Starting Saturday: Get £5 back on £10 purchases using Amex when you ‘Shop Small’

If you have an American Express credit or charge card (some exceptions apply), you can make big savings on your Christmas shopping from this Saturday until 17th December with ‘Shop Small’.

American Express is the major UK sponsor of a scheme called ‘Shop Small’, designed to encourage you to shop in local independent stores instead of major chains.

Starting tomorrow, 2nd December, until 17th December, you will receive £5 cashback on EVERY transaction you make for £10 or more at a participating ‘Shop Small’ business.

There are very few rules apart from the fact that you can only get one £5 cashback per shop per card. You can, of course, register multiple American Express cards if you have more than one.

It is a simple process:

You MUST register your credit or charge card before making a ‘Shop Small’ purchase.

You can register British Airways, Harrods, Costco, Starwood, Gold, Platinum, Platinum Cashback, Amex Rewards and Green American Express cards by going to the American Express website, logging in and looking under ‘My Offers’ on the statement page.  Note that Corporate and pre-paid Amex cards do not qualify.

If you have an American Express card issued by Lloyds Bank or MBNA, you must register via this page.  TSB and Barclaycard Amex cards cannot take part in this offer for some unknown reason.

You can register supplementary cards (an additional card held by your partner on the same account) as long as it has a different card number to your main card and has its own separate Amex log-in.

shop-small-amex

Find participating small shops

The main Shop Small site is amexshopsmall.co.uk which contains a link to an interactive map where you can find participating shops in your area.  You will also often see a Shop Small sticker in a shop window.

Beware that this map, in previous years, has not been accurate. Often in a good way (some shops not featured give the credit) and often in a bad way (shops on the map are closed or don’t even accept Amex).  Your best option is to use your Amex whenever you can during the Shop Small period and see what hits.

It is worth noting that it is not just sellers of ‘things’ who are taking part. You will find cafes and even the occasional pub taking part!

Make a qualifying purchase of £10 or more

You can make one purchase per registered card per shop that is taking part in ‘Shop Small’.

If you have a directly issued American Express card, you should receive an email confirmation soon after making your purchase. This will not happen with MBNA or Lloyds Bank American Express cards but your cashback will still turn up.

A £5 credit for every £10 purchase will be added onto your credit card statement within a few days.

500 Avios (or 1500 IHG points) for a two-night IHG stay + 500 FREE Avios for new members
Save 50% on ALL BA long-haul economy Avios redemptions - but is it worth it?

Comments

1. davethewasp says:

Thanks all. I’ve got the separate P.O. offer as well as the local P.O. “shop” local. I’ll try both on our cards.

2. Slightly O/T: might also be old news…

Amex offer with Qatar..

Save to Card to get a £75 statement credit on eligible spend of £500+ online at Qatar Airways by 24/12/2017. Valid once per Card for the first 4,000 Cardmembers to save. Terms, location & payment restrictions apply.

3. Abhey Shah says:

I dump the data out of the shop small website for a couple of strategic locations by using developer tools on chrome (there’s a merchant request if you look at the network traffic) then doing
    jq .response_data.results[0].merchants[].name to give me a list a 100 at a time of the retailers participating.
    Hopefully that helps someone

• yes thanks. that is super helpful.

• @Abhey could you share more details?

• The Amex website retrieves the merchant data as a Json file. You can extract just the info you want from it by using a program called jq with the parameters I posted above. Hope that helps

4. I Can’t see the offer for my green amex charge card

5. The page at http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/shop-small/ actually lets you register both cards issued by Amex itself and Partner cards (eg Lloyds Avios Duo)

“£5 statement credit redeemable once per saved card per participating small business”

A lot of the qualifying businesses locally are fairly expensive restaurants and personal manicure stores etc but one where I really could spend only £10 and get a £5 credit back seems to be Motorists Discount Centre in Farnham Road, Slough. But I am surprised both to find they qualify as a small business (presumably because they are a franchise and not head office owned) or even take Amex at all.

I looked at a list of 100 businesses participating in the offer in Windsor and not one of them is a restaurant or store I would ever normally consider shopping at. Same story in Gerrards Cross, Beaconsfield, Uxbridge or High Wycombe.

6. I’m in Windsor too but work in the city.
    The only one in Windsor I’ll be using it at is the local brewery – Windsor and Eton. Can’t see anything else that interests me.
    Quite a few in the City though.

