Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get 500 FREE Avios for joining IHG Rewards Club – no stay required

Avios (via Iberia Plus) and IHG Rewards Club have joined forces to offer you 500 Avios points for signing up – no stay required.

Full details are on the IHG website here.

IHG Rewards Club is the loyalty programme for Holiday Inn, InterContinental, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo etc.  A lot of Head for Points readers will already be IHG Rewards Club members – but perhaps there are members of your family, perhaps people with whom you share a British Airways Executive Club household account, who are not?

Iberia IHG Rewards Club Avios offer

Now, before I go on, a quick confession.  Back in July, IHG ran a similar offer with Virgin Atlantic’s Flying ClubThat offer was very badly described by Virgin.  On their website, it said you got 500 miles just for joining.  On the IHG landing page, it also said you got 500 miles just for joining.  In the small print – which I missed when I wrote about it – it said that you had to join up AND STAY to get the 500 miles.

There is no such doubt here.  The small print, and indeed the large print, makes it clear that NO STAY IS REQUIRED.  All you need to do is:

sign up for IHG Rewards Club via this page of their website

set up your profile so that you earn Iberia Plus Avios and not IHG Rewards Club points from your stays

and do it before 31st December

When do you get the Avios?

The wording is suitably vague:

“Avios will automatically be awarded by Airline partners on completion of Registration, and in any event before 15th February 2018”

but there is a good chance they arrive quickly.

Remember …. you need an Iberia Plus account

This offer ONLY works with Iberia Plus accounts.  If you don’t have one, go over to the Iberia website and join.

Once the 500 Avios have arrived, you can use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move them from Iberia Plus to your avios.com or British Airways Executive Club account.

You cannot transfer Avios out of Iberia Plus until the Iberia account is 90 days old.  If you join Iberia Plus as a new member today, and even if IHG posts your 500 Avios quickly, you won’t be able to move them across to BA until early January.

Get a fast track to IHG Gold status too

There is also a ‘fast track to Gold’ offer.  If you complete three nights at IHG hotels in the 90 days following registration, you will be upgraded.  Gold would usually require 10 nights.

This isn’t hugely beneficial, since you can get free Gold status by getting the free IHG Rewards Club credit card (representative APR 18.9%) – no spending required.  There are not many benefits to being Gold, although you will get a few hundred bonus points and usually a free drink or snack on every stay.

You can sign up, or discover more details, on this page of the IHG website.

Comments (43)

• Jovanna says:

If I renew Ambassador with points do I still receive the free night certificate?

• Nicholas says:

I’d be grateful if anyone (especially Rob!) could answer the following questions;

1. For those of us who, having clicked on Rob’s link, only see an option to select Iberia Airlines: is this the option to select in lieu of Iberia Plus – Avios? If not, where do I find the Iberia Plus – Avios option?

2. Which membership number is required – Avios or Iberia? If I am not a member of Iberia, just IHG Rewards Club, do I also have to become a member of Iberia too?

3. I do not have a passport – is this 500 free Avios offer applicable to me?

Many thanks!

• Rob says:

You select Iberia and must input an Iberia number. The news about needing a passport is new to me but the comments do seem to imply that.

• Nicholas says:

Thanks, Rob. I managed to join successfully by enetering my National Insurance number in the National Idenity Card field. It came up with an error, asking me to contact the Iberia Plus Service Centre, but an email arrived later welcoming me to Iberia Plus. So it seems a passport isn’t necessary after all!

• Delbert says:

Thanks for the IHG gen, Rob. Not a bad morning then, signed Mrs Delbert up to IHG as we both have mature Iberia accounts (unfortunately, I’m already an IHG member) and also took a spin down to Tesco to spend £10+ on the BA Amex blue to trigger the 500 Avios bonus.

I’m also considering applying for the Amex Nectar offer as £150 worth of Nectar points is about as good as they come.

• Roger says:

OT- Does anyone know what is the delay between Avios leaving Amex (for BAPP card) and hitting your BAEC account?

My some 30K Avios have left Amex account earlier this morning, but so far not appeared in my BAEC account.

• Delbert says:

Usually about three or four days to show up, Roger. Nothing to worry about.

• Delbert says:

Thanks for that, Steve. Doubled up for me and Mrs Delbert as recall that the 2000 offer flies off the shelf.

• the real harry1 says:

CIAO10 EUR10 off EUR30 for new users

might make a higher amount a bit cheaper…

• the real harry1 says:

nope

4000 would be EUR49 so still a bit pricier than the 2000 offer

• Delbert says:

Also looks like the offer expires in little over four and a half hours.

• SS says:

Has anyone had the points posted yet?

Thanks

• ieva says:

signed up, set up the profile, but still no points..