Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

3,000 Avios with your first Kaligo.com hotel booking

Kaligo.com is a hotel booking site which lets you earn Avios points on every booking, irrespective of the chain.

They have run some excellent promotions in the past and I believe that more are on the way.  If you have not used them before and need a hotel over the next week or so, however, you could do worse than take advantage of their current promotion.

You will receive 3,000 bonus Avios points – on top of the standard Avios earned from your stay – on your first Kaligo.com booking.

There is no minimum spend or stay length.

You must book before 31st December but your stay can be at any point until 6th October 2016.

You need to register with Kaligo.com at this page before booking.

Kaligo 350 2

Kaligo.com has an excellent reputation for posting points promptly and you will receive your Avios a few days after check-out.

Pricing can vary wildly compared to other sites so do double check other places before you book.  Much of the time they match other sites but occasionally it is more expensive.  That said, for a cheap one night stay it is unlikely that any price difference would outweigh the value of the 3,000 Avios.

You will not earn points or stay credit with the hotel itself because this is treated as a third party booking.  You will also not receive a VAT invoice for stays at EU hotels which may be an issue if you are a small business.

If you can work around the issues above, though, this is a good little bonus to top up your Avios account.

(Want to earn more hotel points?  To see our complete list of promotions from the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (26)

• Trent says:

I’ve booked with Kaligo on 5 occasions over this year and have managed to net 46,700 Avios. On virtually every occasion, the price was the same as the hotel web site or so similar as to not warrant any kind of hand wringing. I’ve only booked when it’s been 100% certain I am going somewhere so I’ve had no experience with cancelling or changing a booking. All the rooms were what I expected and I never had any issue whatsoever on check in at the hotel. My points have all posted within a week to my Executive Club account. I highly recommend the site! I have forthcoming bookings in January and will continue to use them for my hotel bookings in future.

On the comments above about Head for Points “advertising” Kaligo – for me, I rely on the site to alert me to promotions that I can take advantage of so I see no issue with that at all – quite the opposite in fact.

• czechoslovakia says:

Cheers Rob, Had a 5000 IHG point break booked near to PRG. Cancelled that and paid £52 for the better Marriott actually opposite the terminal (my preferred overnighter) with 3200 avios. Kaligo price competitive with Marriott direct and the usual Kayak options etc.

• Zild says:

My hotel in Moscow worked out slightly cheaper on Kaligo than on the other sites I checked (and bonus points for Kaligo including taxes from the outset!)

• n says:

How does Kaligo work?

I’m tempted to say it scrapes other booking websites and rather than pocketing a full referral commission, it buys avios/points, passes this on to the customer, and pockets a smaller commission?

I assume this after looking at a hotel (Mercure in Manchester) and finding 23+ listings for types of room for a hotel that actually offers four room types. And the mention of ‘contacting their supplier’ earlier in the comments.

• Rob says:

No, that’s not how it works.

The biggest buyers of hotel rooms in the world are 2-3 companies you have never heard of, eg GTA. Whilst Expedia is a ‘public’ wholesaler (buys rooms in bulk and resells to you) the others are mainly trade wholesalers, supplying tour operators, groups etc. Kaligo (and PointsHound, Rocketmiles and indeed the Avios ‘book hotels with points’ offer) taps into these wholesale room feeds.

Because the wholesalers buy at massive discounts, Kaligo can still make a good margin by marking up the room to something closer to the price the hotel is selling it for directly.

• Al says:

A little generous to suggest that Kaligo matches other website prices much of the time. I really tried to use them during the recent Avios promo, but they were more expensive on every single occasion I looked. On a couple of occasions I swallowed the cost, because I wanted the bonus Avios, but most of the time I simply could not justify the exorbitant rates Kaligo charge. Their mark-up is quite simply uncompetitive, which makes me worry about how long they will be in business- and how safe bookings are.

• Polly says:

Al, there are times they are very uncompetitive, and others when they really surprise me. But as with this promo I will always check them before deciding if I am actually buying avios with them or getting a bonus. As I say, on our next trip to Asia , can’t book with them. Booking straight with the hotel.. I have decoded that it’s just not worth paying for avios, unless it’s like that huge prom where we earned almost 60 k on one trip, but cost was minimal, as their price was brilliant at that time.