Bits: Amex Gold / Plat £15 Amazon discount extended, new £50 Hilton / Amex discount

Two bits of American Express-related news today:

£15 Amazon discount code extended

Amazon has extended its £15 discount code for Amex Gold and Platinum cardholders until 31st October.

This came as a big surprise given that the offer was meant to be limited to 33,333 people and must be close to that target.  I think HFP readers have done at least 10% of that quantity between them ….

You can save £15 on your next Amazon order of £25 or more as long as you part-pay with Membership Rewards points.  This is what to do:

If you have not already done so, link your Membership Rewards account with your Amazon account by visiting this page on the Amazon website

Buy £25 of items on amazon.co.uk (these must all be sold by Amazon and not third party merchants, and excludes digital content, including digital gift cards)

Enter code AMEX16SWP at check out

You MUST select your Membership Rewards-earning Amex card as your payment card (you cannot use gift cards or any other payment source)

Part-pay for your order using Membership Rewards points.  The sneaky option is to redeem just 2 points for a 1p discount.  This saves you ‘wasting’ MR points on a low value redemption.  You will only get 0.45p per point and you shouldn’t waste more than 2 of your valuable points on such a poor deal!

The Amazon link above (and here) pays HFP a small commission if you use it – consider your 2017 HFP sub paid for 2017!

Amazon

£50 cashback on £250 of Hilton spend

A new Hilton cashback offer has appeared on a lot of American Express accounts.  To see if you are targetted, visit the Amex website and take a look under the ‘Offers’ tab on the online statement page for each of your cards.

You will receive £50 cashback when you spend £250 or more at selected UK and European Hilton, Doubletree, Waldorf-Astoria, Curio and Conrad hotels before 8th May.

Not all hotels are participating.  Make sure that you check the list of hotels on the Amex website before booking.

In the past, these offers have been triggered by cumulative spend.  There is no mention of this – so you are not guaranteed to receive it if the £250 is not hit in one transaction – but you might be lucky.

Note that the Amex website also talks about ‘checkout spend’.  Does this mean that prepaid bookings will not count?  Perhaps, perhaps not.

This deal could work out nicely when combined with the current ‘2000 bonus points per night’ Hilton promotion.

HFP ‘Credit Cards’ page updated for February – what are the best deals this month?
My review of The Westin Palace hotel, Madrid

Comments

1. Johnny_c-l says:

OT – The Heathrow Rewards promo didn’t work for me with fx, standard points only. IIRC last time bonus points and standard all posted at the same time.

• Thanks for the update. I’ve been thinking about whether or not to make a trip down to Heathrow to do this today. I will probably give it a miss as I have other stuff that needs getting on with

• I hit this problem. Emailed my Travelex email receipt to HR customer service and they added the points the same day

2. James67 says:

Another OT sorry: Tesco current account 8 cc points per £4 spent in Tesco and 3% interest on £3000 (2 accounts pp possible), both fixed for 2yr from 1st April. Unfortunately no switch incentives are available.

• Genghis says:

Do I read that correctly? An almost 5% return using a Tesco debit card in Tesco? (Assuming avios at 1p). Wowsers. Might have to open an account…

• Genghis says:

It makes the Tesco premium credit card seriously uncompetitive. Changes in store?

• Genghis says:

Actually I believe the 8 includes the 4 earned from shopping at Tesco anyway so 4 per £4 for the debit card spend. Still v good at 2.4% if you don’t have another sign up bonus to hit.

• James67 says:

Yes, that’s the way I understood it. However, when considering you have to spend £4-5k (or even £8-10k with added stay incentives) in Tesco to get a return equivalent to free switching bonuses on offer at other banks it is not so great. All depends on how much extra value you can squeeze out of clubcard points and as I commented recently my cc-avios were poor value at only 1.28p/cc point tops on a rtn CW redemption to zone 7.

• Genghis says:

But given you don’t have to switch, you could view the Tesco product more like an ongoing spend credit card for Tesco use only (with added savings benefit) and then switch your main account for another bonus.

• James67 says:

@Genghis, yes, exactly what I’m comtemplating because 3% is the best return we can get on ready cash at the moment as far as I know. My only question is potential impact of all grocery spend through this card on ability to hit target spends on churns. Also, Sainsburys has been giving me offer after offer whilst tesco gives me zilch.

