Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

BA launches a quadruple Avios deal with Hilton – and why you SHOULDN’T sign up

UPDATE – OCTOBER 2020:  This article is now out of date, but don’t worry.  We produce a monthly summary of the top hotel bonus point offers – please click HERE or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ menu above.

Click here for our article on Hilton’s current ‘Double Rewards’ promotion which runs until 31st December 2020. You can register for the offer by clicking here.

Hilton is also offering a 100% bonus when you buy points until 31st December 2020. The website to buy points, and find out more, is here.

Last week I wrote about the ‘quadruple Avios’ promotion which Iberia has launched in association with Hilton.

British Airways has now launched its own version of the offer as you can see here.

The terms of the deal are identical:

earn double Avios on your first stay

earn triple Avios on your second stay

earn quadruple Avios on your third and subsequent stays

….. until the end of August.

You earn 1 Avios point for every $1 you spend.

However, you should not sign up to this offer.

Hilton Amsterdam Schiphol

Five years after the launch of Avios, Hilton has still not aligned the earnings rate between Iberia and British Airways.

With BA, you earn 1 Avios for every $1 spent

With Iberia, you earn 15 Avios for every $10 spent

You are 50% better off taking Avios in Iberia Plus and then transferring them to BA.

The ONLY exception is this.  There is a cap of 1,000 Avios (pre bonus) per stay with Iberia.  The British Airways cap is 10,000 Avios.  If you will spend more than $1,000, you should credit to BA as you will be better off.

The link to the Iberia offer is here.  Remember to set your Hilton HHonors earning preference to ‘points and miles’ with Iberia Plus as your airline programme of choice.

Earn double points too!

We now know that this promotion doubles up with the current Unlimited Bonus double points offer.

As well as registering for bonus Avios, you should also register for Unlimited Bonus via this link.  I wrote about Unlimited Bonus here.

You will then earn double points for the points bit of ‘points and miles’ as well as double, triple or quadruple miles.  That is not a bad return on your forthcoming Hilton nights.

Comments (45)

• John thrussell says:

How about the IHG accelerate? Just had my sign-up and looks quite good.

• Simon says:

Mine is exactly the same as last time – I checked with them and they said that can happen. It’s not very exciting so I’m not going for it this quarter.

• Stuart says:

If you leave your Hilton option on points and points, does the offer double base points or both points?

Essentially what are you give up for quad Avios?

• Alan says:

You’re only giving up 5 HHonors per USD – the p+p vs p+m amount. You’ll still get the double base points promo.

• Relaxo says:

Can I switch to points and miles if my original settings were points & points upon signing up to honors?

• TimS says:

Yes, you can switch at any time.

• Rob says:

Yes, via your profile

• Alan says:

Absolutely – you’ve got until 23:59 MST on the day of checkout to change your earning option. Beware though that your airline earning preference is dependent on your preferred airline programme at the time of booking so if you want to change it you need to do so at the hotel at check-in/check-out.

• aceman says:

i have my first hilton stay coming up (just 2 nights), wanting to generate hilton points for the future, I’ve just set my earning to hilton only, is that best, or will I just end up with the same points regardless of double dipping?

• Alex W says:

If you are only doing one stay during the period you are giving up 2x 1.5 IB avios per $ for 5 HH per $ if you choose points and points. You would get more value out of the Avios even if you only stay once. Obviously much more value in the avios of you get 3x or 4x.

• Brian says:

Do we know for certain we get the double base points and the bonus avios?

• Alan says:

Yes, confirmed multiple times by multiple commenters (myself included) 🙂

• Chris Cannon says:

Hi Rob,

just double checking the Hilton Iberia cap of 1000 is pre bonus, so in fact you can earn over 1000 in total with bonus?

Thanks

Chris

• Cuchlainn says:

I changed my profile HHonors Double Dip Points and Miles to Iberia as my preferred “Travel Partner”, as per Raffles article above – thanks Rob.

As I do not normally use Hilton I forgot I had 37K HHonors points sitting in my account. After several tedious emails to Hilton CS they have finally confirmed that Iberia is not part of their Exchange Program – any ideas other than converting 30K HHonors to 3K Avios, ?

• Alan says:

Probably better making use of them for a cheap hotel night (they do points and cash) than converting I think.