Bits: new Avios route to Oz with Qantas, Aer Lingus launches ‘no baggage’ long-haul fares

News in brief:

Qantas and Emirates revamp their partnership, with an impact on Avios tickets to Australia

As the major partnership between Qantas and Emirates approaches the end of its original five year term, the two airlines have announced a five year extension – plus major changes in how it will work.

These are, I think, positive from a UK perspective.

At present, Qantas flies Sydney – Dubai – London Heathrow using an A380.  This service is to be scrapped from 25th March.

Instead, Qantas is launching Sydney – Singapore – London Heathrow using an A380.  The timings are virtually identical to the British Airways flight on the same route.

Avios seats might become slightly easier to get on the existing British Airways flight to Sydney, which goes via Singapore.  Some travellers will now choose Qantas over BA, either for just Heathrow to Singapore or all the way through.  The Qantas A380 offers First Class and Premium Economy, a la British Airways.

At the same time, the number of Avios seats to Dubai will drop – although this market is already well served by British Airways into both Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Remember that Qantas is also launching its NON-STOP 17-hour flight from Heathrow to Perth in 2018.  This will use a new Boeing 787.

Even though Qantas will no longer fly via Dubai, you can still book Emirates flights via Dubai to Asia and Australasia as Qantas codeshares.  This means that they will continue to earn Avios and British Airways tier points, as this HFP article explains.

Qantas is making another change at the same time which may also impact your Avios redemption thinking.  Singapore to Melbourne is being upgraded to an A380 which means increased capacity and the introduction of First Class and premium economy.

The route map below, click to enlarge, shows the possible routes between the UK and Australia using Qantas and Emirates.  You are spoilt for choice.

Qantas Emirates route map

Aer Lingus launches ‘Saver’ long-haul tickets

In a sign of what may be coming to sister airline British Airways soon, Aer Lingus has launched ‘fewer frills’ ‘Saver’ tickets on some routes from Dublin to the USA.

This are currently priced at €80 less than a standard return ticket.  You DO still get free food but you won’t get a free suitcase, free seat selection or a blanket or headphones on board.

If you eventually end up checking in a suitcase then there is minimal saving here and, on West Coast routes, you will end up paying more in total.  Assuming that the majority of US leisure travellers will be checking in a case, this seems to be a move aimed mainly at positioning Aer Lingus alongside Norwegian, price wise, on flight comparison sites.

What is weird is that you need to stay away for a Saturday night in order to book a ‘Saver’ fare.  This is typical ‘legacy airline’ behaviour (Norwegian doesn’t do this).  And, as I said above, these fares are often not even cheaper if you end up checking luggage, which most people will.

You will still earn Avios on ‘Saver’ fares at the standard rate of 3 per €1 on the base fare.

You can find out more about long-haul ‘Saver’ tickets here.

IHG brings back its generous 'Accelerate' offer for Autumn
The best Avios and Virgin miles-earning wine deals currently available

Comments

1. If you want 150 Marriott points simply add them to you Slack. Big campaign on Twitter at present. Just need to re tweet https://twitter.com/marriottrewards/status/903611983320285184

• They have been rather generous haven’t they? They have given me about 1500 points this week for a couple of retweets and replies with the #membersgetit hashtag, plus the 1,000 for following them on social media etc. If this continues, my Ritz-Carlton redemption will funded without raiding Amex too much…

• Could you please explain to a pensioner what you have to do to get the extra points?

• Rob did and article on the social media thing a couple of weeks ago, it’s under the Marriott links.

I’ve just replied to a few of their tweets and they give you 50 points for that, a retweet of their slack thing was 150 points and they tweeted me with a “here’s 1,000 points – enjoy” for no obvious reasons.

I don’t really expect to rack up 30k points from this but every 50 points freebie is 67 MRs saved so worth a pop.

• New Card says:

Having a very different problem… my 1,000 avios for signing up never arrived, and I can’t seem to log in to Marriott Rewards, looks like my account has been deactivated?!

2. And what with Cathy Pacific opening up routes to Northern Europe next year, Copenhagen, Brussels and Dublin, things may be looking a little brighter using Avios for Australia. For anybody going to Aus before the year is out, Qantas are now offering seats on their new 787 Dreamliner on Domestic routes. Sydney/Melbourne, Business Class 9000 Avios, or Melbourne/Perth 20000. I personally, have always been a fan of their Business Class.

• JoshBosh says:

Welcome at the door by name, and great wine…. what is not to like about Qantas domestic!

3. Just being picky! “Qantas is re-launching …” might be a more accurate statement. I flew the Singapore-Heathrow leg of Flight QF31 on one of their A380s in February 2012, and this flight had originated in Sydney.

• Michael Jennings says:

Yes, Qantas’ principal hub for flights to Australia was Singapore for decades (although at various points they were flying SYD-LHR via Hong Kong and Bangkok as well as Singapore, including at one point all three at the same time). I’m happy they have switched back to Singapore, as I much prefer it to Dubai as a place for a stopover.

It will now be interesting to see how popular it becomes to fly directly to Perth and then on to the East Coast from there. I guess nobody (including Qantas) know which alternative people are going to prefer until they try it.

4. “You are not spoilt for choice.”
    Why not?

5. The drawback with QF pulling flights from DXB is that you will no longer get OW status based lounge access to EK DXB lounges as a BA silver/gold. Previously this was available on QF metal. This is not covered in the article.

6. Wish Qantas had gone for HKG rather than SIN, if they had done even more people would be prepared to fly them.

• Michael Jennings says:

For people who want to go to HKG, maybe. To get to Sydney it makes the trip an hour or so longer, though.

