Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

BA launches a quadruple Avios deal with Hilton – and why you SHOULDN’T sign up

UPDATE – OCTOBER 2020:  This article is now out of date, but don’t worry.  We produce a monthly summary of the top hotel bonus point offers – please click HERE or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ menu above.

Click here for our article on Hilton’s current ‘Double Rewards’ promotion which runs until 31st December 2020. You can register for the offer by clicking here.

Hilton is also offering a 100% bonus when you buy points until 31st December 2020. The website to buy points, and find out more, is here.

Last week I wrote about the ‘quadruple Avios’ promotion which Iberia has launched in association with Hilton.

British Airways has now launched its own version of the offer as you can see here.

The terms of the deal are identical:

earn double Avios on your first stay

earn triple Avios on your second stay

earn quadruple Avios on your third and subsequent stays

….. until the end of August.

You earn 1 Avios point for every $1 you spend.

However, you should not sign up to this offer.

Hilton Amsterdam Schiphol

Five years after the launch of Avios, Hilton has still not aligned the earnings rate between Iberia and British Airways.

With BA, you earn 1 Avios for every $1 spent

With Iberia, you earn 15 Avios for every $10 spent

You are 50% better off taking Avios in Iberia Plus and then transferring them to BA.

The ONLY exception is this.  There is a cap of 1,000 Avios (pre bonus) per stay with Iberia.  The British Airways cap is 10,000 Avios.  If you will spend more than $1,000, you should credit to BA as you will be better off.

The link to the Iberia offer is here.  Remember to set your Hilton HHonors earning preference to ‘points and miles’ with Iberia Plus as your airline programme of choice.

Earn double points too!

We now know that this promotion doubles up with the current Unlimited Bonus double points offer.

As well as registering for bonus Avios, you should also register for Unlimited Bonus via this link.  I wrote about Unlimited Bonus here.

You will then earn double points for the points bit of ‘points and miles’ as well as double, triple or quadruple miles.  That is not a bad return on your forthcoming Hilton nights.

Comments (45)

• Anon says:

Thanks for this Rob, will be leaving mine set to Iberia, that’s why your extra analysis is valued by your readership.

ps Has CapeFox left the building? That was pretty amusing.at an early hour yesterday…

• Fenn says:

Glad I was up early enough to see that yesterday before presumably removed… Gave me a chuckle over my crunchy nut. Someone clearly wanted all the new route redemptions to themselves 🙂

• aliks says:

Typo – “With Iberia, you earn 1.5 Avios for every $10 spent” not 15

• Anon says:

Is it a typo?

CMIIW, but I thought;
      $10 spent gives;
      100 HHonors pts
      & either
      10 BA Avios OR 15 Iberia Avios

• TimS says:

No typo.

1 BA avios per $ or 15 IB avios per $10 is correct

• egar says:

Thank you Rob, very useful. On the Hilton subject, going in Sept to the US (Business class using the BA AMEX PP voucher). Since my partner and I have hit the spending limit for this year’s voucher too, I was considering just using our Hilton H platinum card for all our spending to redeem Hilton points in hotels stays in September, is that a good move or are AMEX PP avios more valuable? Thank you!

• Genghis says:

Using the Hilton card as your only means of earning HH points will mean lots of spend for very little points gain (valuing Hilton points at 0.3p the card is 0.6% back). Perhaps sign up to another card and use that spend to earn another sign up bonus (where your return is more like 10-15%)

• aliks says:

Or in fact

Typo – “With BA, you earn 10 Avios for every $1 spent”

• aliks says:

OK I read it all again and please ignore my comments – its too early on a Saturday morning for me!!!

• Alan says:

Hehe are you Jeremy Hunt posting under a pseudonym, he seemed to have trouble with arithmetic first thing in the morning 😛

For consistency might have been easier as 1.5 per $, but core message is still lots more Avios going down the IB route 🙂 Double base Hilton points stacking is also as expected based on similar promos previously but certainly most welcome – much easier to get decent chunks on a few stays without tricky targets, unlike IHG Accelerate (even if it does have a higher overall amount available).

• Joe says:

Slighty OT-Can you use the free hilton voucher on avthursdsy night? And is the Waldorf Astoria a worthwhile redemption for it?

• Kipto says:

On the subject of the free night voucher with Hilton visa, my wife and I separately earned the the free night voucher two years ago. In April this year, we both applied again. My wife has hit the £750 spend threshold and five days later the free night certificate appeared in her account. I qualified earlier this week so fingers crossed I get my free night as well. It appears that the ” free night reward certificate will only be awarded for first time applicants” is not being strictly enforced.

• Genghis says:

Did you apply before the Ts and Cs changed?

• Kipto says:

i don’t think so. I have found the accompanying leaflet that came with both cards and it does mention the fact that the free night is only available for first time applicants.

• Alan says:

Good news and kinda what we hoped based on previous Barclaycard IT competence 🙂

• Javier says:

The limit where it makes sense to switch to BA is $1,500, not $1,000

“If you will spend more than $1,000, you should credit to BA as you will be better off”

• Rob says:

No it isn’t! $1001 gets you 1,001 BA Avios but, due to the cap, 1,000 IB Avios.

• Alex W says:

If you have several stays planned I assume you can’t switch between BA and Iberia?
        E.g.
        1st stay $200 = 300 iberia avios
        2nd stay $200 = 600 iberia avios
        3rd stay $1500 = 4000 iberia avios?

If you switched to BA for the 3rd stay would it only count as your 1st stay, therefore only double Avios i.e. 3000 Avios?

• Rob says:

Hmm …. good question!

• Alan says:

Based on previous Hilton promos I’d imagine the bonus campaigns are treated separately so a stay for one didn’t count as a stay for the other but wouldn’t know for certain unless someone had plenty of stays and could try it out I guess!

• Yan says:

so $1,000 cap applies pre or post bonus?

• TimS says:

The 1000 IB avios per stay is definitely pre-bonus as I have earned over 1000 IB avios in a single stay before due to various offer/status bonuses.