Bits: now a Tesco / BA competition, 20% Tesco to Virgin bonus?, 1200 Avios with Tesco PayQwiq

News in brief:

British Airways launches a Clubcard / Avios conversion competition

Last week I wrote about the competition that avios.com is running if you convert your Tesco Clubcard vouchers into Avios via the avios.com platform.

As a reminder, for every £2.50 of Clubcard vouchers you convert via avios.com before 31st August, you will receive one entry in a prize draw:

Two people will win 50,000 Avios

Three people will win 25,000 Avios

150 people will win 5,500 Avios

British Airways has now released its competing competition.

For every £5 of Clubcard vouchers you convert to Avios via ba.com before 31st August, you will receive one entry in a prize draw.  There is ONE prize consisting of:

two return British Airways Club Europe flights to Berlin

a three night stay at a choice of 5* hotels on a B&B basis – Waldorf Astoria Berlin 5* (very nice, says Anika), Ritz Carlton 5* (I’ve stayed, very nice, picture below) and Hilton Berlin (why you’d pick this I’ve no idea!)

The prize is valid for travel between 1st October and 20th December 2017.

I’d value the BA prize at about £1,000.   The avios.com prize pot (1m Avios in total) is worth around £10,000!  Logically, you should enter the avios.com competition although on the face of it the British Airways prize sounds more exciting.

Details of BA competition can be found on the Executive Club ‘News & Offers’ page here.

Ritz Carlton Berlin

20% bonus Virgin Atlantic miles with Tesco?

There were some reports in the HFP comments yesterday from readers who received a 20% bonus when they converted their Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Virgin Flying Club.

There is no official announcement yet on either the Clubcard or Virgin websites.  However, if you are considering what to do with your vouchers, you may want to hold off for a day or so until we know if a Virgin deal is live and what the terms are.

Of course, now that Clubcard is offering a ‘genuine’ 3 x face value deal with Uber, any Uber user would be ‘paying’ 1p per Virgin mile this way.  A £1 Clubcard voucher would be worth £3 of Uber credit or (250 * 20% bonus) 300 Virgin miles.  You may not consider that worthwhile.

If there is any official news on a bonus, it will appear on the Tesco / Virgin website here or the Virgin /  Tesco website here.

Virgin Atlantic

1,200 Avios with PayQwiq

Tesco and PayQwiq have brought back their “free Clubcard points when using PayQwiq” offer.

New customers downloading the PayQwiq app and using it can get up to 500 free Clubcard points (1,200 Avios).

The app must be downloaded by 3rd September and the last day to collect points is 31st October.  You can collect 100 points once per week, so you need to spread out your Tesco visits.

Full details are in this Shopper Points article.

BA Club Europe flash sale - flights plus hotel from £269 per person!
New: earn Avios and save 5% at World Duty Free / Dufry stores across Europe

Comments

1. Off topic question here –

Is it possible to bring one guest with you into a lounge via Amex plat PriorityPass then leave and come back with another guest without incurring extra fees?

I will be getting the lounge with a guest 1 hour before the other guest.

Cheers

• The question is more ‘can you enter the same lounge twice in a day?’ And I don’t know.

• Andrew says:

As long as it is a different gate agent / they don’t remember you, then the answer is yes – I’ve gone in and out (re-swiped in) many times…

2. OT Marriott Avios have posted

3. johnny_c-l says:

OT – Does anyone have experience of sending money through PayPal to a company, specifically does the transaction post as a cash advance or purchase?

• Always a purchase, but make sure you use ‘pay for goods and services’ or pay a paypal invoice that the company sends you

• Just be careful, PayPal monitor for things that look like cash advances and take a dim view of the (if that’s what you are planning)

Having said that, as long as the payments are not a significant chunk of the monthly throughput they don’t pick it up.

Just don’t use an amex issued card, amex ban you quickly for this (I’ve been banned by amex even though PayPal didn’t pick me up on it). Mbna are fine.

When my business was growing it actually reduced my PayPal fees overall as I used my own credit card to push my account over the £55k threshold into the 1.4% bracket.

• Johnny_c-l says:

Thanks for the advice Will. Fingers crossed should be OK as this is a genuine one-off payment to a company who are providing me with tour services when I’m in China next year.

I’m usually always up for taking a punt to exploit MS loopholes but I’ve heard of enough horror stories with PayPal to not try it on!

4. Sundar says:

Hi Rob,
    Is there going to be a August Credit cards update article tomorrow ? Looking forward to it

5. I’ve just got this from Hilton…. ‘NOTICE: Members will no longer be able to earn Points for Avis Car Rentals booked after 8/31/2017’……. Shame as we were doing quite nicely from it.

6. Is there any sign up bonus for new Lufthansa account?

7. Chelseafi says:

O/T Amex online account I can’t send message? Has this changed or is because I’m currently outside UK.

8. The Hilton Berlin is actually very high-end – it’s not like any other Hilton I’ve stayed at. It’s much more like a Conrad than a Hilton and it’s also in a great location in the city.

Having travelled to Berlin a lot on business with the option of staying in most of the good hotels, including the Waldorf, IC Berlin, etc. I would choose the Hilton every time.

• Interesting. I know where it is but have never been inside.

• Agreed, have stayed at the Hilton and the Waldorf but would pick the Hilton next time (for breakfast benefits if nothing else!)

9. Pete Garside says:

Just converted Clubcard points to 15000 Virgin miles and got 3000 award summer bonus miles.

• RichardB says:

Me too, but I only converted 1000 CC to test the waters. Got the usual 2500 Virgin plus another 500 “Award Summer Bonus”. Wonder if the bonus is awarded for one conversion only before I throw the lot at it…

10. Hello,

Quick Question. Can I convert TEsco Club Card points in my name, to my partners Flying Club account (we live at the same address).

Many Thanks

11. Ive emailed both tesco and virgin who both state there is no 20% bonus conversion at the moment
    so those who managed the bonus well done.

12. sarah gorman says: