Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Good Tesco promo returns – 100 Clubcard points (240 Avios) with £20 gift card purchase

If you’re in your local Tesco this week, make sure you pick up a copy of the December ‘Tesco Food Family Living’ magazine.

Inside, you will find a full page advertisement for gift cards and a coupon which looks a bit like this.  (Not exactly like this, as you are looking at the 2013 version!)

It is on page 103.

Tesco coupon

It gets you 100 bonus Clubcard points (240 Avios) with the purchase of a single gift card of £20 or above.

This will, with 100% certainty, stack with the ongoing offer of 150 bonus Clubcard points when you spend £50 or more on gift cards, excluding Tesco-branded gift cards.

If you pick up two magazine and purchase 2 x £25 gift cards, for example, you would earn:

150 bonus Clubcard points for spending £50

2 x 100 bonus Clubcard points for spending two lots of £20

That would give you a total of 350 Clubcard points (840 Avios or 875 Virgin Flying Club miles).  Assuming that you would otherwise have spent £50 in cash at whichever retailer you go for, these are arguably virtually free miles.

If you don’t want to use the points for airline miles, this page on our sister site Shopper Points shows the best value Tesco Clubcard Boost redemptions.

(EDIT: I amended the example above because I was reminded of what I forgot whilst writing this.  To get multiple ‘150 points for £50 spend’ bonuses for the same transaction, you must be able to break down your order into chunks of £50. Buying 5 x £20 vouchers does not work because you cannot break that down into two chunks of £50. Buying 4 x £25 gift cards, on the other hand, does trigger two lots of ‘150 points for £50’ bonuses.  Clear?!)

This is a very decent offer and I would pick up a few copies of the magazine if you can.  The vouchers are valid until 31st December 2015.

Comments (120)

• BeThatGuy says:

Mixed success today at my local Tesco Extra (Cheam Park Farm).

Had a good old browse of the cards on the rack and decided to go for:

1 x iTunes £25 (20% discount so £20)
    1 x Pizzaexpress £20 (20% discount so £16)
    1 x National Book Token £20 (no discount so £20)
    Total spend – £50
    Expected bonus points – 100 + 100 + 150 = 350

When I got to the till the checkout lady said they had been told they could only sell a maximum of 2 gift cards in any one transaction!! When I pushed her and said there was nothing in the Ts&Cs about that she rolled her eyes and put the 3rd one through – computer said yes…

Sounds like a local “made-up rule” to me – now just have to wait and see what actually gets automatically credited to the account !!

• harry says:

classic ymmv

• avidsaver says:

Whatever points you have earned should be showing at the bottom of your till receipt. These gift card bonus points are always credited immediately and show up in your online account two days later in my experience.

• BeThatGuy says:

Oh well, did slightly better than expected in the end. From my account page:

22/11/2015 TESCO SUTTON-CHEAM EXTRA £56.00 450
      22/11/2015 TB CREDIT CARD SPEND – TESCO STORE 3235 £56.00 28

So 28 base points (1pt per £2 on non-Tesco lines) plus 450 bonus.

Thanks Raffles 🙂

• Ian says:

I went to 2 Tesco Extras and a Metro in Devon yesterday and none of them had the magazine. I asked in one of the Extra stores at customer service but they said they’d never even heard of the mag… 🙁

• Fenny says:

None in any of the 4 Tescos I’ve been to in Sheffield/Southam/Daventry. They all have the massive Christmas gift catalogue.

• Gemma says:

Following the information that you are better to buy 4x£25 cards than 5x£20 cards. If I want to buy £600 and it’s only available in 20s. Should I buy in groups of 60 or 100?

• TimS says:

Groups of £60 as you’ll get 10x 150 points.

Groups of £100 would only get you 6x 150 points.

• Ian says:

I’ve finally got my hands on some of these magazines now. I bought 5 x £20 gift cards today, used 5 vouchers and earned 800 clubcard points..

• Harj says:

Did you get the 150 bonus twice with buying 5x £20 gift cards? Thought it would only work with £25 ones?

The Next ones they sell are only in £20 denominations so this is definitely interesting!

• Robin says:

Just seen this offer by email from Tesco,
    You can get £30 Pizza Express and iTunes Gift Card Multipacks for £25 – saving you £5.
    Wonder if that’s combined with the above?!

• harry says:

The 150 points for £50 spend + bonus 100 points from the mag will definitely stack with that offer if you buy in the right multiple

• Gemma says:

One more question! I’m looking to buy showing from amazon. Tescos don’t do amazon giftcards. Is there a way around this? Ie. Buying Debenhams giftcards, and then buying amazon giftcards in Debenhams?

• Gemma says:

One more question! I’m looking to buy SOMETHING from amazon. Tescos don’t do amazon giftcards. Is there a way around this? Ie. Buying Debenhams giftcards, and then buying amazon giftcards in Debenhams?

• harry says:

Buy the Amazon giftcards in Morrisons for 10p off per £50, to get 10p off a litre in petrol station?

• harry says:

Sorry, 10p off per £100

• Gemma says:

Thanks Harry, but I’ve got loads of 100 point coupons and I’d like to take advantage. The airmiles would mean more to me than the petrol. Although if it comes to it, I’d rather something for my purchase than nothing 🙁