Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: good Amex / Nespresso deal, Vueling sale, BA flights to Tehran resumed

News in brief:

Amex / Nespresso deal

Three people dropped me a note about a new American Express promotion which, to be honest, I saw on my account but dismissed without investigation.  Two readers rated the deal highly, one thought it stunk!

Details of this deal should be under the ‘Offers’ section on your American Express online account. Check under each card you hold.  It should be there for one of them.

This is the deal – you order a specific coffee machine (link removed as broken overnight) which sells at £129 but you pay just £39.  However, you must order 400 Nespresso coffee capsules at the same time which cost you a minimum of 29p each.

Nespresso products are rarely heavily reduced so this is a decent deal in terms of value for money.  Whether you want to commit to buying 400 capsules upfront – especially as you may not be familiar with most of the flavours – is a different question.

Vueling

Major Vueling sale

Vueling is the little known sister of British Airways and Iberia.  International Airlines Group, the parent of BA and Iberia, took full control of the Spanish low cost carrier in 2013 and since then it has expanded rapidly to serve over 160 airports across Europe.

You can redeem Avios points for flights on Vueling as long as you transfer them to Iberia Plus first.  This is good news for travellers outside London who have a wider range of regional Avios redemption options.

From the UK, Vueling flies to (some services seasonal):

Birmingham – Alicante, Barcelona, Malaga

Cardiff – Alicante, Barcelona, Majorca, Malaga

Edinburgh – Alicante, Barcelona, Paris, Rome

Leeds Bradford – Barcelona

Liverpool – Barcelona

London Gatwick – Asturius, Barcelona, Bilbao, Florence, Paris, Rome, Santiago de Compostela

London Heathrow (T3) – La Coruna, Barcelona

London Luton – Amsterdam, Barcelona

Manchester – Alicante, Barcelona, Rome

Newcastle – Barcelona

Until 13th September, Vueling has a major sale with 1 million seats at €29.99 one way.   This could be a decent option for a cheap Autumn break in Spain.  Details of the sale are here.

Tehran

British Airways resumes flights to Tehran

British Airways flights to Tehran resumed last week, opening up an interesting range of new tourist options for more intrepid readers.

The service will operate six days per week with a four class Boeing 777.

British Airways’ only Farsi-speaking captain, Kami Johnson, explains the appeal of Iran for first time visitors in this video: https://youtu.be/QmBBdYB41Ao

Comments (78)

• Billy says:

Link for the nespresso deal seems to be broken

• mark2 says:

To book a flight on Vueling do you have to use the same Iberia site as for points. It is frequently broken!

• Concerto says:

I’d love to go to Iran, but you’d be stuffed for going to the US after. You’d need to obtain a visa for the US if they see you’ve been to Iran. I hesitate to imagine all the other problems which would arise too, including lots of S’s on your boarding pass.

• Clare Gibb says:

Quite – see below:

Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country).

• Lewis Watson says:

If you are a UK passport holder you can have 2 passports at one time. Make sure the Iranians stamp one and Americans the other.

• Genghis says:

But you will then have lied to get the ESTA, no?

• harry says:

bit of a white lie imv

they used to say get 2 passports if you’re going to Israel as well, to hide it from ME destinations

I guess these days you can’t/ won’t want to visit the likes of Syria/ Libya etc & I imagine the Gulf States don’t care any more

• Callum says:

I’m more concerned about Irans requirement for you to always be escorted by a tour guide.

From reading around it seems very easy to just line up a guide for day one then travel alone, but no matter how minuscule the risk, I don’t really fancy breaking the law in Iran! Another good reason to apply for an Irish passport (the rule doesn’t apply to them).

• Gavin says:

I had to get a USA visa recently having visited Iran in late 2011 (before having a tour guide was necessary – it only applied to Americans at that point). I was worried I’d be stuck in long passport queues at US immigration but you can actually use the new machines just like an ESTA user so it’s just as quick. I’ve had no other problems. The visa lasts for 10 years so no need for an ESTA until 2026.

• Lumma says:

I haven’t had any offers on any of my amex cards for months now. It’s starting to annoy me

• Ed says:

Anyone see eBay resale potential on the nespresso deal?

• Peter K says:

I had a look and you could make money on the machine but you would lose money on the capsules. Overall I think you would be lucky to break even so no it is not worth it. A good present for someone maybe if you want to spend ~£150 on them however.

• Mark says:

I would love to go back to Iran, but until they remove the required guide for British nationals i will not be back :/

It’s a shame, i would love to go back to this beautiful country, honestly one of the friendliest nation i have been to.

• Federico says:

Does anybody know how to check Avios redemption flight availability on Vueling?

• Lewis Watson says:

If you have BA status do you get longue access priority boarding check in etc with vueling?