GOOD DEAL: Get 18,000 Avios for £146 – minimal effort required!

EDIT: this deal is now dead as the bonus has been cut to 9,000 Avios

I’ve written before about the generous deal between AerClub, the new Aer Lingus Avios-based frequent flyer scheme, and Ireland’s Irish Independent / Sunday Independent newspapers.

The deal has now got even better and you do not need to live in Ireland to take part.

You don’t even need to have an AerClub account.  The Avios can be dropped into a British Airways or avios.com account instead.

What is the deal?

You will earn 18,000 Avios points when you take out a DIGITAL subscription to the Irish Independent or Sunday Independent newspapers for €160 (£146).

This works out at 0.81p per Avios if you use a credit card with 0% FX fees.  If you use a card with a 3% FX fee the cost rises to 0.83p per Avios.

You can sign up via this website here.  At no point during the sign-up process are you asked for your home address, so you don’t need to be concerned about living outside Ireland.

Sunday Independent

This is a new deal.  You could previously only subscribe for home delivery.

If you live in Ireland, you may find the physical bundles to be more valuable.  These allow you to order a physical home-delivered copy of the Irish Independent and Sunday Independent every day for six months for €349 and earn 30,000 Avios on top.  If you don’t live in Ireland, or don’t have a relative who wants some free newspapers, the new digital offer is more suitable.

Note that you will need to cancel your subscription before it expires otherwise it will roll over.

Is 0.81p per Avios a good deal?

Yes.  It is difficult to lose money redeeming Avios for flights on this basis.

This is my general ‘what is an Avios point worth?’ article.  You’ll see that you should be getting well over 1p per point in most redemption scenarios.

Of course, if you are would actually read the digital newspapers then it is a very good deal indeed!

Irish Independent digital offer

How do you get your Avios?

The process is explained on this page of avios.com, which has not yet been updated to reflect the new digital package.

You will be sent a voucher code by email – a reader in the comments section was told it would arrive within 21 days.  You head to the Avios voucher redemption website here, select which programme you want to drop the Avios into and then input your code.  Easy!

The offer runs until 30th November.  The sign-up page is here.

REMINDER: Get exclusive benefits on luxury hotel bookings via Head for Points
A great Marriott family redemption - Domes of Elounda, Crete

Comments

1. O/T
    I expect this one is for Genghis (or similar Amex churn specialists!)

How long does the referral bonus take to arrive?

As an Amex Plat holder myself, I referred a friend for the same Amex Plat card, who then subsequently applied using the referral link last Monday lunchtime – and received an immediate successful application decision online. I thought the 18K MR referrer bonus arrived in about 3-4 days?

• Genghis says:

For me, the referral points have always arrived the day before / same day that the referee’s card arrived. I’d wait a few more days and then look at following that one up.

• Thanks Genghis! Do they only post overnight….or just as and when during the day?

• Genghis says:

I’ve never understood when Amex update. There seems to be an overnight run and a late afternoon run (where transactions, points and bonus / referral points post) but if someone has more detail than me, please post.

• Not exactly scientific – but oddly they arrived literally minutes after the card arrived through the letterbox – about 1pm. They weren’t there at noon.

• longest I waited was 8 days after the person i referred was accepted

2. This ones a better deal that Groupon/Iberia. I bought 8K avios groupon deal for €99 (gbp 94). Should have waited for this one.

3. I signed up, got confirmation but not the voucher to claim the Avios

• I signed up, paid, got confirmation but not the voucher to claim the Avios

• Yes, that’s how it is SUPPOSED to be. Read the T&C before signing up – you can cancel for free during the first 14 day and will get a refund, so the voucher will only be send AFTER you did NOT CANCEL for TWO WEEKS.

The only Thing that scares me a Llttle is that the T&C say the avios voucher has to be redeemed by the end of June 2017… Obviously a mistake because they still have the offer only, so I took the chance.

• John Hassett says:

I am able to access the digital edition for free and do so most days. So whats the big deal here?

4. Ot- got afternoon tea booked at the landmark hotel, London and wondering if joining their loyalty programme worth it as it states 10% off for dining?

5. Isochronous says:

Just signed up for this. How long for the Avios voucher to arrive in the email?

6. twoclicks says:

Can you do this multiple times from different email addresses?