• I took one out the other day as we have a big purchase of over £10k at the end of the month and the credit card fee is too high to justify – you don’t need to pay in a monthly standing order or pay out dirct debits either as far as I could see.

• Covering this tomorrow. It is 1 point per £1 via the debit card in Tesco, on top of the usual. This rate is guaranteed for 2 years.

Wipes out the only reason to get the Tesco Premium credit card (ie 5000 points bonus for spending £5k in Tesco).

• James67 says:

It seems that the £4 issue still exists but hardly worth worrying about except for those who do loads of small transactions.

• How much is a Tesco meal deal these days?

• Aeronaut says:

@John

Less than £4. Think it might be £3.

• Well, not completely in agreement – it isn’t massive but it still adds up to a chunk off the advertised rate

• The meal deal is not a brilliant deal – you can buy the sandwich, some crisps and a 2L bottle of water for less than £3 anyway.

Change that to £4 on a sandwich, a large bag or multipack of crisps, some fruit and a 2L water bottle and there’s half your lunch for the rest of the week.

• Does anyone know for sure if you get the full 4 points/£4 for online ‘Tesco Wine by The Case”?

I noticed in the T&C that some items can earn less points, but can’t find if they are specified anywhere.

Thanks!

3. OT: Gold/plat card access not included, is there anyway to beat the £16.50 lounge access offered to Gourmet Society members?

4. Genghis says:

Now that’s an excellent OT. What they can do is put through two pay point transactions, one for £100 first (always smaller one first) then £200 and then charge you £300 on your Halifax card

• My Coop does it the other way round – always £200 first then the smaller amount – the other way round caused no end of trouble – don’t know why!

5. Can someone remind me how supplementary cards work with the Hilton offer?

i.e If the main card has the offer saved to card, using the supplementary should trigger – right?

• Johnny_c-l says:

Nope, offers are totally independent between cards. You could register the supplementary card too but any spend on the main card has no effect on the offer on the supplementary, and vice versa.

6. Just annoying when you sign up for a prepaid rate and the hotel doesn’t charge it till just before your stay!

• Genghis says:

Call the hotel and ask them to charge it if it means getting a bonus. The DT in Manchester even fully refunded a prepaid rate after it was charged onto one card and then put it onto my Santander debit card after a 10% cash back popped up.

7. rcarpe2 says:

O/T (but in Bits thread)
    More experienced hands may know this already, but it’s caught me out.
    My current IHG Accelerate targets cover the usual range, but weren’t updating correctly – nothing unusual there. But when I checked with the service centre, it turns out that *some* of the targets require both the booking and the stay to be within the promotion dates, whereas others require only the *stay* to be within these limits. As a result a stay right at the beginning of the period has been disallowed for some targets (since I had to book it before the first date).
    The T+Cs are different for every individual target.
    Too late now, but clearly care is needed for the next promotion.

• This happened to me aswell. Some of my targets allowed bookings made before the challenge started to count, others did not. Had my fingers burnt in this one. Never mind – live and learn.

• I noticed that. I qualified for my 5 nights bonus but not the first stay bonus because it was booked prior to the offer period. They also haven’t been applying the 1k January bonus either.

I would have thought the IT for this sort of thing would be straightforward but apparently not.

• Genghis says:

My Jan bonus has been received automatically.

• All my IHG offers have always credited with no intervention from me (provided that I adhered to the T&Cs)

• rcarpe2 says:

The thing that irritated me was that the T&Cs for the individual targets were different to each other. It’s asking quite a lot of Joe Public to work out that some targets start on 1/1 and some don’t!

• Genghis says:

An important skill in this ‘hobby’ is the ability to read T&Cs.

8. Used the last £50 Hilton offer on BAPP and it did trigger on a pre-payment stay that was booked within the offer period (but stay was outside the offer terms) – took a week to come through though – certainly not as instant as some merchants where you get the email the second you spend.

• Erm, this is because booking with Hilton (outside the USA) simply sends your card number to the hotel and a clerk has to charge the card manually. So it may well have come through as soon as you were charged

9. O/T but Hilton…

In addition to the 2k Every Day promo that Harry recently reminded us about ;p

There’s another v minor one for booking using the app, extra 500 points.