• No, you miss the point, I’m talking about people wanting to get to Sydney or beyond.

They have a problem right now with people not wanting to route through Dubai / ME – which has been hurting them.
        My point was just that there are plenty of people who similarly refuse to route via SIN either.

• Where are you getting these statements from? I can vaguely buy that a small percentage refuse to route via Dubai, but Singapore…

Who says Dubai is hurting Qantas? They seem to be doing pretty well out of the partnership – hence why they renewed it.

• The numbers Qantas was putting about last week suggest it is doing very well. The “truth”, I suspect, is that Australian passengers preferred Emirates when given the choice on DXB-SYD. There is no doubt too that, commercially, there is less competition on LHR-SIN than LHR-DXB/AUH.

7. It also means that Qantas capacity into LHR will overall reduce as they currently run 2 x A380 services through DXB – one from MEL, the other SYD – to be replaces by 1 x A380 (SYD&SIN) and 1 x 789 (PER)

8. William Benson says:

Will QF open up Reward seats for Avios booking? Not seeing anything yet.

9. OT: Looking at BA/AA flights to Florida in November. It seems to be about £200 cheaper if I book through TravelUp rather than directly with BA. Being new to this – what should I watch out for? Would the flights for example not be eligible to earn Avios?

10. Now,now @Mikeact. Be nice! We were all newbies at some point, seekng reassurances etc. And, there is a lot to get your head round in the beginning.

11. Why on Earth does Saturday night stay rule still exist? BA seem to be on of the few if not the only legacy carrier who still sticks to it. I recently went to Moscow for a midweek business trip (Tue to Thu) with BA charging eye-watering 600 quid in economy with no food and crappy A321 with Aeroflot ticket being £250 with hot food, A330 plane and better airport in Moscow…

• I was there earlier in the week. £1,200 in Y or £1,400 in J. Chose J but I wasn’t paying…

12. Does anyone know what is the rationale of putting two competing services at the same time rather then spreading across the day (or at least by 1-2 hours) to better respond to customer needs and demand? In their greedy desire to compete they are simply causing frustration among passengers and pushing them away to third-party competitors with suitable flight timings

• I imagine there is a very tight window during which you can do this, since it requires Sydney and Heathrow to be open (both close overnight). There are actually 2 Qantas flights a day to Singapore (although only the A380 will continue to London) and 2 BA flights to Singapore so you have a bit of flexibility if you want a longer break in the middle.

• I mean more in general – it’s often the case with other services too

• Limited windows of operations and airlines trying to maximise utilisation of aircraft. Take Hong Kong as an example, both BA flights leave HKG around midnight to arrive back at 0530-0600 which is as early as possible wirh the curfews at Heathrow.

The early flight leaves London around 1830 and the later one leaves around 2130, arriving around 1400 and 1700 respectively. Takes about three hours to turn a long haul plane around so in theory they could leave HKG at 1700 and 2000 respectively. This would get to LHR at 0000 and 0300 which isn’t allowed so they have to hang around on the ground at HKG to ensure they arrive in London in operating hours.

Flight times are basically fixed – you can’t fly slower as that’s really inefficient and you can’t go faster because the plane won’t go any faster. Add this up across the network, balance outbound and inbound constraints and you end up with limited windows for your flights. So they all sort of go the same time.

13. Cuchlainn says:

OT Qs please :
    Looking to use 1 of my BA 2-4-1 vouchers next July for Florida for my 25th Anniversary. Since I am coming from NI my home airports are either BHD, BFS or DUB at a push.
    1. Is my domestic connection to London included in the voucher ? ( Even if it is from DUB ? )
    2. Will my bags transfer on both legs if I am using same airport / BA metal ?
    3. Does the 2-4-1 allow me to use Aer Lingus as my domestic connection and would my transatlantic connection “carry over” for the domestic connection ? ( I anticipate a Mall overdose if previous trips are anything to go by !! )
    Thanks

• Cuchlainn says:

Oops – Q3 should be in relation to my baggage allowance carrying over..

• 1. Yes but 241 needs to be ex-UK
      2. Yes bags transfer
      3. BA metal only. Highest baggage allowance of all the sectors on all sectors

• Cuchlainn says:

Cheers Genghis – my problem is BA only fly BHD to LHR and then LGW to MCO ( still available for next July at present ). No other Florida airports are available for 2-4-1 mid-July flights !!
        Would this class as a connecting flight even though it is different airports ?
        I presume it is just the normal BA Customer Services I ring to try and book my 2-4-1 voucher, as I have no BA status at all ?

• Yes, they’ll let you book with an airport change in London as long as you have enough time for the connection (and you’ll need to sort bags yourself).

Should be bookable online – we’re lucky with EDI to have all 3 BA London airports covered, and I certainly remember seeing options with airport changes when booking on the website.

• Cuchlainn says:

Super job Alan – thanks for update – will ring BA today and update HFP later.

• Cuchlainn says:

Alan ( and Genghis ),
          Booking accepted : BHD to LHR ( voluntary transfer via ourselves to LGW ) then LGW to MCO in WT+ . Return is MCO to LGW in Club World and LHR to BHD in CE – looking forward to it thanks.

• Fantastic, glad you got it sorted & thanks for feeding back!

14. A little on the niche side but I think the opportunity to earn Avios and tier points on EK from LHR will disappear. I cannot see any codeshares via DXB offered on QF after 25th March – you can however still do this from European cities on the EK network