Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

BREAKING 2: See the ‘Pay with Avios’ for food and drink prices

As a follow up to my main story below on charging for food and drink on board, BA has now sent me some sample ‘pay with Avios’ prices:

Mature cheddar cheese ploughman’s – £3 or 375 Avios

Lightly salted hand cooked crisps – £1 or 125 Avios

Water – £1.80 or 225 Avios

Tea or coffee – £2.30 or 300 Avios

G&T (Anika, please note 🙂 ) – £6 or 750 Avios

Wine – £4.50 or 575 Avios

image

It could have been less generous, I suppose. At around 0.8p per point there are worse ways to spend your points (but obviously far better ways too).

Comments (77)

• Peter K says:

I may be in the minority here but this is actually a BIG improvement for me. Before this I had basically no food anyway as no real free alternative for my wife and I was available. This made BA basically a non-option. Now I have a reason to utilise Avios short haul especially as i can buy food with Avios as well. RFD is actually back on the menu for us now, no pun intended.

• Peter K says:

* previously no gluten free option

• Barry cutters says:

I’m not gluten free but agree with you. Before you were given a biscuit or a mini pack of Crisps. Now I will have the option to buy something more substantial. I think this is an improvement . And paying for drinks . It’s not the end of the world , how many drinks do you really want on a 2h flight, I guess it’s different if you are going on holiday as a family of 4/5 , but 90-% of my Europe flying is for work, so I’m entitled to claim food/drinks anyway. this was bound to happen. How could they possibly afford to keep up against easy jet/Ryanair if they have to provide unlimited free drinks -never mind the lost sales revenue

• Will says:

How they compete is simple, they’ve got a monopoly on LHR, their prices are higher than LCC’s and they still get full planes plus they have things like lucrative contracts with Royal Mail to put European mail in the cargo bay (that’s why there are about a million flights a day to Düsseldorf afaik).

If the prices come down then great. If they remain expensive and there’s buy on board, hmmm.

You actually get more leg room on Ryanair!

• Nick_C says:

Surely people will simply buy their food at the airport and take it on board? Good news for airport shops.

• Barry Smith says:

I have to say that I wondered whether this could work against BA in the long run. Many people are unaware of avios and don’t collect them. Therefore, many people are losing value without realising it, while BA saves this.

I think this increased awareness of using avios for purchases will mean that this value is realised but also add administrative issues which is undesirable when passengers aren’t loyalty focused.