Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Heads up – excellent UK Qatar business class sale launched (Perth £1425, Dubai £880)

Qatar Airways has just launched a new ex-UK sale.  This features some fantastic prices given that you are departing from the UK and not somewhere else in Europe.

The headline fare is Birmingham to Perth for £1,250 return in Business Class.  This would be an astonishing fare – except that I couldn’t find one.  There IS plenty at £1,425 return though.

There is LOADS of availability for Edinburgh to Dubai at £880 return.

The full list of deals is here.  You must book by Monday but can travel up to 31st March 2017.

I will write more tomorrow.

But …..

Qatar A350

Before you book, I should warn you about one BIG potential snag.

Qatar Airways flights earn British Airways Avios and tier points.  A trip to Asia would get you 560 tier points (4 flights x 140 each) which is 90% of a BA Executive Club Silver card.  It is a great opportunity.

Last month, Qatar brought in a new ticket ‘class’ for cheap business class seats, ‘R’.  I would expect these flights to book into ‘R’ class.

British Airways has been slow to update its partner list.  If you click here you will see that ‘R’ class tickets will only earn Avios and tier points if BOOKED after 1st May.

I am not 100% convinced by this – I get a feeling that it will actually apply to anything FLOWN after 1st May.  However, the rule as it is written on ba.com is that you would need to BOOK after 1st May and, of course, that isn’t possible as this sale ends on Monday.

If you book one of these deals, you are taking a risk that you will get nothing in British Airways Executive Club.  The best you could do is credit the flights to Qatar Privilege Club but you would be nowhere near earning equivalent status.

Of course, for these prices, you probably shouldn’t care.

Comments (31)

• Andrew H says:

O/T A stupendous happening today. After months of nothing, I have successfully completed a ShopperThoughts survey. 75 clubcard points.

I was starting to wonder if it was defunct! 😉

• Andrew* says:

Hurrah!

Been a bit quiet on that front recently… My wife didn’t qualify for a couple of 75s but before that had had a 700 point one to do instore… 🙂

• Liz says:

I’m still stuck on a grand total of 375 from 3 surveys!

• Danny says:

If you have the apps, there are currently a few surveys on there ( just completed one on bakery) you can send to yourself by email and complete on a desktop – for some reason they don’t tend to send them out by emails or send out quite late.

• Andrew H says:

I am the only person in the UK who doesn’t use a mobile phone, so that isn’t an option. I could download Bluestacks which simulates a mobile, but it’s a bit of a faff. Thanks though!

• harry says:

Not you’re not 🙂

8YO brick in the glove compartment in case I break down, never sent a text lol (well a couple via Skype but never by mobile)

• Andrew* says:

I can beat that today… I got a reply from eRewards customer service! 😉

• James says:

Well I got my wish.. Business BHX-DOH-HKT on a 787 on both legs, Over Christmas for £1053.

Oddly, Google Flights still has the flights showing for £3045.
    A good saving made there!
    Thanks again Rob!!

• EdC says:

Although most ex-EU offers end in June, a few destinations are also listed from Europe later. Copenhagen to Auckland for about £2300 December-March, and Amsterdam-Cape Town for 2400 EUR until 10 December stand out. Haven’t checked availability.

• Rob says:

Great heads up on Twitter Rob, thanks.

Currently lying on a beach in Phuket (thanks to another of your tips!), nabbed 2 biz class for Singapore from Edi in Feb. £1200, bargain!

• F1Flyer says:

I’m itching to take advantage of the QR sale from Brum to Syd next year but need to be there longer than 30 days. Is there a loophole I’m missing somewhere? Anywhere?

• Tim says:

The four of us (three of whom are business class virgins!) just took advantage of this to go to Oz from Birmingham next year for £1,7k each. Compared to the same business flight on BA for 6,2k pp, we effectively got 4 Qatar tickets for the price of one on BA – which is also an inferior product. I have noticed on a few forums that people rang BA to ask about TP and Avios on partner R class and BA executive club lot told them it applies to flights taken after 1 May (not booked).