redemption rates.  You can redeem for Arsenal VIP football tickets and for easyJet flights but that is about it.

One alternative is crediting Emirates flights to Alaska Airlines as the two are partners.  Alaska is also a British Airways partner so you could redeem the miles for BA flights.  If you didn’t have enough, you could credit a few BA, Air France or KLM flights to Alaska to top up your account.

There is an alternative, though.

Emirates business child

Qantas signed a major tie-up with Emirates two years ago.  A large number of Emirates flights now carry Qantas flight codes.  Qantas is also a member of the oneworld alliance alongside British Airways.

As long as your Emirates flight is booked under a Qantas (QF) flight number and not an Emirates (EK) flight number, you will receive Avios points when you fly.

I got my wife to try this out recently.  She had to fly to Singapore for a conference with the start date being immediately after our recent Dubai holiday.  As the rest of us were already booked on Emirates, it made sense to book her onto a London – Dubai (stopover) – Singapore – Dubai – London routing.

This is what posted on ba.com:

imageedit_5_6059368811

As you can see, full long-haul tier points – 560 tier points for the return trip – and Avios were received.  Whilst it states that all four flights were ‘operated by Qantas’, this is not the case.  Three were on Emirates with only QF1 being on a Qantas aircraft.

To book an Emirates flight under the Qantas flight numbers, you should use the Qantas website to book.  Flights may be cheaper, the same or more expensive than booking via the Emirates site – it varies by service – so be careful.  Expedia and other third party sites may also show Emirates flights with Qantas flight numbers but you need to check this carefully before hitting the ‘buy’ button.

For corporate bookings, you need to carefully explain to your travel booking company what you want to do.  It is not just routes to Australia that have a Qantas codeshare attached as these Singapore flights show.

(Want to earn more Avios?  Click here to visit our home page for the latest articles on earning and spending your points and click here to see our list of current Avios promotions.)

Comments (37)

• Alan Gregg says:

Yup I had a business trip to Melbourne in May. Qantas to Dubai and Dubai to Melbourne with Emirates. TPs and Avios. And a much nice flying experience IMO.

• Susan says:

Very occasionally I really wish I didn’t read HfP – last week was forced to buy Emirates Y to AKL because of corporate policy. All EK code. Dagnabit!

• Phillip says:

Also, if you look here:

QF codeshares on EK are some of the very few exceptions to BAEC rules, whereby a OW codeshare operated by a non-partner will not earn any Avios or Tier points. So you’ve got it in writing for retrospective claims if needed.

*Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios and Tier Points unless operated by Jetstar in a class other than L class.

• Toby says:

Hi. It does work. Last year my wife and I flew to Christchurch new Zealand. Lhr to dubai to sydney to Christchurch return in business. We had A380 on the major legs great product.

. Not only did I get enough tier points to take me to silver we both earned air miles adding to the household account. We happened to have a 10 hour layover in dubai, but the tickets came with dubai connect (free hotel and transfer) which meant a proper bed for a bit of sleep and food before the next leg. Emirates lounge at dubai is pretty good as well. The other thing to remember and makes the difference to me was the free chauffeur services which we used at both ends (restricted mileage before a charge I think is 75 miles from lhr) so hassle free from the moment the front door is locked.

I will be booking this way again in the future.

• VP says:

OT query : If you have booked transatlantic flights with Ba codeshare but on Aa metal do they count for the 4 ba flights for silver? What if it is AA codeshare on ba metal? In both cases flights credited to ba. Thanks a lot.

• Ironbark says:

I, too, am BA Silver courtesy of an Emirates flight to Melbourne (+4 , of course). Doing the same this year with Qatar.

• Dan says:

I also earned Avios on a Fiji Airways codeshare with a Qantas flight number, it was a welcome surprise.

OT but I have also found that changing a partner domestic reward flight last minute at the airport to an earlier departure, also earns you full revenue tier points and avios. This has happened to me on both Qantas and US Airways/AA.

• Andy says:

As a Sydney based BAEC member, I’m interested in this. Do you mean an Avios partner booking or a QF Classic award? Thanks

• harry says:

Sounds like a good trick if you get the chance. I’ve had tier points & Avios on RFS flights, but not these last 2-3 years.

• Alan says:

Might depend on the agent, I’ve not had that happen to me on two recent QF internal flights that I changed in the lounge.

• Sean says: