Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: 2400 Avios with £60 LEGO spend is back!, BA changes rules on ‘Plus’ short-haul fares

News in brief:

2,400 Avios with £60 LEGO spend (or 1,200 Avios with £30 of LEGO)

It’s back – another Lego deal from Tesco Direct!

Until Monday night, you will receive 1,000 Clubcard points (worth 2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin Flying Club) when you spend £60 on the plastic stuff.  Smaller order will attract 500 Clubcard points (1,200 Avios or 1,250 Virgin miles) for spending £30.

You should still take a close look at this deal if you have kids or are expecting to give any presents to a child soon!  LEGO makes a great gift or can easily be resold on eBay.

Full details, and a few interesting sets to consider which are also reduced in price, are in this Shopper Points article (click).  The home page for the £60 deal on Tesco Direct is here and the home page for the £30 deal is here.

‘Click and Collect’ delivery to your local Tesco store will be free as you are spending £30.  The deal runs until Monday night.

LEGO Star Wars

British Airways changes the rules on its ‘Plus’ short-haul fares

When British Airways revised its short haul fare structure this year, it was genuinely an enhancement.

I explained the new structure in detail here.

The old ‘hand baggage only’ fare became ‘Saver’.  The old ‘with checked bag’ fare became ‘Plus’ – but with the added benefit of totally free flight changes on the day of departure and no change fees for other amendments.  The old ‘fully flex’ ticket became ‘Plus Flex’.

BA has now started to roll back the features of these new fares.

As of last Friday, ‘Plus’ fares can no longer be changed for free except on the day of departure.  Changes made in advance will now incur a change fee, usually £35 out of the UK, as well as the difference in fare.

‘Plus’ tickets bought before last Friday are exempt and can be changed for just the fare difference.

Full details of the terms and conditions of each fare class can be found on ba.com here.

Comments (88)

• Craig says:

I imagine this is Alex at work! As I’m sure these original restructure fares came into effect before he took the helm! Disappointing to take back a great feature! Maybe BA could introduce a perk for SCH/GCH that allows free changes on ‘Plus’ fares.

• Scallder says:

OT (sorry): SPG have announced their autumn bonus – “You’ll earn double Starpoints® on weekday stays of two or more nights and triple Starpoints on weekends.* Registration begins September 12. Book your stays between September 12 and December 18, 2016.”

There’s also a daily competition to instant win a free night award, or 1k, k or 10k Starpoints. Overall grand prize (get a new entry every day) of 5 free night awards and 50k Starpoints.

I won 1k although having done it for my wife she got nothing from the instant win

• damboy says:

OT – is £1290 a good price for Qatar airlines Helsinki to KL business class R. Mixture of A340 and A360 and 777s aircrafts. Pretty new at this but looking for some flight in November that will earn me 560 BA tier points. Will this flight do it for me?

• AndyR says:

That seems to be the best price available on oneworld in November. If you don’t mind waiting a bit then Qatar most probably will do a sale.

• damboy says:

thanks. need to complete the flights by 8th November, so will hope for a Qatar sale in the next couple of weeks.

• Mikeact says:

Allow me to join in the off topics,
    1 Curve is now available on Android
    2 First time I tried to use my TSB Amex Avios today in a Tesco Extra. Card declined. Called TSB help desk. ‘Not declined by us, you do realise that some retailers will not accept any cards with Avios printed on them’. What ? What a load of absolute B S. I gave up arguing.

• AndyS says:

Well, I think “app” is a bit of an overstatement, but I won’t shoot the messenger! Thanks for the heads-up!

• Alan says:

Indeed, seems to be just a placeholder – has an appropriately poor rating on the Play Store as a result! Without Amex being accepted I can’t see any point in paying £35 for it?

• Mr Dee says:

My first time use on the Lloyds card was blocked too, some of the staff at these companies should go through some sort of IQ test before getting a job or at least have an idea how the card payments system works. Maybe a CS agent not knowing how to put you through to the security department that deal with it!

Still don’t see a loyalty program with Curve that was promised in the summer and I am sure very few have received their refer a friend bonuses that were meant to be given on activation, good luck to them with their Android app!

• TGLoyalty says:

for reading twitter it seems like referrals will start some time in Sept and full rewards in Oct

• Genghis says:

Indeed but the question is why the TSB Amex avios card in the first place? It wouldn’t be a card I would get…

• Mikeact says:

Because I was originally thinking I would back it up for overseas spend with Supercard, at 2 Avios per £ ,instead of 1 for UK spend. But then realised that overseas expenditure would probably show at 1 anyway, in which case it will be binned.

• Genghis says:

Depends how much money you were spending. The first charge on my last Amex Plat was £500 at a Tesco. The transaction was declined and when I called up I was told that ‘Tesco is a place fraudsters often shop at’…

• Jonathan says:

Sorry to be off topic but the £20 free Moneycorp card comments are closed. Has anybody received their free £20 yet? I haven’t and I got the card the day the article was published.