7. My two favourite local pubs are in – yay. Nine cards (me & OH). That’s 18 x 3-pint purchases.
    So 54 pints in total – and I only have a fortnight to do it. I’ll manage, somehow….

8. Rob / anyone –
    Do you know – how much of the £5 credit is funded by the retailer, and how much by Amex?

I would hate to think that I/we might be costing the small traders a lot from multi-card use. *Extra* business is great, but if we would be using them anyway it could be a major expense to small shops & pubs.

• the real harry1 says:

100% funded by Amex

• You are far too nice a person. The year before last AMEX would credit you based on a receipt from the store for a purchase if you got there and they didn’t take AMEX. Did that happen last year as well?

• Last year 3 small shop owners I visited did not even know, they were included in this promo…100% amex funded.

9. the real harry1 says:

bad start to Shop Small for me – did a test buy at a chain of Spars that worked fine LY though not on the map then either – no success email received

I’ll give it one more go at another of their outlets, but sounds like far fewer half price stamps this year

• Has anyone tried a One Stop yet?!

• I have made a few purchases in somewhere on the list and no email received and it was chip and pin. Received a email immediately for a earlier purchase so a bit worried about those as two were on Lloyds Amex who hard hard to get hold of for this promotion!

10. Scallder says:

Data point – just used 8 cards in our local butcher to do our Chritsmas meat. Did it all contactless to make it easier – 6 Amex issued cards had no emails (as expected) but both my wife and I received an email from Lloyds for our Lloyds Amex cards saying it had hit for that shop. So no need to necessarily do chip and pin using Lloyds cards to get confirmation emails…

11. Gillian Mutton says:

Just landed from INV, not a newspaper in sight at Gate or inflight and not even a Scottish DM in the Aspire Lounge.!
    New.. to me…. safety video, the mildly amusing one with Gillian Anderson was shown .
    5 of us in 12 seat CE , prioritised ,got a bus to ourselves for transport to terminal as some other flight pinched our stand! First time that’s ever happened!

12. What's the Point says:

First shop this morning and I got the emails, but than after 12 I hardly got any emails for other stores I shopped in. I then went back to the store I went first thing and bought some other stuff with other Amex issued cards – no emails!

What’s going on Amex????

13. Just got back from dinner. The restaurant is listed on the Amex shop small page but came to pay and they don’t even accept Amex! Just phoned Amex, person I spoke to said she’ll credit my acct with £5 anyway and apologised.

• Snap, I had this last year. If any listed shops/restaurnants etc on the map no longer offer Amex just drop amex a message they will credit you the £5 as goodwill (Not saying it’s guaranteed but it’s worked for me)

• Had the same problem today and did the same on amex live chat – when pushed they would also issue credit for all cards on the account.

14. The way to go is gift vouchers – I have managed a year of nearly half price curries by buying vouchers during last year’s shop small for many of the local curry houses, many of which appear on shop small.

The best ever for me was one pub that had a minimum spend of £10 on a card, but they would usually just charge you £10 on the card and give you the change in cash. So a £4.50 pint would actually end up with me being PAID 50p to drink the pint!

15. Heather says:

shop small has disappeared out of my saved offers??

16. What's the Point says:

The offer is still showing in my saved offers area, but again today I have had no tracking emails for using multiple cards in multiple stores.
    Even though another unrelated offer generated an email when I used it this afternoon.
    Has Amex IT hit some issues on this one????

17. Not getting all the emails myself, will have to keep a record of what is posting, etc…

Although did get one for spend at a restaurant that wasn’t even listed on a map, wish I’d known I’d of tried splitting the bill over more than 1 card.

18. Apart from TRH getting lashed on awesome Cornish beers & munching on oriental takeaways,what are people’s best sweet spots so far.?

Mine is splitting terrific breakfast this am over 3 cards, and some top notch craft beers from specialist off licence, 3 separate purchases of £11ish each.

Sadly too pushed for time to make it to Serano & Manchego in Edinburgh today, anyone want to guess if you can get this offer to trigger remotely, ie mail order Restuarant gift vouchers???

• If it was a case of phoning them and they process the card manually then post them out to you I’d imagine there was a decent chance.

19. EvilDoctorK says:

I’ve also only gotten one email per day , despite several transactions ( both today and Saturday) .. none of the credits seem to have posted to my account yet at all so not sure if they are working.

I’m guessing they’re only sending one email per card per day and the transactions should work.