7. twoclicks says:

Re. Different email addresses, ** for example, a separate voucher for BA, a separate one for Iberia plus and one for avios.com , using different credit cards if necessary (you can guess who needs to do an avios redemption quickly…)

8. you do have to give a phone number though? so they might know you’re not in Ireland

• The logical subscriber to an online version of an Irish newspaper would be an Irish person not living in Ireland ….

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

A logical subscriber, but not the. Much like smart phones existing long before 2014 so many people irrespective of physical location have moved their consumption online.

9. For anyone looking at the 18,000 Avios for Irish Independent digital paper and is worried about how to cancel before any annual renewal I would suggest you email their customer services :
    [email protected]

They can advise best way to contact them from outside the Uk as you definitely won’t get through using 1890 which is a low call rate in Ireland. Trying to google research in Ireland is actually more difficult than you might imagine so I’d simply email them. I’ve signed up and the Avios code is emailed within 21 days of the signup.

• Thanks LW.

• Ruth Findlay says:

I emailed to make sure I cancel the subscription on an ongoing basis – and they said I had to wait until “nearer the time” to cancel the subscription. I explained I’d probably forget and if it wasn’t possible to cancel now for a year hence where in the T&Cs does it say that. They emailed back to say it was now cancelled for future payments. I’ll keep an eye out nevertheless just to be sure.

10. Just to add, Reachhome delivery reply fairly quickly too.

11. Adam Jefford says:

Does anyone know if I can buy this subscription for an Irish friend as a gift, but claim the avios for my account?

12. OT, but I just got told by the BA call centre that BA Customer Relations is only open after 1pm BST.

– this is after chasing with 2 phone calls to get an erroneous call centre charge refund and an online complaint form sent 3 weeks ago that has not been responded to (they refused to take a polite complaint over the phone)

is the 1pm thing new? is it BS? Is it ever going to happen?

13. Irish Independent owner faces 20% profit drop – this will boost sales at a time of need, but any guarantee the avios will be given?

14. So, are people actually receiving the vouchers/avios ? Tempted to jump in on this one.

• Vouchers will take 3 weeks apparently. Offer runs until November, at least, so still plenty of time to jump in once they start turning up. No-one ever reported any problems from earlier Irish Independent offers though (unlike, say, Economist offers!).

15. Zack Carter says:

Hi all,

It’s been 1 full week for me and I still haven’t received the email to the voucher link for the avios.

Not sure if they have been overwhelmed by subscribers to their service!

16. My voucher has just arrived. It says it has to be credited to an Aerclub account. Haven’t had time to redeem it yet. Hopefully, it will allow me to credit it to Avios, BA or Iberia

• I just reddemed it to BA

• Hassan Shah says:

Hi Molly.
        How did you get it redeemed to BA.
        On https://www.aviosvouchers.com/ all i can see is the details for BAEC membership details and ur email etc…
        It doesn’t ask you for the avios voucher code..
        Where do v enter that ?

• Genghis says:

Press ‘submit’ then it takes you to another screen…

• Hassan Shah says:

Thanks.
          Done.
          With the BA EC family account setup, i can put these avios points in my family members’ BA account and then i can redeem them myself ? is that correct ?

• Genghis says:

Yes – the points are redeemed on a prorata basis from each individual account based on the number of points actually in the account. E.g. One account has 30k avios in and another has 60k and you make a 9k redemption, 30k/(60k+30k) x 9k = 3k will come from one account and 6k will come from the other.

• Genghis says:

You can also transfer avios to Avios if you wish to take points from a specific account. I.e. my MIL is in our HHA so whenever she earns avios from flights etc and I go to make a redemption, I empty her account first.

• Hassan Shah says:

Thanks Genghis for all the info.
          Cheers.

17. I applied for the online version on day one I never got any conformation email but I just received an email from Avios with a code for my 18,000 Avios. It says they should be deposited in your Club Aer account but when you log in it allows you to deposit it in Avios or BAEC

• I applied after the post was published on HfP. 9 days later I got the code and have submitted the points to my BAEC. Many thanks!

18. nowMads says:

I have an account of BA and an account for IB.
    is it allowed to buy twice so that each of my account may receive 18000 avios?

19. It is sad that I redeem the voucher into the AerClub account. And there is no way to transfer them to my Ba account by now.

20. Alistair says:

I think the offer has been pulled early for Digital Subscriptions as i am being offered 9000 avios today?