Need to register…

10. sprout7 says:

Is this offer for a limited time? I don’t have a Halifax account but might be worth getting one if this is an on-going offer! thx

• Genghis says:

Valid till 26 Feb. I’ve not seen this offer before.

• James67 says:

If you switch do so before the end of this month as bonus is dropping from £100 to £75.

• You should have had a Halifax account for a free £60 per year (sadly now only £36), but there is no guarantee that anyone will get any of the Halifax offers. I get them maybe once a year whereas other people get them all the time.

• Yes, I have a Halifax account, but there is nothing on mine about Coop – Qatar is there, though!

• Where are the offers shown? – I have a Halifax account but just pay in the minimum amount plus 2 DDs a month… not aware of seeing any offers over the last 18 months or so

• Doodles says:

@Nick M, I also have a Halifax account that has the minimum activity to get the monthly reward. I have never seen any offers on that and even though I have used the debit card this year, still no offers. So, if you don’t use the card, you probably don’t see the offers. I also have a Lloyds account which I use and which has regular offers.

• Genghis says:

I last used Halifax Clarity in Sep and that was only for a cash withdrawal. Before that it was for a Sofitel in China and got some cash back prob in Apr/May time but still get offers on there. They do seem predominantly travel related tho but the co op one is there and I have never used Clarity in such an establishment.

• Thanks for the extra info… may have to think about using it on occasion – I put as much as poss through Coop so could easily do £350 in one go

• the real harry1 says:

no g’tee you’d get the offer in any case – nothing for us

11. OT: has anyone successfully signed up for a US Economist subscription without having a credit card registered in the US?

• Genghis says:

No but we signed up for a South Korea digital sub for just over £100 (with 10.2k avios) and paid on a Curve. Transaction yet to hit statement though

• Steve-B says:

Yes, I signed up under the last promotion (late last year) using Supercard. No issues subscribing. The points didn’t post to my IB account but an email to CS sorted that out fairly swiftly though.

12. Huh. I just got an Accor meeting planner email, and it reminded me – did anyone ever get the 1000 points for signing up for that?

13. Amazon code not applying

14. I never get any of these Amex offers showing up.

15. Will the amazon deal work on a second amazon account, using the same Amex card I have already used on my account?

16. Amazon code isn’t working – has it expired already?

• Had same issue. Actually items need to be sold and fulfilled by amazon. Then the code worked. Most items have a more expensive version sold and fulfilled by amazon.

17. rams1981 says:

OT AMEX churners – is there a card you keep throughout the process or are your churning cycles well organised so you always have a card hitting a spend target for bonus points?

I’m wondering if it’s worth it. My plan at the moment is to hit targets, cancel cards and then in the 6 month waiting period using my Virgin AMEX which you pay the year’s fee for and can’t have it refunded. If you have gaps whilst you churn which cards do you use?

• I churn all my Amex. Cancel then reapply after the 6 months

I do have a long standing Santander Credit Card – I use it once a month on £5 spend only. The reason I have to stop all my reapplications on the Amex’s from affecting my credit rating.

I also have the Virgin Black Amex. If I could get a pro-rata refund now I would as the points are impossible to get anything decent! I just used that now for non-Amex spend. Personally the £140 application fee isn’t worth it for me. I’m sure others get good value from it.

• Usually have a card, have previously used periods without an Amex to work towards my £10k for free night from IHG Premium Card. Just received Virgin Black card so will probably hold on to that going forward. Will see if I can get enough value considering the sunk £140.

• rams1981 says:

thanks guys. I also have an IHG premium card which I try to spend 10k on. Luckily last year after @liz said she had the fee waived, I managed to do the same. If they do that again I will definitely keep that and spend 10k on it.

Also have Hilton card which I have minor spend on just to keep it going.

Will cancel the virgin when the year is up. Will also cancel the HSBC premier elite card when year is up if they don’t offer bonuses in year 2.

It’s actually mad how much spend I’ve had this year, but then I moved home so unlikely to be repeated soon. So reality is churning and referrals are my best way to boost points balances. That being said the thought of having AMEX platinum for the insurance is always there and one of the reasons I’m wondering if it’s worth keeping it for that alone.

• Yes I am hoping to get fee waived again this year as I have spent a lot on my IHG in the past 11 mths. We plan on churning the Plat cards again just before our big trips in Apr/May and again in Aug in the hope we get upgraded car hire like last year and having the car hire insurance.

• Genghis says:

@rams1981 @Liz Is this the Barclaycard version? I only have the Creation one and have spent a fortune on it since Aug but a free year next year would be great…

• rams1981 says:

Barclaycard version. They charged me, i called and said I may need to cancel the card, was there anything they could do and they agreed to waive the fee.

• Yes Barclaycard for me too.

18. Nicholas Shaw says:

19. Nicholas Shaw says:

Amazon deal just worked for me, combined it with Prime offer of £10 off £50 spend on kids clothes; so £25 off it total.

• Anything specific you had to do? Tried applying the code on a couple of purchases this morning and get “The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase”. In all cases the items were sold by Amazon and were not digital.

• the real harry1 says:

you gotta take this the right way 🙂 – no criticism intended – afaics all the people not getting the Amazon deal to work are simply demonstrating user error – you need to follow the instructions & be prepared to repeat if it doesn’t work first time

the message ‘you have already redeemed etc’ is a good sign as it means you have successfully put the code in ready to use – now use it
        Amazon supplied goods only
        no need to register your Amex card beforehand
        you need to opt to pay with your Amex card then also opt to use some Amex points to part pay
        put in the code
        go to checkout & you’ll see the discount applied – if not, go back & repeat some steps

20. AMEX16SWP, It worked for me.

21. Brand new gold card so no offers yet to try.
    Rob quotes ‘excludes digital content, including digital gift cards’.
    Does that mean that a physical gift card would count?

22. Simon Spanswick says:

I’ve failed on three separate attempts (double checking that the item or items are sold and fulfilled by Amazon) today to get the code to work. Perhaps the ceiling of 33,333 has been hit?
    Alternatively, I’m being really stupid as I had this working earlier in the year with the magic tip of using just two Amex MR points.
    All help gratefully received if anyone has a straightforward solution!

• Simon Spanswick says:

Now I understand, having read the Ts&Cs:
      “4. The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is £15 per eligible Amazon account.” Having already used the offer, it won’t allow a repeat discount! Fair enough.

23. Hilton offer details in case your card is missing it: offerId=EE17DCAB478A43500905EBFF8DE94F61 offerSourceId=B4C0C0C62FDA1D6E3D99D55E701A5CB3
    offerFullfillType=COUPONLESS

24. Charlie says:

Got this email from BA at 6pm today, does not look targeted.

5,000 Avios for the first 100 to book with Avis

Hitting the road just got even more rewarding – you can now collect 800 bonus Avios with Avis rentals of three days or more. That’s on top of the usual 700 Avios you’d receive as a British Airways Executive Club member. Just book and rent between 7 February and 7 April 2017*. And don’t forget, you also get a free additional driver on every rental.

But wait, it gets better. The first 100 to book get an extra 5,000 Avios**. So with all those Avios to collect, your next trip could soon lead to another.

*Terms and conditions apply. To qualify for 800 bonus Avios, rentals must be booked and rented between 7 February and 7 April 2017 on ba.com, avisba.com or with the British Airways contact centre. Minimum 3 day rental length, minimum car group C. Rentals booked using Avios or Avios and Money do not qualify for the bonus. For full terms and conditions visit avisba.com

**The 5,000 bonus Avios prize is available to the first 100 people who book their Avis rental within the promotional period and pay in full. Eligible entrants must be residents of the United Kingdom (UK), aged 23 years or over and who hold a valid UK driving licence. More information on terms and conditions and prize availability can be found at http://www.avisba.com/promotion

25. James67 says:

OT: Called AF this afternoon, got a super friendly and competent agent within two minutes who split and changed our ticket, advised on and selected seats, and arranged a refund all in under 10 minutes. Within two hours the split ticket was issued along with a receipt for the refund. On the 4th of January I called BA to upgrade two WTP tickets to CW, I waited over 20min for an agent who was friendly and competent enough but over a month on I am still waiting for them to issue the tickets and bill me, and as a result we will likely miss out on our favoured seats. Just a sign of the times and how far BA are falling behind.

26. Firstly a quick thanks for the great blog Rob! I spend c.£10k a month on amazon through business activities and since reading this have tried to put a number of sales through your link. Whilst this is useful to hit spending thresholds on cards etc, I was wondering if there’s anything exciting you would recommend to monetise?